Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

k cup camping

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• k cup camping

i read a tutorial on using k cup coffee without the brewer... not sure that there is any advantage to camping with that -- but you can use the mini filter inside the k cup, apparently. I am more interested in using the k cup chai brew -- that doesn't have a filter and can be just added to hot water. anybody use k cups camping? i will admit, the most attractive reason for using them is that they are just sitting around my office.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • k cup camping

I am always interested in new caffeine delivery methods on the trail. I actually tried just caffeine pills once. That was a flop. Ended up doing tea bags on Maine walk. For me, weight to benefit must be considered with every item. I see myself carrying a weeks worth of stuff on average on all of my future long walks. I probably will do Folger Singles on my next walk. After looking a the tutorial, it looks like a lot of work and would require 2 cups to do the k cup coffee thing on the trail. Why not just dump all the chai brew into 1 Ziploc and scoop as needed if it does not require a filter?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • k cup camping

BirdBrain wrote:

I am always interested in new caffeine delivery methods on the trail. I actually tried just caffeine pills once. That was a flop. Ended up doing tea bags on Maine walk. For me, weight to benefit must be considered with every item. I see myself carrying a weeks worth of stuff on average on all of my future long walks. I probably will do Folger Singles on my next walk. After looking a the tutorial, it looks like a lot of work and would require 2 cups to do the k cup coffee thing on the trail. Why not just dump all the chai brew into 1 Ziploc and scoop as needed if it does not require a filter?

i hate it when people are rational. and right. yup, that's what i'll do.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • k cup camping

1azarus wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

i hate it when people are rational. and right. yup, that's what i'll do.

Sounds like we would hit it off good. I am seldom right or rational. I often think I am, which makes things that much more entertaining.
    • k cup camping

49.gif Coffee! Coffee! That's our drink!
      If we don't have it, we can't think! 49.gif

If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going. I'll be bringing a pour-over Melitta cone, a few paper filters, and some pill envelopes filled with ground coffee. I brew into a Nalgene bottle with a Reflectix jacket. It holds the warmth pretty well. Sometimes the coffee comes from cut-open K cups. :)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • k cup camping

BirdBrain wrote:

Yea but why were they a flop?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • k cup camping

WiseOldOwl wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Yea but why were they a flop?

Wasn't hot. Did not taste as good. Turns out I like a hot drink at the end of a walk.
    • k cup camping

You and I would be happy as a lark with a bandana and crushed beans with an alky stove. Hot water with a K cup and poke holes? Honest, I have a Keurig! - I am not crazy about it... its not green - it wastes much of the coffee (you can make two cups back to back by rotating the K cup) vs Mr Coffee - K cup is occasionally watery...
    • k cup camping

AnotherKevin wrote:

If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going. I'll be bringing a pour-over Melitta cone, a few paper filters, and some pill envelopes filled with ground coffee. I brew into a Nalgene bottle with a Reflectix jacket. It holds the warmth pretty well. Sometimes the coffee comes from cut-open K cups. :)

Have you ever tried a coffee press? I use this at home but don't want to fool with the grounds while hiking.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • k cup camping

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Have you ever tried a coffee press? I use this at home but don't want to fool with the grounds while hiking.

Yes. Use it at home. Too heavy for trail. I know I am a broken record with that answer. But it applies to so much stuff.
    • k cup camping

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Yes. Use it at home. Too heavy for trail. I know I am a broken record with that answer. But it applies to so much stuff.

This one isn't very heavy. I'd consider using it if I could bury the grounds.. but LNT and all.
    • k cup camping

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

This one isn't very heavy. I'd consider using it if I could bury the grounds.. but LNT and all.

There are many luxury items that are personal preference. I carry a heavy camera. Many would not. As a rule, if there is a lighter option, I opt for that. The lightest option is to leave the item home. This is not so much an issue if you are doing 2 day hikes. I carry as much as 10 days of supplies at a time. Every gram counts for me. It is not fun to carry 40 lbs over 4000' hills in Maine. Cowboy coffee is lightest option to carry coffee. I will likely do Folger's singles on my next hike.
    • k cup camping

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

There are many luxury items that are personal preference. I carry a heavy camera. Many would not. As a rule, if there is a lighter option, I opt for that. The lightest option is to leave the item home. This is not so much an issue if you are doing 2 day hikes. I carry as much as 10 days of supplies at a time. Every gram counts for me. It is not fun to carry 40 lbs over 4000' hills in Maine. Cowboy coffee is lightest option to carry coffee. I will likely do Folger's singles on my next hike.

