Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Inchworm's remains found in Maine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RS, I am just glad her family can find some closure. I am sure that this has been gnawing on the Maine Warden Service, so I am glad they can close the search phase of this case. If this was caused by foul play remains to be seen. I hope that all the investigators look at that possibility carefully, although cause of death may be difficult to determine at this point.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

RS, I am just glad her family can find some closure. I am sure that this has been gnawing on the Maine Warden Service, so I am glad they can close the search phase of this case. If this was caused by foul play remains to be seen. I hope that all the investigators look at that possibility carefully, although cause of death may be difficult to determine at this point.
      I agree, and won't speculate as to cause, in the end it'll all come out, one way...or another.
    • remains discovered by a surveyor who has working as part of an environmental impact study.

do not believe foul play was involved.

found and recovered a lot of her gear which they will also study for clues.

does not believe foul play involved but can not rule it out until medical examiner report is completed. feel confident that speculation of criminal involvement (foul play) will stop once the medical examiner report is completed.

believe she just got off the trail and this location is where she ended up.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• LIhikers wrote:

Dmax wrote:

How far was she from the trail?
      I believe they said 100 yards from the trail, but I wasn't watching that close.
      makes me wonder. With all those previous searches and she was only 100 yds from the AT. Of course, 100 yds in a 100 yd dash is likely a hell of a lot different than 100 yds in the backcountry of Maine.

I'm just glad that her family now has closure and all the crazy things previously said are now repudiated.
    • the volume on the press conference was very very low and i really had to strain to hear it; but i believe they said she was found 3,000 feet from the trail. the search teams had gotten to within 100 yards of her body (although obviously they did not know it at the time).

(i didn't post this above as i was listening as i was not positive i heard this correctly.)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

remains discovered by a surveyor who has working as part of an environmental impact study.

do not believe foul play was involved.

found and recovered a lot of her gear which they will also study for clues.

does not believe foul play involved but can not rule it out until medical examiner report is completed. feel confident that speculation of criminal involvement (foul play) will stop once the medical examiner report is completed.

believe she just got off the trail and this location is where she ended up.
      Hunters and surveyors always find this kind of thing. I found some of the remains of what may have been one of this guy's victims....

murderpedia.org/male.R/r/rivera-reinaldo.htm
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • If you want to see an example of the difference in the attitude between this site and TOS, read their (currently 8 page) thread about the discovery of the remains. I've already put their thread on ignore.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • It was always likely that she had died. To my mind preferable that it was some accident than some sicko. Highlights the importance of staying on your intended path if hiking alone. I am glad that I can't see the thread on TOS.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Tuckahoe "The lala land dwelling internet detectives are absolutely disgusting."

Yes, I am guilty of that, and it is somewhat disgusting. But I think it mostly comes from the strong empathy the hiking community feels for a fellow hiker in this situation and the strong desire to understand what happened. Sort of a 'there but for the grace of God go I' moment.

Hope you can understand where I am coming from, but I will try to keep the conjecture in check. Just waiting for the medical examiners findings at this point.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • rafe wrote:

Between Inchworm and the female hiker found off the trail in NH, I had my wife saying to me: "You're not hiking alone." I think she'll get over it. But for winter hiking (like, say, from now 'till next May) I'll be hiking with a partner.
      If I did not hike alone, I'm not sure I'd do much hiking at all. Not willing to give that up. Life is full of calculated risks. I would still contend that the most dangerous part of a hike is the drive to the trailhead.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

rafe wrote:

Between Inchworm and the female hiker found off the trail in NH, I had my wife saying to me: "You're not hiking alone." I think she'll get over it. But for winter hiking (like, say, from now 'till next May) I'll be hiking with a partner.
      If I did not hike alone, I'm not sure I'd do much hiking at all. Not willing to give that up. Life is full of calculated risks. I would still contend that the most dangerous part of a hike is the drive to the trailhead.
      As it stands, I'm fine hiking alone in spring/summer/fall, but in winter I find me a partner. Actually I did a lot of hiking with Slo this summer, and it was pleasant -- an interesting change from hiking alone.
    • Rafe, if you guys do a weekend hike next year and would like the company, let me know. I like to hike alone, but would be glad to meet you both at a destination.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • When I do day or overnight hikes I may hike "with" someone. But apart from my wife longer hikes are usually 100's of metres apart from others. Being alone is always easy. It's the stops where I want, and get, company.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Tuckahoe "The lala land dwelling internet detectives are absolutely disgusting."

