Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Starting to Plan

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Starting to Plan

Hi,

My wife and I are starting to think about taking a break from the working world via the APT, if it happens, it would likely be Spring of 2017. We are currently located in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and would love to get together with someone who has completed the trail. Any folks out there who are in the area and would be interested? (Obviously) We'll buy you a beer or meal or something. Feel free to shoot me a message if so.

Thanks!
    • if you have ever hiked a week then you'd be surprised how little "planning" is needed to string together 20-24 of those weekly hikes. if you are happy with your gear, its not too much of an exaggeration to say you can buy your maps, buy your companion, figure out how to get to georgia, figure out your first resupply (hint - neels gap) and figure out the rest as you go along. seriously.

if both you and your wife are going, then the most important planning is what happens on the home front. what to do about the house/apartment. utilities. car. insurance on car. insurance on you. mail. paying bills. the monthly bills are one thing; don't forget about the annual ones. pets. etc etc etc. i didn't have to worry about this so i have no great insights to offer.
      2,000 miler
    • Great, thanks guys. I am very sure that we will begin to accumulate a lot of questions as we think more about this. We actually haven't done any backpacking yet (one of the main reasons our anticipated date is 2017), just a lot of hiking. We're pretty close to having bought all (er... the first round) of our gear, so I'm hoping this spring and summer will be dense with experience/training.
    • Walking and wearing your backpack while walking. You have to build up your stamina.

I was thinking of hiking part of the BMT next year... then I picked up a 33 pound pack, no tent or sleeping bag, and while I didn't feel I was going to pass out... I did have a bit of a hard time doing it.

So I might just 'settle' for doing part of the Pinhoti instead.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • levitd wrote:

Hi,

My wife and I are starting to think about .................
      I've been hiking and backpacking with my wife for quite a few years now. When you tie yourself to another person there's a lot of things that have to be a compromise. You'd be surprised at the little things that can turn into a big thing when 2 people have to make it work. Everything from the smell of bug repellant to the size and construction of our tent has been an issue at one time or another. Good communications and a willingness to be flexible are some of the tools you'll need to have a fun trip. Any questions, feel free to ask.