Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

EL panels, electroluminescent

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• EL panels, electroluminescent

EL panels.

About 4 inches square ( 10 cm x 10 cm)

Come in blue, white, and aqua. I bought mine from adafruit.com, other places have other colors.

The battery case takes 4 AAA batteries and ups the voltages to 100 VDC, and lowers the current way down. Could be used for late night reading that wont bother the other campers. The power supply is off, blink, or steady. There is a high pitched whine fomr the inverter. Some folks can hear it, others cannot. Water can break it. Very light weight.

Link:

This page shows the inverters, EL wires, strips, and panels. The EL wires come in more colors.
      adafruit.com/categories/50

This 'kit' has all you need for one setup. Panel, wires, batteries, and inverter. Pick your color.
      adafruit.com/products/639
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I have a 1 meter long green strip, but my phone isn't cooperating with connecting to my laptop... it has connectors on both ends. The shortest EL strip, according to what I remember on the adafruit site, should be at least 14 inches long. So you could make 2 strips out of this 1 meter one. Its about a half inch wide.

I was thinking of trying it for inside tent illumination.

The EL wires are more resilient, but I wouldn't fold any of these inside the tent.

You can put the battery/inverter in a pocket, velcro it closed, and wrap the EL wire around your arm.
      --
    • I have an EL light. It's a tube that contains a AA battery. The light panel surrounds the battery inside a plastic tube. You twist the end to turn on and off. Pretty slick. Sends light in 360 degrees. More than enough to light a tent. Have not used it backpacking but have used it in blackouts. I have used the face of a Timex Indiglo watch as a mini light when camping. I believe these are also EL panels.
    • odd man out wrote:

I have an EL light. It's a tube that contains a AA battery. The light panel surrounds the battery inside a plastic tube. You twist the end to turn on and off. Pretty slick. Sends light in 360 degrees. More than enough to light a tent. Have not used it backpacking but have used it in blackouts. I have used the face of a Timex Indiglo watch as a mini light when camping. I believe these are also EL panels.

I think its an earlier form. Not sure though. I remember Indiglo watches being made on ' How Its Made' show. If I see it again, I'll check on the EL part.
      --
    • I was in the automotive section of Wallyworld a few months ago and bought a package of 4 'safety flares'.

Two red, one green, and one white, rods about 4 inches long. LEDs inside the plastic tube.

The reds flash, and the other two are steady. They use small watch batteries.

Also found a Flasher light, white and red, very bright, that is a twist on and off. Runs on 2 AA batteries.

I'll try and find time to photo them and upload.
      --
    • Like the idea - but white LED's are getting better. bought some 12v power strips for lighting up a car and they are an ounce a piece. Built a reflector for the campsite and popped for a magnetic support from Home Despot. More to follow if interested.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • JimBlue wrote:

I did find and buy a 200 lumen Ozark Trails flashlight. Only problem is no hole or place to attach cord so I don't drop it and lose it.

Might epoxy a ring onto it.
      Well I am a little frustrated - I am looking for a ultra light fix on AA not AAA that will collapse and be small and provide great light... current design sucks.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Like the idea - but white LED's are getting better. bought some 12v power strips for lighting up a car and they are an ounce a piece. Built a reflector for the campsite and popped for a magnetic support from Home Despot. More to follow if interested.
      Interested...

I'm using a 3AA powered MiniMag lite for both tent illumination (suspended from 550 cord) and as a bike light (slips into a PVC holder I fashioned). Yes it's heavy but has high durability. Using the low power setting works well for the tent.

An interesting aspect of LED illumination is I've had two small flashlights damaged due to battery leakage. Apparently the power draw is so low, the Energizer batteries leaked prior to depletion dispite regilar usage.

Talking with an Energizer rep resulted in a referral to MagLite folks for a warranty claim. MagLite said to send the units in for repair or replacement.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76: Correction: 'AAA' corrected to 'AA' ().

• Dan76 wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Like the idea - but white LED's are getting better. bought some 12v power strips for lighting up a car and they are an ounce a piece. Built a reflector for the campsite and popped for a magnetic support from Home Despot. More to follow if interested.
      Interested...
      I'm using a 3AAA powered MiniMag lite for both tent illumination (suspended from 550 cord) and as a bike light (slips into a PVC holder I fashioned). Yes it's heavy but has high durability. Using the low power setting works well for the tent.

An interesting aspect of LED illumination is I've had two small flashlights damaged due to battery leakage. Apparently the power draw is so low, the Energizer batteries leaked prior to depletion dispite regilar usage.

Talking with an Energizer rep resulted in a referral to MagLite folks for a warranty claim. MagLite said to send the units in for repair or replacement.
      OK I am a huge fan of mini LED mag. Did you find the chip activation? turn on turn off, then quickly turn on again..

High, Low, pulse or flash, then SOS?

also remove the reflector and it becomes a base as it is a lantern. I have three of these... there is only one better. The ------ Stinger...

Moving on.... There are multiple strip LED Zenon now available in three and 12v - I do a lot of back of car and used to sleep in a Dodge Caravan year round each weekend...

Coupled with a cheep stainless steel reflector and chic connectors and a 12v plug.. wonderful. Give me a couple days I will make a video...
    • Yes I have this model...multi-mode and saves battery life as the low setting is adequate for most needs.. The strobe is useful for daylight biking in traffic.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • My small Coleman tent plantern, yellow plastic with a black base, uses 3 AA batteries. I thought it used AAA batteries and so I hadn't mentioned it. Doesn't collapse though.

They also make a red metal one that does collapse. Uses 3 AAA batteries.

Bayco, in the automotive section at Wal-Mart, makes light bars that run off of 6 AAA batteries. Flashlight at the end with 1 bright LED and a side light with 36 bright LEDs. No idea on use time as I keep it back for emergencies.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Almost forgot to type this up. The square panels worked best on reading maps at night. The EL strips and EL wires not very good for that.

But if you just need a light for moonless nights, the strips should work fine.
      I dug into this... I like the white panels - not bright enough yet..... Interesting thread. Cant wait for the upgrade./