Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The serious ultra light beer thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The serious ultra light beer thread

so, imagine a group of hikers was planning to get together (sometime soon), and someone wanted to bring beer. what is the lightest 6 pack of beer? my guess is that the weight of the beer is fixed, but the weight of the aluminum can is variable. Related questions: is it appropriate to card hikers before offering an alcoholic beverage?, is it acceptable to only bring one beer per hiker?, and how long does it take to freeze beer at 22 degrees, when the beer starting temp is 50 degrees? Oh, and is it appropriate to make everyone keep their own empty, or should all the cans just go in the fire ring?
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • Re:The serious ultra light beer thread

Large cans like Fosters will be lighter % of aluminum per fluid ounce of beer. Beer weight could theoretically change based on the amount of CO2 which is lighter then water. NY requires ID for those that appear under 50 so card sarcasm.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

Large cans like Fosters will be lighter % of aluminum per fluid ounce of beer. Beer weight could theoretically change based on the amount of CO2 which is lighter then water. NY requires ID for those that appear under 50 so card sarcasm.

so, fosters cans, but that means i have to pour the beer into hiker cups. otherwise i will have just increased the portion size, not reduced the total weight.

This may not seem like a serious reply, but it is. I quit drinking when I was 19. However, I faced a similar dilemma. I started drinking when I was 10 and soon learned it was difficult to hide large volumes on alcohol. Plus there were too many bathroom runs. I eventually settled on drinking the highest proof alcohol I could stomach straight. This ended up being Seagram's 7. The same could be said about beer. Being a gram weenie, I would be more concerned about percentage of alcohol in the can, than the weight of the can.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

hikerboy wrote:

for max benefit/weight, id go with bacardi 151. excellent firestarter as well.

Agreed. I was going to go straight there, but the other site has me gun shy. It would have drew a warning because he was asking about beer. I compared carrying bear spray to wearing a seatbelt. I have worn a seatbelt for decades and never "used" it. That was the post that I keep whining about that led me to leave. Gator said it was off topic because he didn't like the way I defined "use".

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Agreed. I was going to go straight there, but the other site has me gun shy. It would have drew a warning because he was asking about beer. I compared carrying bear spray to wearing a seatbelt. I have worn a seatbelt for decades and never "used" it. That was the post that I keep whining about that led me to leave. Gator said it was off topic because he didn't like the way I defined "use".

Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

manmilk wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

must................obey....
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

manmilk wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

must................obey....

All of a sudden I am in a forgiving spirit again.

1azarus wrote:

so, imagine a group of hikers was planning to get together (sometime soon), and someone wanted to bring beer. what is the lightest 6 pack of beer? my guess is that the weight of the beer is fixed, but the weight of the aluminum can is variable. Related questions: is it appropriate to card hikers before offering an alcoholic beverage?, is it acceptable to only bring one beer per hiker?, and how long does it take to freeze beer at 22 degrees, when the beer starting temp is 50 degrees? Oh, and is it appropriate to make everyone keep their own empty, or should all the cans just go in the fire ring?

See my thread on Grasshopper Desert. WOO posted on a way to make beer in backcountry with a concentrate.

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Huh? :huh: methinks the reptile must have had a little something extra in his gatoraid that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_3y0
    • Re:Re: The serious ultra light beer thread

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

what is is?is is as elusive as now, experiencing life in the moment.
      is almost instantly dies as is becomes was ,as a new is is born.

hangin with pepe

I bet Hillary knows what is is!

i believe manmilk was involved

Likely once. She probably has had sex with a man as often as Michael Jackson did with a woman.

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hangin with pepe

Likely once. She probably has had sex with a man as often as Michael Jackson did with a woman.

You're all being put on moderated status for talking all political and such!

Hmmm. I think the mini keg must be the winner at around fifteen pounds for thirteen twelve ounce drinks... I admit I just love the taste of beer and think it would be fun to toast a group of cafe-ers. (Is there an equivelant term to wb-ers?). Not sure if I can get psyched up to carry the darn thing. When empty, who do you think I can talk into using it as a bear canister?

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hangin with pepe

I fully agree. You should be especially tough of the one that posted the Clinton video.

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hangin with pepe

I fully agree. You should be especially tough of the one that posted the Clinton video.

That one gets the firing squad at dawn

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hangin with pepe

I volunteer to be on the squad. Can I use a pea shooter.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hangin with pepe

rubber bands and spitballs are the weapons of choice
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: The serious ultra light beer thread

TrainWreck wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hangin with pepe

rubber bands and spitballs are the weapons of choice

Red Rider BB guns are up there also
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: The serious ultra light beer thread

excuse me for posting on topic... just got back from doing some serious research at the Stoney Creek Brewing Company. Great tour and great bear. i mean beer. so i didn't post the weather forecast for the harriman hike on the harriman hike thread and the world did not end. go figure.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: The serious ultra light beer thread

1azarus wrote:

excuse me for posting on topic... just got back from doing some serious research at the Stoney Creek Brewing Company. Great tour and great bear. i mean beer. so i didn't post the weather forecast for the harriman hike on the harriman hike thread and the world did not end. go figure.

Any results from this "research" to report?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I doubt any of the WB mods look like her. :sick:
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

1azarus wrote:

Serious answer. Beer is a lot like my cast iron skillet and my camp chair. It's one of the things I like when I'm car camping, but I don't bring them backpacking.

I rarely drink when I hike, but when I do it's a bit of good whisky, either straight, mixed with black coffee, or in the winter mixed with hot cherry jello (seriously)
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

You don't know what they dress up in when they're off duty!!

TrainWreck wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

HB is walking. So I'll be HB.
      hehehehe, you said duty, hehehehe.

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

This conversation is full of duty :lol:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Serious answer. Beer is a lot like my cast iron skillet and my camp chair. It's one of the things I like when I'm car camping, but I don't bring them backpacking.

I rarely drink when I hike, but when I do it's a bit of good whisky, either straight, mixed with black coffee, or in the winter mixed with hot cherry jello (seriously)

I once did an Eiger Sancion movie move & had my friend haul beer. I slipped it in his pack on a local hike of the M & M Trail. We stoped for a break at an open fire tower in the hot humid summer heat. He climbed up & was sitting on the edge leaning against a rail catching what little breeze there was. I yelled up & asked if he wanted a beer. He said I had to be "F"ing nuts to carry beer in this weather. I agreed pulled out the two beers I hid in his pack & climbed up to join him. He complained about them being warm but shut up when I told him I thought it would be pushing it to far if I had him carry ice too! :woohoo:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I had forgotten that so of our own were actually hiking this weekend. Any idea what section they are on? Currently 54* here in Southern Connecticut, I hope Lou didn't pack his -10f WM bag.