Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

show us your DIY projects

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• show us your DIY projects

show us what you've made :ie stoves, packs, tents...gear in general.

My next project and one I've been gathering material for a while is a "Pulk" (here's one "Laughing Dog" made, cool right!) still need the sled, and I'm toying with making a waist belt...not sure yet.

rocksNsocks wrote:

My next project and one I've been gathering material for a while is a "Pulk" (here's one "Laughing Dog" made, cool right!) still need the sled, and I'm toying with making a waist belt...not sure yet.

I have a PDF file of a handbook on making them if interested. Has various layouts of pole systems. Need an email to send it to PM me if interested.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

I have a PDF file of a handbook on making them if interested. Has various layouts of pole systems. Need an email to send it to PM me if interested.
      My Man...thanks Mike, that would be great. I have kind of an idea, but I'm sure it would be a great help and avoid any pit falls...like placements of things I may have not taken into consideration. In my profile and available to friends to access should be my e-mail info, and #'s, if you do not see it there let me know and I'll send it along another way. On second thought I'll shoot you a PM, that's probably easier....but curious if my info is available to friends...would you take a peek at my profile please, thanks in advance.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Contact info is not in your profile. Or I could be doing it all wrong! :woohoo: :woohoo: Info sent.
      hmm, I'll check my security setings.

Just got the pulk info, it's not only awesome, it's thorough and I'm sure will answer any questions I have, thanks so much, that is a great jumping off point and will set me up for success.

You da man! :)

and now I'm off to snow some shoe...i mean, shoe snow some...on never mind...taking a walk with those things on my feet. :silly:

Prepping for that trip I tried making a fiberglas one from scratch. Made a jig, steamed some oak to make a frame, covered it with strafoam which I shaved down till I had the design right & great lines on it. Just never thought about the foam melting when I applied the fibergalss resin...Thus went with store bought plastic sleds!

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Prepping for that trip I tried making a fiberglas one from scratch. Made a jig, steamed some oak to make a frame, covered it with strafoam which I shaved down till I had the design right & great lines on it. Just never thought about the foam melting when I applied the fibergalss resin...Thus went with store bought plastic sleds!

Oh that's so sad, 2.gif I'm sorry I'm laughin my arse off right now, I can see the look on your face as it started to melt...ah man. That's how we all learn I spose, I've had my snaffues too.

Did I every tell ya bout the time I built a 17' wooden kayak, when I went to deck it, I place the cockpit facing towards the stern and had to take it off and switch it around....major brain fart...ugh!

fatal error, picture in gallery

Mountain-Mike wrote:

It didn't melt before my eyes. I got the fiberglass on & when I went down the next morning it looked like a transparent piece of cheap clear tarp over thow on the wood frame. My grand plans melted like the styrafoam I used & shaped! 2.gif
      ouch, what a mess...like pouring gasoline into a styrofoam cup, the gas just laughs at the cup. Mawhahaha
    • Re:Re: show us your DIY projects

rocksNsocks wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

My Man...thanks Mike, that would be great. I have kind of an idea, but I'm sure it would be a great help and avoid any pit falls...like placements of things I may have not taken into consideration. In my profile and available to friends to access should be my e-mail info, and #'s, if you do not see it there let me know and I'll send it along another way. On second thought I'll shoot you a PM, that's probably easier....but curious if my info is available to friends...would you take a peek at my profile please, thanks in advance.

I don't think your email address is visible to others from your profile. I have that set as private information.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: show us your DIY projects

Rasty wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

I don't think your email address is visible to others from your profile. I have that set as private information.
      ah, I thought I remembered seeing little suitcase icon to the right where I could choose the level of security, I chose friends only for the personal stuff. But no probalem, will just submit info as need be, prolly better that way anyhow, thanks for the heads up Rasty.

I've had one of those sleds living in my basement for 2 years waiting to be made into a pulk. I've also got the PDF book of instructions. I was hoping the sled would carry my pack so I wouldn't have a waist belt to attach the thing too. Guess I'd need to get a belt with maybe some kind of harness attached.

LIhikers wrote:

I've had one of those sleds living in my basement for 2 years waiting to be made into a pulk. I've also got the PDF book of instructions. I was hoping the sled would carry my pack so I wouldn't have a waist belt to attach the thing too. Guess I'd need to get a belt with maybe some kind of harness attached.
      Cool, I've been eyeing my kids sled, but the wife says no get your own...So I'm waitin for em to go on sale, or find one in the trash at the local hill that a father threw away cause he figured it was disposable, in years past I must have seen 10. I love biding my time for things to come my way...and they always do. lifes funny that way.

Okay. I am off to the Dollar Store and redemption center to get parts for more stoves. I am very happy with my stove except for the priming time. I think I have an idea. :woohoo: I also learned my timer is junk. :angry: I was testing a stove today and was looking when the clock went from 1:55 to 4:56.

Did I say I love my survival bracelet yet? Thank you SS.

