Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

wawayanda shelter to 17a

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• wawayanda shelter to 17a

with the forecast calling for rain , and a 5 mile walk from 94 into the shelter, coach lou and i agreed to meet around 10am-10:30. i knew it was around a 2 hr drive, so taking into account traffic, left home around 7:30am, and of course ,didnt hit any traffic, and got to greenwood lake around 9:30, when i got a text from lou he was in greenwich, so i had about an hour wait.then i got a text from rasty regarding hm, logged on, and saw her diatribe about the unholy triumvirate.my only comment about this whole matter is that i love hikermom and wish her well.
      anyway coach lou showed up around 10:45 so we went and had breakfast, then because of the rain, decided we would park at wawayanda park hq instead, as its only a .2mi walk to the shelter, get there before the heavy rains were due, and hike to 17a the following day.
      this is where experience and superior navigating skills got a little funny. first we missed the turn into the park and drove about 5 miles too long, turned around, found the clearly marked sign and turned into the park. pepe was riding with us, and i blame the heavy scent of skunk as a distraction.
      we checked in with the park police, who asked us our agenda. we figured we'd hike in the .2, stay for the night, hike back to the car, dump the unnecessaries(sleeeping and cooking gear) back at the car, and slackpack to 17a.
      armed with maps, guidebbooks, and compasses we marched down the blue blaze, past a steel privy, till we hit the at intersection. the guidebook said the lean to was 275 ft. on a blue blaze off the trail, so we continued on the path, until after a 100 paces or so, realized it wasnt the right blue blaze., turned around, and returned to the intersection, we turned se on the trail, went about 100 yards and again realized we had to have gone too far.2 loud claps of thunder and we were suddenly caught in a downpour.soaked, we again turned around and passed the intersection, figuring there was only one option left. soon enough we found the blue blaze to the shelter. when we got to the shelter, i could see that steel privy on the blue blaze less than 50 yds away on a faintly marked blue blaze, now realizing we would have stayed dry if we had caught the right trail to begin with. when we got there, the shelter was occupied by 3 day hikers from pa, out to do the section we would do on sunday..
      pepe came out to entertain us, while i caught up on the ensuing drama taking place here.
      we ate some snacks, laughed that every time coach and i have hiked together it has rained.the heavy rains had stopped, the day hikers left and we snacked and snoozed for the rest of the afternoon.mad some dinner around 5. i tried one of those marie callender boil in a pouch meals, pasta alfredo, and was unimpressed. was a bit chalky.
      a little while later coach broke out the cheesecake, saying if we didnt eat it now, we'd both be asleep, as pepe was really starting to stink up the shelter.
      its all good

the rain had stopped overnight, and the next morning we woke to breezy overcast lo 40s. we both cooked oatmeal and coffee, packed up and headed back the .2 to the car to dump off our cooking gear, sleeping gear and extra food, got some water at the park hq, and headed back to the at intersection. we headed south down the trail past the shelter and before long came to a dirt road we did not anticipate. we once again and turned around, finally moving in the right direction.
      the stretch from wawayanda to 17a is very nice, mostly hemlock, red cedar pine and birch forest. although there is no major elevation gain, the first 6 of the 10 mile walk is pretty challenging, with some steep ups and downs, and a few tricky scrambles up and down some ledges, parts of the trail were a river from all the runoff due to the mild temps. this made the footing rather challenging, we finally made it past the ny/nj state line and prospect rock,with a clear view of the nyc skyline. the sun was trying to peek out behind the clouds, but we never got a clear dose of sunshine the whole day.after prospect rock, the trail merged onto a woods road and the following 4 miles were pretty benign, and we made up some time. we came off onto 17a around 4:15, got to where we had parked my car, drove back to the park hq to pick up lous car, and said our goodbyes.

so we ended up doing around 12 miles on a 10 mile hike.
      but its not about the kilometers, its about the smiles.
      i love hiking with lou.
      its all good

LoboSolo wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

tis always good to hike with the one you love, rain or shine, it's always sunny.
      Whoa......easy 'Socks.......... we are friends..................... :huh:
      Da Bears!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/WhereTheBearsAre

Nice talk.....from 2 guys I've drank with no less! Thank goodness i had to click on that to find out what the %*@&! you guyz were gettin' at! :sick:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

rocksNsocks wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

tis always good to hike with the one you love, rain or shine, it's always sunny.
      Whoa......easy 'Socks.......... we are friends..................... :huh:
      Da Bears!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/WhereTheBearsAre
      oooooh, that was a dirty trick...literally. gif.002
      Not for the faint of heart.

WTF! gif.002
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

I haven't got into this whole karma or poho count thing around here but whenever I think of it I try and give LW/LB a plus as I figure he's the most likely to have someone give him a minus.... :silly:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

I didn't realise Teacher gone.
      I have HM as friend on F Book and I think Teacher is Annie's friend as well.
      Don't chat with either much but get some feeds.
      Most F Book activity is with Army Ant.
      Usually have a multiperson chat going during Pats games.
      I hope my TV station covers the Bruins when the football is over.
      Otherwise will be doing reverse when our football starts.
      Army now has Fremantle supporter status.
      49.gif 49.gif 49.gif
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

49.gif 49.gif 49.gif

It is neat how your AT hike has made the world a little bit smaller place, with y'all sharing sports teams, etc

BTW, I appreciated yours Atkins motel picture. I did not have the camaraderie y'all had, and even though at first glance I thought it was deserted, I was grateful to be there after my first 20+ mile day.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

49.gif 49.gif 49.gif

It is neat how your AT hike has made the world a little bit smaller place, with y'all sharing sports teams, etc

BTW, I appreciated yours Atkins motel picture. I did not have the camaraderie y'all had, and even though at first glance I thought it was deserted, I was grateful to be there after my first 20+ mile day.

Atkins because of it's location (a bit isolated) and price (within everyones reach) was somewhere nearly all thuhikers stayed at.
      It became the "yardstick" that we all used when rating how bad accomodation was. It was about the bottom of everyone's scale.
      I did have one place I rated 2 stars lower. I was the only hiker I know of that stayed there (off trail a way) so don't feel need to warn anyone about it but it was in New Jersey.

OzJacko wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

49.gif 49.gif 49.gif

Atkins because of it's location (a bit isolated) and price (within everyones reach) was somewhere nearly all thuhikers stayed at.
      It became the "yardstick" that we all used when rating how bad accomodation was. It was about the bottom of everyone's scale.
      I did have one place I rated 2 stars lower. I was the only hiker I know of that stayed there (off trail a way) so don't feel need to warn anyone about it but it was in New Jersey.

Did it have a wet floor and obnoxious music? :evil: :whistle: :lol:

TrainWreck wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

49.gif 49.gif 49.gif

Did it have a wet floor and obnoxious music? :evil: :whistle: :lol:

No but it truly stank.
      I slept on top of the bed. I was not prepared to expose the sheets...