Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Anti-fogging paste for glasses

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anti-fogging paste for glasses

Many wear glasses, and in the winter this can be a real pain with exerting and sweating in the winter. A product I like to use is "Cat Crap" available at most major outfitters (often at the counter as an impulse buy...in a little red round pill box) ask for it by name, "Cat Crap" It has the consistency of soft chap stick, you smear a light coating on your glasses, goggles or what have you (I like clear safety glasses at night to keep blowing snow outta the eyes when blowing blizzard wild, thanks for that tip Kayak Karl) and buff or wipe off with lense ragg. This stuff really works works great to keep fogging at bay, and acts as a lense cleaner as well. Don't recall what I paid for it, few bucks, but at the rate I use it (a few times a season) it's damn near a decades supply. :thumbup:
    • Drybones wrote:

I was wearing glasses on my first AT hike, a friend had some Cat Crap he let me use, does work well, but I made my mind up to have eye surgery and get rid of the glasses as soon as I got home.
      funny how all my glass wearing friends laugh at me dealing with glasses as an adult, and remind me when we were kids how I didn't have them and they did, o'coarse they all have had laysic surgery now and remind me of it often saying "hey, one day you'll be a candidate too" smart asses. :D
    • Spit and rub to "Squeak" works also. I've not tried that product. I had thought to have lasic before I retire and do more long distance hiking. My eye doctor smiled, recommended which place to use. Then smiled again and reminded me..."You are in Tri-Focals for a reason......they CAN fix your long distance, and I understand when you are no longer staring at a computer for 9 hours a day.....but you will still need reading glasses......" My thoughts were "well, that would be fine! I can be hiking, driving and such, and just wear them to read".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Spit and rub to "Squeak" works also. I've not tried that product. I had thought to have lasic before I retire and do more long distance hiking. My eye doctor smiled, recommended which place to use. Then smiled again and reminded me..."You are in Tri-Focals for a reason......they CAN fix your long distance, and I understand when you are no longer staring at a computer for 9 hours a day.....but you will still need reading glasses......" My thoughts were "well, that would be fine! I can be hiking, driving and such, and just wear them to read".

In the end that's what stopped me from getting the surgery. 20 years ago I wanted it but couldn't afford it and just used contacts sometimes. 10 years ago I got sick of messing with contacts (I started to use bifocals) and inquired about the surgery again. Told I would need reading glasses. Worn glasses every waking hour since I was 11. Just didn't seem worth the hassle anymore to change.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Worn glasses since I was in 8th grade. Tried contacts for a while but just didn't like the upkeep. I'm going to try the Cat Crap. I always have problems with fogging and end up hiking blind with my glasses in my pocket. I can kinda see, shapes, large rocks, trees, rocks that look like bears, the trail. Many times I've started to pass up the campsite just to have friends yell at me for missing the sign.