Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Why Most Thru-hikes Fail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why Most Thru-hikes Fail

Myth vs. reality of Thru-Hiking, why so many hikers fail

So you’re thinking about Thru-Hiking the AT. You have been dreaming about it for years & the time is right. You’ve read trail journals, watched YouTube videos, & bought the best gear out there. So why do only about 20% of those who attempt it finish? I have read shelter logs where people have quit on the approach trail, said it wasn’t what they expected. One couple on Facebook had been posting their plan & gear acquisitions for almost a year. They quit 20 miles into the trail. They say 10% quit at Neels Gap 30 miles into the trail.

So why do most people fail?

Unprepared: It’s easy to sit in the comfort of your home & have grand visions of your hike. The epic shots at McAfee Knob, Franconia ridge, ultimately atop Katahdin. Days of hiking in the peaceful splendor of nature. Basking in the solitude that the wilderness provides.

The reality can be far different. Waking up day after day & having to put on cold wet clothes & shoes. Throwing on a pack & hiking with sore muscles. Walking day after day in the rain with no views. Constantly being hungry & dirty. Smelling worse than a homeless person. Trying to sleep in a shelter with someone snoring besides you while mice run around & on top of you.

Some people whom attempt the trail have never backpacked before. Others have hiked only when the weather was nice.

So how do you prepare? Walk as much as you can. Preferably with a pack, even if it’s a daypack with some weight in it. Walk to the store, to lunch, to work. Just get out & walk. Go backpacking. Plan short pratice hikes. Try the gear you plan to use & see if it will work for you for the next 5-6 months night after night. Cook food on the equipment you plan to use. Your first day on your thru is not the time to learn how to set up your tent or use your stove! Mostly go out in any weather. Don’t cancel a trip because it is raining or snowing. You will have to deal with it on your thru. You might as well get used to it. It also helps you test your gear in those conditions.

Injury: These fall into two categories; accidental & preventable. Not much you can do about an accident so I won’t go into that here. It’s the preventable ones that can be helped. Preventable ones are often little ones that go untreated that get worse until a hiker has to get off the trail. Many are caused by going to far to fast. Most hikers will tell you the best way to get in shape for thru-hiking is to hike. Most people can’t just start out hiking 15-20 miles a day. So don’t! Let your body work its way into it. Take it easy the first few weeks. Watch for blisters & take care of them before they get to bad or infected. If you start getting shin splints take it easy or take a day off. You will be amazed at how fast you will get your “Trail Legs”

Lack of money: Say you already have all the gear you need. You’re living in the woods. How much money do you need? Probably more than you think. In addition to the food you need on the trail eating in town is inevitable & costly. After a few weeks you will be hungry! The average hike burns up to 6,000 calories a day. About the same as someone running a marathon. It’s hard to carry that much food on the trail, so most hikers make up for it in town. It’s hard to resist that a cheeseburger & a few beers. Soon a large pizza becomes a nice single serving. Your favorite restaurant is an AYCE. To describe how much your appetite is hard. It will vary from person to person. I know at one layover I ate five separate meals, plus snacks. One hiker made a comment while taking a candid group shot at a break that it seemed like everyone was always eating something.

Even if you don’t plan on staying in town, you often will. Start to early & many hikers find themselves staying an extra day to wait out bad weather. Even on a normal resupply it’s hard to get everything done in one day by the time you shop, do laundry, eat, etc. Then most hikers end up traveling with others. It can be hard to leave your “Trail Family” & many hikers succumb to peer pressure. Hotels & hostels costs add up over 5-6 months.

Then comes incidental expenses. Replacing worn out gear, batteries & shoes. Unexpected medical expenses if you get injured. What if you get Lyme’s Disease , Giardia, or Norovirus while hiking. Medication & extended layover may be required.

Plan your budget as best you can, then have a contigency fund.

Boredom: This is often overlooked when planning a hike. Many refer to it as the Virginia Blues. After months & hundreds of miles it can become monotonous. By the time you hit the mid atlantic states hiking has become routine. You are hiking in the “Green Tunnel”. One becomes jaded to the now fewer, but routine views of the farmlands below the trail. Each day becomes a repeat of the previous one. Many become homesick. It’s no longer a physical challenge & some just say enough is enough.

If it happens to you I suggest taking a few days off close to the trail. Don’t quit on a bad day! Go visit some tourist attractions. If after a few days you don’t miss the trail, then go home.
    • I endorse all of that.
      On the money side I believe that it accounts for far more hikes ending than "official" reasons suggest. Many hide the reason out of embarrassment or similar reason and quote injury or lack of desire etc. Many hikers (not just the younger ones) get caught up in the party in town atmosphere in the south only to find themselves having spent over half their budget by Trail Days end.
      And another issue is the realisation that there are people that mean a lot to you who are suffering because you're out there not home with them. Be sure your loved ones really are comfortable with what you are doing.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

The post was edited 1 time, last by OzJacko ().

• All the above is accurate.

I'll add try to make a 'zero' day a single day off the trail vs. a day and a half.

Hike to just outside the planned layover location and camp for the night. The next AM, hike into town, accomplish laundry, resupply, other necessaries, and if desired check into the facility if planning to spend the night. Otherwise hike out and camp outside of town allowing an early departure unencumbered with chores.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

All the above is accurate.

I'll add try to make a 'zero' day a single day off the trail vs. a day and a half.

Hike to just outside the planned layover location and camp for the night. The next AM, hike into town, accomplish laundry, resupply, other necessaries, and if desired check into the facility if planning to spend the night. Otherwise hike out and camp outside of town allowing an early departure unencumbered with chores.
      Yes "Neros' go a long way to extending one's budget. One triple crowner kept close tabs on his expenses on a hike. Half of his total expenses were what he spent on town food & lodging.
    • I agree.

I've encountered a number of Scouts who tried too much their first camping trip. Walked fast every where, noticed but did nothing about their feet. Blisters galore.

I have been camping before, and I've been away from home before. I've been, literally, in the middle of nowhere before. I've walked out in the woods in rain and snow. Wasn't backpacking though. I've been soaking wet and very cold, 100F heat is no fun either. Bith dry heat and soggy heat. I prefer 100F at 20% humidity.

I have looked at around 30 AT videos. So I know some things. Only a few showed rough spots. I think there should be more of those, and fewer of the 'everything is wonderful out here' videos. And too many show the video maker's face. Show me the trail dadgumit !

The monotony might do me in... I do get bored easily. I have been thinking about taking one of my small ereaders with me. It has over 200 books on it. While it weighs a pound, I could take an InstaBoost with me. I could use that to charge the ereader and my phone. But the ereader is supposed to be good for several months of reading. I'll have to look through my boxes for it though. I have a small mp3 player, also picks up FM radio stations, weighs about 3 ounces. But the battery doesn't last but about 8 hours.

I need to walk more and more. I've already talked about hiking in the backyard to my relatives. They think its a good idea.

I'm not young anymore. But, I think I can make it. As for money, I get a check every month. So if my money lasts to the next check, I'll be okay in that department.

Exercise is going to be the big thing for me.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Don't put too great an expectation on yourself is a great way to start. Ease into it.
      Caution re batteries etc. The cold in Georgia and North Carolina gets to batteries. I thought I would protect mine by putting my e reader in my sleeping bag. Of course I slept on it and broke the screen.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • It was never the money that ended my hikes, Jacko. Just sayin'. And so far, knock wood, it hasn't been injury. Or "family emergency."

No, it's been almost everything else. Mostly in my head. But sometimes it's just the realization or the perception that I'm stuck in a dreamworld and maybe there's better things to do.

It's a Friday night, you're alone in the woods again and you think about all the other things you could be doing. All the things that "normal" people do. Enough nights like that and it starts to wear thin.

You have to have a good reason to keep on going. You have to find a way to enjoy the whole experience, come what may.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I found most nights I didn't want those other things.
      But I will admit that I like to hike alone but camp with company. Camping alone I like but not for too long.
      Sounds like me. I like to hike alone because I can be quite and see more wildlife. I find hiking with someone you are talking and the wildlife hear you coming and run off before you see them.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I too prefer to camp with company & hike alone. It relieve the boredom of being alone.

Rafe, how far iinto your thru was it before you called it quits. I believe you were like many hikers. No longer a challange. Day after day the same thing. It becomes a job. one starts thinking of what they could be doing instead. Being back home with friends & family. Delicious food that is readily available. Being clean!
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Myth vs. reality of Thru-Hiking, why so many hikers fail
      Discouragement from weather was my biggest hardship that nearly pushed me off trail (literally, at times) on 2 different occasions. And just the monetary of hiking more similar ups and downs after 6 months, trying to make miles and beat the cold (and the early darkness each day). I still loved being in the woods and outside all day everyday, but it got less enjoyable as it began feeling more rushed...and cold. Sleet + 60mph winds + rain for 16 miles, a hurricane flooded trail 3 inches deep for 18 miles, a Grayson Highlands day so cold, wet, and shiddy all (I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE) of the ponies stayed hunkered down. Didn't see a one. The weather almost caused me to fail.

JimBlue wrote:

I agree.

I have looked at around 30 AT videos. So I know some things. Only a few showed rough spots. I think there should be more of those, and fewer of the 'everything is wonderful out here' videos. And too many show the video maker's face. Show me the trail dadgumit !