49.gif gif.014 gif.014 49.gif
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Okay. I am off to the Dollar Store and redemption center to get parts for more stoves. I am very happy with my stove except for the priming time. I think I have an idea. :woohoo: I also learned my timer is junk. :angry: I was testing a stove today and was looking when the clock went from 1:55 to 4:56.

Did I say I love my survival bracelet yet? Thank you SS.

49.gif gif.014 gif.014 49.gif
      Once a tinkerer always a tinkerer. Go get em Bird brain, it's what we do.
    • Re:show us your DIY projects

Trebor wrote:

Here is a alchy stove that I make out a aluminum water bottle that I get at Goodwill for a buck a piece. I've made close to two dozen and give them away to friends or people that I meet on the trail.

Detail. We need details. Is this the roll top design, the cobalt, etc..? How many holes. What diameter holes? Dimensions of stove? Do you use a wick? If so, what material? gif.005

Trebor gave me one of his stoves. It works great once you learn how much HEET to throw in it so you don't waste fuel and it is ultra light!
      "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

BirdBrain wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Here is a alchy stove that I make out a aluminum water bottle that I get at Goodwill for a buck a piece. I've made close to two dozen and give them away to friends or people that I meet on the trail.

Detail. We need details. Is this the roll top design, the cobalt, etc..? How many holes. What diameter holes? Dimensions of stove? Do you use a wick? If so, what material? gif.005
      . The best way for me to answer is to direct you to YouTube. Search for "aluminum water bottle stove" and you'll find a how to type video. I do mine just a little different. If you have any trouble making one send me a PM and I'll send one to you.
      RIAP

Trebor wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Trebor wrote:

. The best way for me to answer is to direct you to YouTube. Search for "aluminum water bottle stove" and you'll find a how to type video. I do mine just a little different. If you have any trouble making one send me a PM and I'll send one to you.

I make them too. I was just ccomparing notes. Just made a cobalt type one.

BirdBrain wrote:

2 of my latest. The one on left is traditional. The one one right is cobalt knockoff with wick in wall.

SWEET 49.gif If I sent you a JD aluminum bottle, could you make one for my son??? He's stationed at Fort Campbell (USAF) and has toured the Jack Distillery a few times :ohmy: , he would love it :) I sent the bottle to Dan(Zelph) but he said it wasn't the right diameter for his press/jig...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

2 of my latest. The one on left is traditional. The one one right is cobalt knockoff with wick in wall.

SWEET 49.gif If I sent you a JD aluminum bottle, could you make one for my son??? He's stationed at Fort Campbell (USAF) and has toured the Jack Distillery a few times :ohmy: , he would love it :) I sent the bottle to Dan(Zelph) but he said it wasn't the right diameter for his press/jig...

Are these the bottles? It might be more cost effective for me to locate them locally. I get my bottles from a local redemption center. I have an advantage over Zelph. I don't use a professional press/jig. I have a disadvantage over Zelph. I don't use a professional press/jig. My stoves would not be the same quality as his, but I can make them. I made one stove from this type of bottle. The finished product is as high as the word quality and has Tennessee on the rolled rim. PM me the address. I will see what can be done.

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Are these the bottles? It might be more cost effective for me to locate them locally. I get my bottles from a local redemption center. I have an advantage over Zelph. I don't use a professional press/jig. I have a disadvantage over Zelph. I don't use a professional press/jig. My stoves would not be the same quality as his, but I can make them. I made one stove from this type of bottle. The finished product is as high as the word quality and has Tennessee on the rolled rim. PM me the address. I will see what can be done.

Yep, its the one on the left... Found it in the middle of "no where" South of DWG Gap... I have no prob sending you the bottle and payin' for the shipping costs, that's what I did with Dan... In return I will make you my version of a "Survival Bracelet"... Using old skool Bozeman Mountain Works Air-Core Pro Dyneema... PM incoming...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Yep, its the one on the left... Found it in the middle of "no where" South of DWG Gap... I have no prob sending you the bottle and payin' for the shipping costs, that's what I did with Dan... In return I will make you my version of a "Survival Bracelet"... Using old skool Bozeman Mountain Works Air-Core Pro Dyneema... PM incoming...

I recently had a similar discussion with Shellie Shuttle and Milkman. She made me a beautiful survival bracelet and refused payment. I do not think it is without coincident that I have been given the opportunity to repay in kind. I would not be surprised if a similar thing will happen to you soon too. I think I know how you would react.

The down side to sending bottles is that I might crush it in my efforts to make a stove. My success rate is not perfect. I am using a vise and wooden blocks. Besides, I get them for a nickel at the redemption store. The down side to that is that they do not come in very often. Do you still want to mail one that might get ruined or do you want to have me look for them instead?

Ok get ready for my DIY Gear Bombardment:
      tyvek gloves

tyvek tent stake bags

vest

kinsman pullover with hand warmer pockets

"parcho" parka, poncho and pack cover all n one

coozie, tyvek mittens and cuben stake bag

cuben dry bag, toilet dry bag, cuben clothes dry bag

cuben tarp and net tent and my favorite beer
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose