Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trail Days

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Shellie and I received a letter from a couple whom we rented a house from last year at Trail Days. We're considering doing this again this year and are just throwing it out there to see if anybody might be interested in joining in as well. Like another café get-together. Who knows, we may run into the wolf and hikerboy :)
      Rather than go into a lot of detail here, I'll just paste and excerpt from the letter and go from there. It slept 6 last without putting anyone on the floor which they would of had no problem with (LOL) Anyway, here's a bit of the letter.
      Hello Bobbjo & Shellie,
      I have sold the business I owned and now have officially retired. This will give us more time with the grandchildren and the vacation rental home. We have added another bedroom and a queen bed upstairs. Also, as soon as the weather breaks, we will be opening up an area where we have the creek adding a picnic table and a fire pit. We replaced the fence near the creek and added a gate.

We were going to fence out the horses completely, but there have been a lot of people who have expressed the joy of the horses, so we will just fence them out of the area we are going to expand then everyone will enjoy the best of two worlds.

Trail days this year will be May 16, 17, and 18 and I was wondering if you all might want to visit us then. Please let me know as soon as possible because those days book up real soon.
      That's basically it minus the personal stuff.

The place is about 11 miles out of town and ran about $65 per person, split 5 ways for the 3 days 2 nights. I don't expect it to be much different this year and probably less the more that you have go in on it even with the added bedroom. All the bedrooms were equally as nice to each other.
      I sent a response and am waiting to hear back from her.
      I have to leave now for a couple of hours so if you are interested and have any questions post them here and maybe I can answer them when I get back.
      Who knows - maybe this is one of those café family things we can start doing with a great event, great place, great location and a great time of year to do it.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • hikerboy wrote:

im hoping to hit damascus by that time, but i should have a place to stay with my friends fidjit and dot.com

I'm hoping we can put this together and possibly make it a yearly café thingy and we'd really like to see you there and you know it goes unsaid that if we're there you gotta place with us too. I got an update from the folks that I'll post in a minute. It would be great to put together some kind of picnic with everybody or something.
    • Here is the latest from the folks we rented the house from just outside of Damascus.
      Obviously the more the merrier - and the less it costs.

Hello Bobbyjo and Shellie,

The rate for the house is the same as last year. For up to 6 people $150 per night over 6 an additional $15 per person. We can sleep

9 and if someone wants to use the couch, we can accommodate 10. If you all decide to come, let me know and your favorite cake or pie will be waiting for your arrival. I love to cook and now I will have plenty of time to cook for my friends.

Nice folks as you can see.
      I'll try to figure out how to post a map of the exact location in relationship to Damascus. The road you turn on is only a couple of miles out of town, but then it's a little drive to the place. Leisurely ride out in to the country. Very nice.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

Milkman, the hubby and I are definitely interested in sharing the house with you for Trail Days this year. We had to cancel last year due to a death in the family. Keep us posted!

Was so sorry to hear about your Aunt. Again, our sympathy and prayers.
      I've let the folks know that we want the place again and sent off the deposit.
      So far is just ya'll and us. (yuins and us)

For anybody else that may be interested in joining us here is the link to the place. You can just google map the address from downtown Damascus to see where it is. It's not quite 11 miles out of town.
      Very peaceful area out in the country.
      Bicycles could even be road a couple of miles down the country road to the Alvarado Station which is a Creeper Trail access point and from there road into town via the trail. Vehicles could also be left here in a good sized parking lot where there is a little store and ice cream shop and light sandwich grill.
      Just throwing out another option.
      http://www.alvaradovacationrentalhome.com/Blank.html
    • milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Milkman, the hubby and I are definitely interested in sharing the house with you for Trail Days this year. We had to cancel last year due to a death in the family. Keep us posted!

For anybody else that may be interested in joining us here is the link to the place. You can just google map the address from downtown Damascus to see where it is. It's not quite 11 miles out of town.
      Bicycles could even be road a couple of miles down the country road to the Alvarado Station which is a Creeper Trail access point and from there road into town via the trail. Vehicles could also be left here in a good sized parking lot where there is a little store and ice cream shop and light sandwich grill.

I wish my Timeshare was a different week.....we would be there! With cheesecake! :(
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

I wish my Timeshare was a different week.....we would be there! With cheesecake! :(
      Pull an HB Lou..just say f*** it, hehe God bless em, wish I had it like that.
    • rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

TOO expensive 'Socks, I'll loose it if I don't use it. Besides, St. John isn't too shabby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOOsldAkUi4
    • CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

TOO expensive 'Socks, I'll loose it if I don't use it. Besides, St. John isn't too shabby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOOsldAkUi4
      yep, gotta keep mama happy. Having retired recently, I'm on a very tight "disposable income" budget...So I know what ya mean. I gotta make my trips count this year, probably won't do as many as I'd like..freakin gas money kills ya, to go anywhere is a hundred dollar bill. I might have to start "Lumpin" again. 2.gif
    • This looks like fun. I may join in ... sans hubby, just have to check my schedule at home and see if the fam can do without me for another long weekend!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • moose717 wrote:

This looks like fun. I may join in ... sans hubby, just have to check my schedule at home and see if the fam can do without me for another long weekend!

Well you know you got a place to stay and you'd be more than welcome and it be a pleasure to meet you. Just let us know. P.S. don't forget your bike. :)
    • milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

This looks like fun. I may join in ... sans hubby, just have to check my schedule at home and see if the fam can do without me for another long weekend!

Well you know you got a place to stay and you'd be more than welcome and it be a pleasure to meet you. Just let us know. P.S. don't forget your bike. :)

My bike ???? I have a brand new bike I got for my birthday 2.5 years ago. I've been on it twice. I don't have the patience to figure out how to change the gears ... gif.010 I guess I could have one of the kids look at it and just tell me what to do :)
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • moose717 wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

My bike ???? I have a brand new bike I got for my birthday 2.5 years ago. I've been on it twice. I don't have the patience to figure out how to change the gears ... gif.010 I guess I could have one of the kids look at it and just tell me what to do :)

Tell them you need a crash course in biking 101. gif.002
    • milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Did somebody say bike? I love bikes! Bike as in bicycle though! If I didn't love bicycles then I wouldn't have ridden one from SWFL to NWGA twice! Let me just make it crystal clear: I LOVE BIKES!
      "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006
    • DakotaJoe wrote:

Did somebody say bike? I love bikes! Bike as in bicycle though! If I didn't love bicycles then I wouldn't have ridden one from SWFL to NWGA twice! Let me just make it crystal clear: I LOVE BIKES!

Me too. I used to be a mechanic in a bike shop. There was a time when bikes was all I did.
    • DakotaJoe wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

BIcycles.....your talking MM and my language!
    • CoachLou wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

BIcycles.....your talking MM and my language!

Too bad you can't make it Lou. I fully understand why though. That under sea is my other world. I'm gonna finally get legally certified in March. Nitrox too! :ohmy:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I want to know more about Trail Days.

What makes it so great?
      How crowded is it?
      What do spectators do?
      What's your most favorite and least favorite thing about it?
      if you like to drink a lot then it's for you. the last good trail days was in 2001. they moved it off the river the next year. it's too big now. lotta non-hikers come. hard core drugs and rapes at the campground
    • LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I want to know more about Trail Days.

What makes it so great?
      How crowded is it?
      What do spectators do?
      What's your most favorite and least favorite thing about it?
      if you like to drink a lot then it's for you. the last good trail days was in 2001. they moved it off the river the next year. it's too big now. lotta non-hikers come. hard core drugs and rapes at the campground
      Sounds like a good time!
    • milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Moose, I pm'd you, you probably haven't seen it. Are you still thinking about going? My daughter is graduating earlier than I thought so I might go.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Moose, I pm'd you, you probably haven't seen it. Are you still thinking about going? My daughter is graduating earlier than I thought so I might go.

We're back in Bama now and we're getting the house opened up and getting ready to go. We got a great place to stay and there's room for ya'll.
    • milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

We're back in Bama now and we're getting the house opened up and getting ready to go. We got a great place to stay and there's room for ya'll.

Still looking at 2015 MM!
      Really sad I can't make this year.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I'm glad you and Shellie had a safe trip. Do ya'll usually stay until Monday?
      Lost in the right direction.