Mine show the trail! :D youtube.com/allyhester99
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

If a person finds what they're looking for (that one thing that motivated them to get on the trail) then doesn't complete their thru hike, did they fail?
      Only the hiker can determine if their hike is a failure or a success.
      No hike ends in failure.
      It ends.
      In a way those complete the hike are the incomplete ones. Those that don't finish had their fill or for things like injury induced premature endings still have their goal.
      Those that finish must find something new.
      Many repeat the hike because of the relative ease of it or a misunderstanding of the experience being THE trail not A trail.
      That's my view anyways.
      ;)
    • Da Wolf wrote:

you tell folks you're gonna hike the whole AT and you quit before finishing, you failed
      So, don't tell them you're going to hike the whole trail.. Just say am hiking as far as possible.

Frankly as previous folks have written, the one whom steps foot upon the Trail, or any trail for that matter is 'miles ahead' of anyone who's never attempted the feat or risked failure.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Da Wolf wrote:

you tell folks you're gonna hike the whole AT and you quit before finishing, you failed
      But they learn something about themselves, and so do the people they told they were hiking the whole thing. They may fail the hike but they succeed in self development.
    • chief wrote:

Yep, I agree with Wolf. In 2000 I FAILED to thru-hike the AT.
      But you did step foot on the Trail.

I personally know just one individual (other then myself) who has stepped foot on the Trail. He finished a SB just months after a near fatal wound. Even today he says the thru was his way of realizing a full recovery. However he admits at the halfway point he had nothing further to prove to himself but completed as his schedule allowed.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

I'm sooo glad I got to say this first. There is absolutely no way to "Fail" a Thru. Even if you stop on the approach trail at least you are waaaay ahead if 99% of the human population
      What an utter load of bovine scat! Might as well just hand out participation trophies.
      You're confusing hiking with a team sport. It's an individual endeavor and the perception of failure or success resides solely with the hiker.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Before southern Maine isn't the worst place to quit. Some might argue that point. But trust me, all that beauty comes at a very exhausting, difficult cost. Southern maine was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
      I appreciate post like that. It reminds me to make the most out of the next 18 months as I get ready for that in 2017. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Anybody who gets out to the woods to walk some is better for doing it!

But if you say are going to do a thru hike, and then quit, then that is not a "successful" thru hike.

But you still mostly likely will be a better person for trying.

And you do not have to succeed at everything you try in order to have a good and beneficial life.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

I'm sooo glad I got to say this first. There is absolutely no way to "Fail" a Thru. Even if you stop on the approach trail at least you are waaaay ahead if 99% of the human population
      What an utter load of bovine scat! Might as well just hand out participation trophies.
      You're confusing hiking with a team sport. It's an individual endeavor and the perception of failure or success resides solely with the hiker.
      If their goal was to Thru-hike the AT, they failed. What they learned & took away from that hike is a completely different subject. I failed when I attempted to thru-hike the PCT. It just became a really long Lash & something to finish. I failed to thru, doesn't mean I consider the hike a failure.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

With all due respect I have confused nothing.

I believe In the noble defeat, but failing to fulfill a personal endeavor that you have set out to accomplish is still a failure. And failing an endeavor, before you have truly even started is not enobling nor as suggested does it some how put you ahead of anyone else.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Astro wrote:

Anybody who gets out to the woods to walk some is better for doing it!

But if you say are going to do a thru hike, and then quit, then that is not a "successful" thru hike.

But you still mostly likely will be a better person for trying.

And you do not have to succeed at everything you try in order to have a good and beneficial life.
      I've heard this saying from several folks in past months.

'If one is successful at all one attempts, then not much is attempted".

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

I believe In the noble defeat, but failing to fulfill a personal endeavor that you have set out to accomplish is still a failure. And failing an endeavor, before you have truly even started is not enobling nor as suggested does it some how put you ahead of anyone else.
      We're debating semantics.

In my world, the verb "fail" goes hand in hand with the noun "failure". To fail is to be a failure. I choose to not believe that someone is a failure because they didn't accomplish something, so I take a more positive view of not completing a task or goal by not using that word. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

We're debating semantics.
      In my world, the verb "fail" goes hand in hand with the noun "failure". To fail is to be a failure. I choose to not believe that someone is a failure because they didn't accomplish something, so I take a more positive view of not completing a task or goal by not using that word. :)

Exactly TJ. I have failed to die during several hurricanes. I have failed to freeze to death on a motorcycle in below freezing weather. But I'm not a failure.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I too prefer to camp with company & hike alone. It relieve the boredom of being alone.

Rafe, how far iinto your thru was it before you called it quits. I believe you were like many hikers. No longer a challange. Day after day the same thing. It becomes a job. one starts thinking of what they could be doing instead. Being back home with friends & family. Delicious food that is readily available. Being clean!
      Same here.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

You start out to do something and don't do it, you fail....nothing wrong with failing, hell, I've devoted a life time to it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.