I like those Folgers singles, the Tasters Choice singles, heck I like those cups you get out of the machines at the rest areas. Cowboy coffee is the best. You get added grounds to it, and drinking the grounds gives you a better buzzzzzzzzzzzz.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • k cup camping

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I like those Folgers singles, the Tasters Choice singles, heck I like those cups you get out of the machines at the rest areas. Cowboy coffee is the best. You get added grounds to it, and drinking the grounds gives you a better buzzzzzzzzzzzz.

If making coffee for more than myself it's often cowboy coffee. A few things I have learned over the years is to never boil it. That releases the bitterness. I'll start with boiling water. Remove from heat & add coffee. Let it seep a few minutes preferably wrapped in cozy or spare clothes. Tap the side of the pot to settle grounds & then a few drops of cool water will break the surface tention & settle the rest of grounds.
    • k cup camping

Mountain-Mike wrote:

What I use http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80750 Light, no filter needed, easy to clean & filter cup dumps easily into trash bag. A bit bulky but love the fresh brewed coffee in the morning.

That is same concept as AK's setup. I use his setup on sailboat. MM, sending you another PM.
    • k cup camping

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

The lighter the better for me too BB. I refuse to go anywhere without my knitting and coffee though!
    • k cup camping

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

The lighter the better for me too BB. I refuse to go anywhere without my knitting and coffee though!

Hmm, two sentences are missing from that post...Oh well not important...and sorry for the thread drift...
      :)
    • k cup camping

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Hmm, two sentences are missing from that post...Oh well not important...and sorry for the thread drift...

I do not believe you need to apologize for thread drift around here.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Re: k cup camping

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I do not believe you need to apologize for thread drift around here.

It's almost required
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: k cup camping

Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty, just logged on via PC and saw how big that cup pic was...it made me cross eyed.. How could I have re-sized it? I did it from my iphone.

Personally I prefer a bigger cup of coffee in the morning. Besides, resizing it won't make it any lighter :evil: gif.001

Maybe I"ll switch to decaf to lighten the load gif.014
    • k cup camping

K Cup idea, not going to happen. The K-Cups rely on back pressure and infusion within the cup to properly brew, you're not going to be able to come up with a simple solution on the trail that results in a decent cup of coffee. Plus the K-Cups just introduce more trash and cost more than is necessary. They are marked up in price too. I can't find the tutorial you mentioned 1asurus I have been to Mars to see the machines that make the k-cups, in operation.

Pack a small screen or sieve to pour your coffee through into your mug after it has brewed in your pot, easy. Or go low key and just do a simple cowboy coffee, stir the top of your mug with a stick to settle the grounds to the bottom, sip slowly. Trader Joes now has a Via knockoff with cream and sugar that is excellent.

[IMG:http://stellasingleton.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/coffeelr-550x365.jpg]

The easiest ways to make coffee are usually the lightest and make a strong cup.
    • k cup camping

BirdBrain wrote:

Cowboy coffee or Folger's singles. Burn the singles in your campfire at night.

I made my own coffee singles tonight. It took 30 seconds to scoop a tbsp of coffee in the bag and then iron it closed. The bags are 100% biodegradable. I'm not sure 1 tbsp will be enough. I'll try it it tomorrow.
      Images
      • image_2014-03-02.jpg

54.12 kB, 795×800, viewed 213 times
      • image_2014-03-02-2.jpg

47.22 kB, 607×800, viewed 195 times
    • k cup camping

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Cowboy coffee or Folger's singles. Burn the singles in your campfire at night.

I made my own coffee singles tonight. It took 30 seconds to scoop a tbsp of coffee in the bag and then iron it closed. The bags are 100% biodegradable. I'm not sure 1 tbsp will be enough. I'll try it it tomorrow.

This is a big thumbs up! I recommend it 100%.

I used about 1.5 cups of hot water, threw in my bag, and enjoyed my normal cup of coffee.

Possible cons: size...the slim Via packages are easy to pack and they could be messy if they get moist.
    • k cup camping

WiseOldOwl wrote:

K Cup idea, not going to happen. The K-Cups rely on back pressure and infusion within the cup to properly brew, you're not going to be able to come up with a simple solution on the trail that results in a decent cup of coffee. Plus the K-Cups just introduce more trash and cost more than is necessary. They are marked up in price too. I can't find the tutorial you mentioned 1asurus I have been to Mars to see the machines that make the k-cups, in operation.

Pack a small screen or sieve to pour your coffee through into your mug after it has brewed in your pot, easy. Or go low key and just do a simple cowboy coffee, stir the top of your mug with a stick to settle the grounds to the bottom, sip slowly. Trader Joes now has a Via knockoff with cream and sugar that is excellent.

[IMG:http://stellasingleton.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/coffeelr-550x365.jpg]

The easiest ways to make coffee are usually the lightest and make a strong cup.

I love the Trader Joes coffee...although I went not too long ago to re stock on it and they told me they aren't carrying it anymore..
      RIAP