Yes, I am guilty of that, and it is somewhat disgusting. But I think it mostly comes from the strong empathy the hiking community feels for a fellow hiker in this situation and the strong desire to understand what happened. Sort of a 'there but for the grace of God go I' moment.

Hope you can understand where I am coming from, but I will try to keep the conjecture in check. Just waiting for the medical examiners findings at this point.
      Hey, there's the Detectives, and then there's grammar police, surveyors and mathematicians local #8, geographers and topographers, wanna be detectives, SAR experts, portfolio investment bankers, ect. ect, and then there's folks that are trying to keep things straight there, I think you fall into the later...no worries.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Socks: surveyors and mathematicians local #8, geographers and topographers, portfolio investment bankers ().

• socks wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Tuckahoe "The lala land dwelling internet detectives are absolutely disgusting."

Hey, there's the Detectives, and then there's grammar police, wanna be detectives, SAR experts, ect. ect, and then there's folks that are trying to keep things straight there, I think you fall into the later...no worries.
      What Socks said.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

If you want to see an example of the difference in the attitude between this site and TOS, read their (currently 8 page) thread about the discovery of the remains. I've already put their thread on ignore.
      This was my contribution on TOS

My first thought was that is good thing for the family, despite the bad new that it brings.

My second thought was that finally this will end the endless speculation regarding this incident.

I guess I was wrong on at least one count.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• I really find it hard to believe that all the searchers and canine teams didn't find any trace of her in two years. The number of AT hikers alone who spent time analyzing maps and her last known location, and many of them taking time and effort to look for her, leaves me to believe she wasn't in the final location when that area was searched and re-searched. I don't understand what could have happened or how, but I don't believe she got lost or disoriented. The only thing that would convince me foul play of some sort was not involved, is if an autopsy shows evidence of a heart attack, stroke, or other medical situation. I'd almost be willing to be the results will be held on to and never shared, or will come back as inconclusive.
    • going from memory of yesterdays news conference, they searched some 23 linear miles. (i believe i later heard 30 miles but the volume was so low i could not be certain what they were referring to.) when asked, the spokesman could not provide "square miles" as he does not work that way. they were somewhat limited by having a finite number of trained searchers in the physical condition required to search in that very rugged area.

the AT whiteblaze cyber hikers who anyalyzed maps and then posted their "findings" so everyone could see how smart they were contributed nothing to the search so i don't know why that is even mentioned.

your comment that the results may be held and never shared smacks of some type of conspiracy theory that quite frankly is an insult to the volunteers who seached and to the yet to be done autopsy.
      2,000 miler
    • The years creep up on us in strange ways. Judgment and reflexes start to slip. We're more sensitive to cold. We don't bounce back as quickly from injuries, infections, etc. Stuff that was routine when we were young starts to be a bit of a challenge.

I'm sometimes surprised that there aren't more people lost, especially with the all the aging boomers on the trail. Who among us has never had to backtrack to find the trail?
    • Geraldine Largay tragically passed away near a pond where the state has a dilemma, the pond is the same name as the other pond about 7 miles away... I have checked several maps on this and cannot figure out how this happened. But I know we should fix it....Why not get the folks in Maine to change the name of the pond that's closer to the the AT.

SO how does one get the attention of the state to make this happen?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Geraldine Largay tragically passed away near a pond where the state has a dilemma, the pond is the same name as the other pond about 7 miles away... I have checked several maps on this and cannot figure out how this happened. But I know we should fix it....Why not get the folks in Maine to change the name of the pond that's closer to the the AT.

SO how does one get the attention of the state to make this happen?
      die near one of the ponds - when they find your body someone will probably notice. If not, who cares?
    • My original question was more about " why can we care and do something a little legislative" Would not this be a great idea and get some backing and get the AT trail some acknowledgment.

Who do we reach out to..

I dont have a plan - but I am asking Why - Not?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • medical examiners report out.

<snip>

Appalachian Trail thru-hiker Geraldine Largay died of exposure and lack of food and water, according to an autopsy by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

The Maine Warden Service announced the results of the medical examiner’s examination, which also used DNA to confirm Largay’s identity.

Largay’s family also issued a statement, distributed by the warden’s service, which reads in part: “After all of the communication and information from everyone involved including the Medical Examiner’s Office, Navy, and the Maine Attorney General’s Office, these findings are conclusive in that no foul play was involved and that Gerry simply made a wrong turn shortly after crossing Orbeton Stream.”

pressherald.com/2015/10/30/ger…hian-trail-autopsy-finds/
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().