Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

MLK VII

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• HB and I have been getting in a few overnites in the southern end of the park. We recently went to Panther Mtn. Stealthed and then walked by Stone Memorial Shelter. We are talking about taking 7 to Big Hill Shelter for Saturday nite. The angles to get there are varied, but it has a nice view and some escapes...........................................Discuss?
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I just checked with the Authorities, Route 106 will be open on the east side from 7 lakes to the Palisade parkway exit 14 or 15. Lake Welch Drive will not be open, nor the west side of 106. From Skannatati parking lot, the ‘Long Path’ runs SOBO 3.6 miles to Big Hill. There are a few routes of 6+ from Reeves Meadow parking on 7 lakes drive near Sloatsburg. Less than 2 miles nobo or Eabo there are trailhead pull off parking. I will recon all the possible parking by MLK.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Astro wrote:

I am hoping to make MLK XIV. :)
      XIV, isn't that 14 in real numbers?
      That will be 7 years into the future.
      Lets see 66 + 7, Yikes! I'd be 73 8o
      By then I might have to do MLK in the Bear Mountain Inn, not just for brunch but for sleeping too.
      Now I'm really feeling old. Today Kathy and I spent 2 hours with an Elder Lawyer starting to set up our wills, power of attorney , living will, medical proxy, and a non-revocable trust. This getting old stuff is complicated !
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

XIV, isn't that 14 in real numbers?That will be 7 years into the future.
      Lets see 66 + 7, Yikes! I'd be 73 8o
      By then I might have to do MLK in the Bear Mountain Inn, not just for brunch but for sleeping too.
      Now I'm really feeling old. Today Kathy and I spent 2 hours with an Elder Lawyer starting to set up our wills, power of attorney , living will, medical proxy, and a non-revocable trust. This getting old stuff is complicated !
      Great you are getting all of that taken care of now, but I hope you end up showing them you got another good 30 years left in you! :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

maybe global warming will make hiking in january possible by then.
      Yeah the Florida Trail is probably a little MLK weekend friendly for us southerners. NY is probably nice for us come around Memorial Day. 8)
      and on memorial day i bet we can yogi some burgers and brats at bear mtn!
      May weather, burgers, and brats, now that is my kind of hiking. 8)
    • a quick thread drift since we're talking about new york...

i learned from jerry seinfeld that you live IN the city, but ON long island.

and you get IN a car, but you TAKE an uber.

i'm sure it's funnier when he says it. it's a 5 minute or so bit...

back to MLK.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

a quick thread drift since we're talking about new york...

back to MLK.
      And even though 2 boroughs of New York City are on Long Island geographically, Queens and Brooklyn, when people say they live on Long Island it always means they live in the 2 counties east of Queens and Brooklyn, Nassau and Suffolk counties.
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

back to MLK.
      And even though 2 boroughs of New York City are on Long Island geographically, Queens and Brooklyn, when people say they live on Long Island it always means they live in the 2 counties east of Queens and Brooklyn, Nassau and Suffolk counties.
      Learned something new again. If someone asked if I had been to Long Island I would have said no. But I have been to Queens and Brooklyn. :)
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

back to MLK.
      Learned something new again. If someone asked if I had been to Long Island I would have said no. But I have been to Queens and Brooklyn. :)
      Then you really haven't been to Long Island :D
      You have to at least cross the boarder into Nassau county to say you've been to Long Island.
      I remember as a kid the 2 counties of Nassau and Suffolk talked about becoming their own state.
      Because we pay so much of New York State's taxes that idea was squashed very quickly.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

back to MLK.
      Then you really haven't been to Long Island :D You have to at least cross the boarder into Nassau county to say you've been to Long Island.
      I remember as a kid the 2 counties of Nassau and Suffolk talked about becoming their own state.
      Because we pay so much of New York State's taxes that idea was squashed very quickly.
      But you said ... :rolleyes:
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

back to MLK.
      My buddy’s old roomate was Brooklyn born and raised. We referred to him as being “from Long Island” every chance we had.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<