Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sleeping Bag Search

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sleeping Bag Search

Hunter has told me that he has asked his mom for a sleeping bag for Christmas, and has asked me for suggestions. He has been using my Deuter Dreamlite bag which is rated to 50º, and admitted to me that he's been cold a couple nights that were down into the mid to low-60s, here in June and August. And I have seen him get cold easily at work.

So, I figure that I need to get him into a bag rated for the mid-30s and comfortable into the low-40s. Of course weight and price are rather important considerations too.

So far it seems that Marmot Nanowave 35 might be the best fit for him -- rei.com/product/880127/marmot-nanowave-35-sleeping-bag

While the Kelty Dualist 34 -- rei.com/product/880601/kelty-dualist-34-sleeping-bag

And

The North Face Aluetian 35 -- rei.com/product/864447/the-nor…-aleutian-35-sleeping-bag

Each are also potential options for him. Each bag is right around 2.25 lbs, rated for mid-30s and comfortable in the low-40s, while priced at or below $100. Thoughts?

They each sure seem to be the best balance of performance, weight and cost for a late spring to early fall bag.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Thanks for the reply.

It looks like TNF updated the Aleutian and according to this video it can be unzipped to lay flat and a partial zipper opposite the full length zipper to fold down the top of the bag.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I have an Aluetian. Zipper is only 3/4 length. I picked up when I unexspecty needed one for work. Not bad for price but limited use for warmer weather due to foot box. Really hard to use as a quilt.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

Hunter has told me that he has asked his mom for a sleeping bag for Christmas, and has asked me for suggestions. He has been using my Deuter Dreamlite bag which is rated to 50º, and admitted to me that he's been cold a couple nights that were down into the mid to low-60s, here in June and August. And I have seen him get cold easily at work.

So, I figure that I need to get him into a bag rated for the mid-30s and comfortable into the low-40s. Of course weight and price are rather important considerations too.

So far it seems that Marmot Nanowave 35 might be the best fit for him -- rei.com/product/880127/marmot-nanowave-35-sleeping-bag

While the Kelty Dualist 34 -- rei.com/product/880601/kelty-dualist-34-sleeping-bag

And

The North Face Aluetian 35 -- rei.com/product/864447/the-nor…-aleutian-35-sleeping-bag

Each are also potential options for him. Each bag is right around 2.25 lbs, rated for mid-30s and comfortable in the low-40s, while priced at or below $100. Thoughts?

They each sure seem to be the best balance of performance, weight and cost for a late spring to early fall bag.
      Friends have 2 of the three and report favourable experience. Can't write about the Kelty though I have an older down Kelty which I'm pleased with.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

Have you considered having him sleep in warmer clothes instead of getting a new sleeping bag?

Yes, he is adding some warmer clothing to his kit, but he does not own his own sleeping bag and has been barrowing one of mine. He's putting a sleeping bag on his Christmas wish list, and I want to give options to choose from and make it easy for mom to get a decent bag that will serve him well from about May to September.