Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

clothes for the AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• clothes for the AT

Not sure if this post should be in general or clothes. Newer to site. I am starting the AT in April (3rd. week) at Springer Mt. Confused on what to bring as far as clothes go. What kind of temps should I expect to encounter? I know it can be rainy so have that covered. I know what to bring when I hike in California and what I bring in Minnesota and Isle Royal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    • Be prepared to sleep in temperatures from 20° to 50° and hike in temperatures from 20° to 80°.

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Gore-Tex over-mittens (non insulated)
      Light Rain Jacket
      Micro-Fleece 1/4 Zip Pullover
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Lightweight Long Underwear bottoms
      Down Jacket
      1 Pair Lightweight Wool Socks
      1 Pair Medium Weight Wool Socks
      Trail Running Shoes
      4 Plastic Bread Bags just in case of freezing rain or snow
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I use a balaclava and a thick knit hat. I avoid wool, but it is probably a good choice if it does not irritate your skin.

I prefer long sleeves. I roll my sleeves up if it is too warm. I wear one shirt and carry a spare. I carry something to block wind and rain. I like a zippered fleece jacket for warmth, and also carry a down/feather jacket I bought for $2 at a garage sale. Spending more money could easily get me more warmth per ounce.

I have hiked in subzero temperatures and been comfortable with three layers on my legs - lightweight thermal underwear, fishing pants, and nylon wind pants. I have worn more than that at night, but if I had to do it over, I would rather carry a warmer sleeping bag and pad instead of more clothing.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Rasty wrote:

Be prepared to sleep in temperatures from 20° to 50° and hike in temperatures from 20° to 80°.

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      what is the cooling bandana, and how does it work.?
    • You need an underlayer like that made by Underarmor or thermals, bottom and top. You need hiking pants, PJ pants. A short sleeved hiking shirt and a warm fleece shirt. Hiking socks and warm wool bedtime socks. Warm hat (or Balaclava). Down jacket plus rain jacket. Our high here Thursday is only 34. That's in GA at Amicalola Falls, at the base of Springer. It's cold.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Be prepared to sleep in temperatures from 20° to 50° and hike in temperatures from 20° to 80°.

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      New fangled fabric that cold when wet. Even when dry the band helps keep you cool by absorbing sweat.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      New fangled fabric that cold when wet. Even when dry the band helps keep you cool by absorbing sweat.
      That's why I ask, saw somethin at Wally World last summer that said cooling on it in the camping section, maybe a towel, it looked pretty substantial so I didn't bother to read the description of how it worked, but kinda figured it was somthin like that...thanks. I'll have to give it another looky.
    • socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      That's why I ask, saw somethin at Wally World last summer that said cooling on it in the camping section, maybe a towel, it looked pretty substantial so I didn't bother to read the description of how it worked, but kinda figured it was somthin like that...thanks. I'll have to give it another looky.
      I got one on sale at Dick's Sporting goods. It works as advertised.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      do you know what makes it work, is just a matter of the type weave?
    • socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      no idea
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • max.patch wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Our high here Thursday is only 34. That's in GA at Amicalola Falls, at the base of Springer. It's cold.
      walkin up those stairs at the park will warm ya right up.
      The worse stairs I've had so far are the 294 on the Foothills Trail...only part of the trail I recall being hard...I was sucking wind and the quads were burning, for some reason sections with stairs just seem harder to me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      Most have an absorbent jell material which saturates with water when soaked. As the H2O evaporates, a cooling effect is generated upon the skin. It works best in a dry hot climate. High humidity slows the evaporation process.

I've always liked this item over a bandana as it holds more water, however the bandana (currently referred to as a shemagh) is more versatile in a wider range of climatic conditions.

For those with a 'swamp cooler' in the house rather than AC, the principle is similar.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      Most have an absorbent jell material which saturates with water when soaked. As the H2O evaporates, a cooling effect is generated upon the skin. It works best in a dry hot climate. High humidity slows the evaporation process.
      I've always liked this item over a bandana as it holds more water, however the bandana (currently referred to as a shemagh) is more versatile in a wider range of climatic conditions.

For those with a 'swamp cooler' in the house rather than AC, the principle is similar.
      thanks. Anything beats the heat.
    • Rasty wrote:

My list
      Wool hat
      Cooling bandana
      Light wool liner gloves
      Light Rain Jacket
      Lightweight T-Shirt
      Marmot Scree Pants
      Thin Lightweight Shorts
      Down Jacket
      Trail Running Shoes
      The only thing added for my winter list

Wool balaclava
      Second heavy wool hat
      Second medium weight wool socks
      Fleece mittens
      Long underwear top
      Down Pants
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • twistwrist wrote:

You need an underlayer like that made by Underarmor or thermals, bottom and top. You need hiking pants, PJ pants. A short sleeved hiking shirt and a warm fleece shirt. Hiking socks and warm wool bedtime socks. Warm hat (or Balaclava). Down jacket plus rain jacket. Our high here Thursday is only 34. That's in GA at Amicalola Falls, at the base of Springer. It's cold.
      oh, and gloves. How could I forget gloves? Don't forget gloves. Seriously. Cold hands are miserable.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

It ain't no stairway to heaven if you are out of shape (assuming you survive the climb).
      At least if you had too, it looks likes there is room for you to stop and take a break with people still walking by you. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Energizer wrote:

Thanks everybody for your input. This really helps, except for the head shaving part...;-) You did not see that I am a women...
      You might not be into shaving it like us guys, but cutting it really short could be a good compromise. It will grow back, especially in 4-6 months.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • One of my aspirations for retirement was to grow a pony tail and be bald...almost made it to pony tail length last week but just couldn't take it any more and got a cut, was great having the kids tell me to get a hair cut, I felt like a rebel again...maybe I'll try the bald thing this summer.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.