Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

maine wind power committee update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• maine wind power committee update

just thought id post this email i received today from matc:

Dear Friends of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club,

Happy New Year and welcome to our 79th year maintaining Maine’s section of the Appalachian Trail.

While much remains the same on the A.T., changes are taking place. One impact to the trail is wind power and these projects are making headlines. Here is the latest news from Tony Barrett and Tom Lewis, co-chairs of MATC’s Wind Power Committee.

MATC’s Wind Power Committee
      Since our inception in 2008, MATC’s Wind Power Committee monitors and reacts to pending wind power projects along Maine’s section of the A.T. We have a very dynamic committee thanks to members Steve Clark, Laura Flight, Lester Kenway, Bill Millis and Milt Wright.

A Brief Background
      MATC’s approach is to review a wind power project, assess its impact to the A.T. and adopt a case-by-case response. In all instances, the Appalachian Trail remains our primary focus.

Simply put, MATC is pro-Appalachian Trail, not anti-wind power.

View of White Cap
      MATC's Legislation: An Act to Protect Maine's Scenic Character
      The recent flurry of wind power project permit applications demanded MATC take a pro-active approach. Last January, MATC introduced LD 1147 An Act to Protect Maine’s Scenic Character in response to deficiencies in the Maine Wind Energy Act given the scale of current projects.

This bill includes safeguards that eliminate the provision that scenic impacts beyond 8-miles are deemed insignificant; expands the distance where a visual impact assessment may be required to 15-miles; requires that cumulative effects be considered in permitting decisions given the pace of wind power development in the state; and requires development of rules governing decommissioning for all permitted projects. We encourage you to read LD 1147 online.

LD 1147 Public Hearing - January 13, 2014
      The bill was carried over to the upcoming legislative session and a public hearing is scheduled for next Monday, January 13, 2014. Please contact Tony Barrett or Tom Lewis by email if you would like to become involved or have questions.

Links to Information
      Please go to MATC’s Website, under “Issues & Education” click on the Wind Power button. You’ll find links to MATC’s Wind Power Policy, MATC’s 2013 Committee Report, and MATC’s bill, LD 1147: An Act to Protect Maine’s Scenic Character.

The committee will have an article in the upcoming edition of the MaineTainer and looks forward to providing timely updates.

Thank you,

Lester C. Kenway
      President
      its all good

They are eye sores. However, my main objection to them is that they are bad for the environment. That may seem like a silly thing to say. However, wait 30 years and see how we feel about these rotting hulks then. They are not built to be serviced. They are built to be sold and profited on all because they appear to be green.

Hydropower is the answer. 1/3 of all lakes in Maine are man made. Chesuncook Lake is a prime example of this. All agree this is a great habitant for wildlife. But if you do it in the name of power, it is evil. The water is always moving. The sun is not always shining and the wind is not always blowing. Green power that requires batteries is not green.

Just my ignorant ranting opinion.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

They are eye sores. However, my main objection to them is that they are bad for the environment. That may seem like a silly thing to say. However, wait 30 years and see how we feel about these rotting hulks then. They are not built to be serviced. They are built to be sold and profited on all because they appear to be green.

Hydropower is the answer. 1/3 of all lakes in Maine are man made. Chesuncook Lake is a prime example of this. All agree this is a great habitant for wildlife. But if you do it in the name of power, it is evil. The water is always moving. The sun is not always shining and the wind is not always blowing. Green power that requires batteries is not green.

Does not sound ignorant to me. Sounds more like you took time to think it through! Sure do wish others would!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

BirdBrain wrote:

What happens if it don't rain ever again?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

What happens if it don't rain ever again?

Well there goes my idea. 2.gif

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Does not sound ignorant to me. Sounds more like you took time to think it through! Sure do wish others would!

I just wish sound bites did not rule the environmental debate. We have only one planet. We need to take care of it. Junk science rules

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I am thankful for the efforts of the MATC.
      aside from the marquis d'sade routing the a.t.through western maine, the matc is incredible.

I don't grasp that reference. Are you saying the route is perverted? I love the route in western Maine.
      not perverted,sadistic.
      i love it too
      its all good