Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sorel boots on sale

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

EMS has Sorel Boots on sale. I just ordered a pair of the Caribou boots and saved some money.
      If you've wanted some good quality winter boots, this might your opportunity.
      ems.com/sorel/?ab=cms:email:02…&utm_source=Email02072016

You may need to order them quick. I ordered some trail runners that were 50% off from EMS this week, and then a couple of days later they emailed that my order was canceled due to their inventory issues. X(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

EMS has Sorel Boots on sale. I just ordered a pair of the Caribou boots and saved some money.
      If you've wanted some good quality winter boots, this might your opportunity.
      ems.com/sorel/?ab=cms:email:02…&utm_source=Email02072016
      You may need to order them quick. I ordered some trail runners that were 50% off from EMS this week, and then a couple of days later they emailed that my order was canceled due to their inventory issues. X(
      I ordered right before making the thread here.

TJ, the boots I ordered are very warm, they have a removable felt liner that works well on keeping in the heat.

TrafficJam wrote:

Those look nice. I need some wet weather boots but the Sorels are probably too warm for me.
    • Sorel Caribou are great for deep winter. In a pair that I had years and years ago, I managed to have my feet stay comfortable at -45°F in New Hampshire. They'd be a bit much for the South, I suspect. When I got back into hiking, I got another pair. They're just as warm as I remember.

They don't work too badly with strap-on crampons. I wouldn't trust them for climbing but they're fine for general mountaineering. The felt pacs can be field dried, which is essential in a winter boot.

To get better than these for winter, you'd really have to be looking at hard-shell mountaineering boots. Which are pricey, and you need to learn to walk all over again in them.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I wear a pair of Sorel "Conquest" for all my winter trekking. They're about eight years old now. They're stiff enough to wear with traction devices -- microspikes or Hillsound trail crampons.

I've never had cold feet wearing them, though (lately) sometimes damp feet. Last trek I used a pair of flimsy plastic supermarket bags as liners, that worked pretty well.
    • We're driffting a bit from the thread here, but ...

I learnt my favorite layering system for winter boots a long, long time ago. Start with liner socks (I use thin nylon or polyester dress socks), then doubled bread or newspaper bags (single bags tear, doubled ones tear much less often), then wool hiking socks, and then the pac boots. The liner socks always come out wet , but they're lightweight enough that I can carry a couple of extra pair and change into dry ones daily. The insulation layers stay dry.

Your feet will be clammy all day long, so you want to try hard to avoid trench foot. It's best to wax your feet the same way you would for a summer trip that would involve a lot of wading. I used Gurney Goo for the purpose on my hike of the Northville-Placid Trail and it worked well. 1azarus recommended Hydropel to me, but they went out of business a while back. Body Glide doesn't seem to be quite dry enough.

You do NOT want breathable material for this - it will defeat the purpose by letting water into your insulation. I've heard from others that RAB vapor barrier socks work well, but I've never tried them. The newspaper delivery guy keeps bringing me suitable bags. The Rocky Gore-Tex socks that 1azarus swears by do NOT work for this purpose.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I haven't noticed any negative Farenheiht temperatures in central Alabama. We have has +17F to +21F lows the past few days.
      We have a forecast low of about -10°F down here in the valley the next couple of nights. I don't even want to think about what it'll be like up in the peaks. Up there they're forecasting close to -30 with wind chills down to and past -60. Glad I didn't have a climb planned.
    • My boots arrived yesterday from EMS with no problems. Now if we'd only get some real snow :)

On another note. I inspected my old Sorel boots that were leaking and getting my feet wet.
      I found a few, small, places were the upper was starting to come apart from the sole.
      I'm thinking of trying to seal those spots up, any suggestions on what to use?

Ugh, Sorel has the Caribou boots on sale even cheaper than EMS does!
      If you've been wanting a pair, now's the time to order, I don't think you'll find them cheaper than this $90
      sorel.com/sale-mens-boots-slippers-shoes/