Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Where to LASH next?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Where to LASH next?

OK I have three AT sections left to complete the trail. They are NOC to Niday Shelter (south of Dragon's Tooth) , Elkwallow Wayside (SNP) to Harper's Ferry, and Killington to Katahdin. It looks like my next available time would start mid June. Which should I do first? I can possibly hike into fall, so I am not ruling out doing all three if my feet knees and hips cooperate.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • i would really try to do killington-katahdin when you can hike that section in the fall. so i would not do that section with a mid june start.

between north carolina and virginia? from personal experience its gonna be hot either place. so here's the difference as i see it....with a mid june start there will be no thrus except for an occasional late starting straggler in north carolina. there should plenty in virginia. so...seems to me the choice is between solitude and company (relatively speaking, of course). your choice.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

rafe wrote:

June can be a hot month anywhere you go. One of my most miserable (seriously hot!) section hikes was from Bear Mtn. (NY) up to Great Barrington MA, in late June 2005.
      Not as hot as July and August, which I am doing 95% of the AT in. :)
      Usually you can count on some cooling by early or mid August. But not always... August in southern Vermont in 2002 was also nasty hot. August in northern Vermont this year was rainy and cool -- downright chilly at the summit of Jay peak.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

OK I have three AT sections left to complete the trail. They are NOC to Niday Shelter (south of Dragon's Tooth) , Elkwallow Wayside (SNP) to Harper's Ferry, and Killington to Katahdin. It looks like my next available time would start mid June. Which should I do first? I can possibly hike into fall, so I am not ruling out doing all three if my feet knees and hips cooperate.

rafe wrote:

June can be a hot month anywhere you go. One of my most miserable (seriously hot!) section hikes was from Bear Mtn. (NY) up to Great Barrington MA, in late June 2005.
      Section hikers carry my greatest admiration.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC