Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Understanding Contusions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Understanding Contusions

Although I didn't do this on the trail my Hiking boot foot box flopped out and tripped me into falling 8 weeks ago. I broke my fall with arms outstretched and injured my left hand something aweful. 12 hours later it swelled up like a balloon. I got an xray of the hand and nothing is broken. I thought it would have healed by now. But have been told by other seniors that 8 weeks is the short version. Much of the swelling was down in six weeks and still the ability to move the fingers is very limited. Apparently a fracture heals faster. If this happens to you be aware sometimes the skin can discolor and be black, blue, & yellow. I did something similar years ago with an ankle, I got to a stream and soaked it in the cold water for an hour and managed to get the boot back on, then hiked out.

Here is what it looked like, (Not my Hand)
      [IMG:http://www.onepath.com/wp-content/themes/OnePath/images/hand-swelling.jpg]

Treatment consists of rest and immediate application of cold therapy to help control the bleeding and swelling. Cold can be applied for 10 minutes every hour reducing frequency as symptoms improve. A compression bandage can be applied to help control swelling and the hand should be raised to aid the flow of tissue fluids away from the injury. Symptoms should improve within 2 or 3 days, however if they persist then seek medical attention to ensure there are not further injuries. An X-ray may be required to check there are no fractures.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Yeah, I've had some contusions back in Scouting and Navy days. When walking back to my storage shed in the yard, slopes downward, I lost my footing. Fell, dropped and rolled. Skinned my left elbow. Healed fairly quickly. My sister freaked out, then realized I had rolled as I hit.

Not something I would suggest unless you learn how to drop and roll.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Yeah, I've had some contusions back in Scouting and Navy days. When walking back to my storage shed in the yard, slopes downward, I lost my footing. Fell, dropped and rolled. Skinned my left elbow. Healed fairly quickly. My sister freaked out, then realized I had rolled as I hit.

Not something I would suggest unless you learn how to drop and roll.
      Otherwise known in some circles as a PLF.. .

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

They suck - 8 weeks and still cannot make a fist or straighten the fingers. Driving is the worst. Lifting a beer became right handed.
      Give it time. It sounds like you severely damaged the ligaments and muscles.It took a year before I could rotate my ankle without pain after a severe sprain.
      did you utilize cold and heat therapy?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

They suck - 8 weeks and still cannot make a fist or straighten the fingers. Driving is the worst. Lifting a beer became right handed.
      Give it time. It sounds like you severely damaged the ligaments and muscles.It took a year before I could rotate my ankle without pain after a severe sprain.
      did you utilize cold and heat therapy?
      still doing it... not much help. Much like a dog chasing its tail.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: