Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Lodging before Havasu Falls hike?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lodging before Havasu Falls hike?

We're are getting ready to get our permits and reservations for our Havasu Falls hike. And we are hoping someone has some ideas of where to stay before we start our hike?
      Also if anyone has hiked Mooney Falls to Beaver Falls, how long did it take?
      what about Mooney Falls to the Colorado River and back?

Dmax wrote:

We're are getting ready to get our permits and reservations for our Havasu Falls hike. And we are hoping someone has some ideas of where to stay before we start our hike?
      Also if anyone has hiked Mooney Falls to Beaver Falls, how long did it take?
      what about Mooney Falls to the Colorado River and back?

Dmax,
      My husband and I spent a couple of weeks on vacation in northern AZ a couple of years ago. I did a good bit of research into hiking to Havasupai Falls at the time, since we'd heard so much about the beauty of the falls and the great hiking. There are definitely some things you need to research and then make your own decision.

Unless something has changed, there is only one motel in Supai Village, which is about as close as you can get to the trailhead. It isn't the Hilton, but is probably fine for hiker trash who aren't expecting overly much. Here's a link: http://www.abouthavasufalls.com/lodge.html

There are also a couple of campgrounds you could stay at. However, I repeatedly heard many negative things about staying there, all of which had to deal with drug problems and theft. If you choose to stay there, be aware and alert. If you do some online research you will find some disturbing information. We were staying in AZ with some folks a couple of years ago, and they actively discouraged us from visiting the area due to the crime rate and lack of recourse if you are a victim of criminal activity. Theft is common at the trailhead and campground, and there has been one murder on the trail. Keep in mind that if a criminal act occurs, you will be dealing with the tribal police, who from all accounts are stretched pretty thin.
      Here is a link that may cause you some concern:
      http://www.backpacker.com/june_2007_features_freefall_tragedy_in_the_grand_canyon/articles/11033?page=17
      I'm not saying don't go there, but do some research first. We trusted the friends we were staying with, They'd lived in AZ for many years and were familiar with Havasupai Falls. When they told us that drugs and theft were a big problem, we decided not to go there.
      You can PM me if you need to discuss anything further.

I've done Alot of net research. I know the closest hotel is 60 miles from the trailhead. 8 miles down the trail Is Supai Village. The closest is in Peach Springs.. Then there's the cavern hotel. Wouldn't it be cool to spend the night down there. But that one and Peach Springs is about all I can come up with. Kinda hoping someone knew of some others. Even if they are towards Flagstaff of Bull Head. ... If I could just get my brother to drive up from Tucson and give me a report. .. I even read somewhere around Peach Springs is a hotel with a small Route 66 bar on the property. I just can't find the name of it. .... And I've lost all of my contacts from Holbrook, where I went through elementary school. ....

When we get out of the canyon I have to find a place to stay between there and Hoover dam for one night. Then our Black Canyon trip starts. That's the one Im looking forward to
    • We stayed at the Havasupai Lodge in Peach Springs. It was a perfect place to stay. The rooms were nice and the hotel has a restaurant with some really good food. We left before breakfast started so we ordered the brown sack breakfast to go. So did Alot of the other hikers that were staying there too.

We left before sunup and headed down the hwy. it's 9 miles till you hit the turn off. Be careful if you plan on going fast through here. We saw one giant elk and farther up there were two more in the road. It is also alittle rough in a few places (our moto .. Drive it like a rental .. Lol). After the hike on our way out down this road we saw one law enforcement officer (glad I wasn't speeding). ..

Down in the village we saw multiple law enforcement officers. There is also a ranger set up right by Havasu Falls.

We can't wait to do this trip again!!!