Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

uhh stupid.... perhaps... ya just cannot get enough,,,I thought cyotes ran away,

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• uhh stupid.... perhaps... ya just cannot get enough,,,I thought cyotes ran away,

MANCHESTER, N.J. – A hiker trying to escape from coyotes in a wooded area of southern New Jersey has gotten stuck in a tree for nearly five hours.

The Asbury Park Press (on.app.com/1KucTce ) says Manchester Township police found April Lewis tied to a tree about 15 feet off the ground early Monday.

The Quakertown, Pennsylvania, resident thought she had spotted coyotes in the distance and climbed the tree for safety. Lewis cut off a piece of her pants to tie herself to the tree but didn't have her cellphone to call for help.

A man heard Lewis' cries and called police.

Officers found Lewis. Firefighters helped her down from the tree. She was evaluated at the scene and was released.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Well, they have spread way outside their range they had in the 1800s. Of course, she could be perfectly fine, and was going by some mass hysteria type report such as seen on tv recently.

I haven't seen one on coyotes... but i have seen lots of hyperventilation on it beng hot. Oh wait, this is summer in the Northern Hemisphere !

I think some channels give their talking heads on tv extra money if they ramp up the heart medication sales.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I occasionally hear coyotes here in suburbia. But other people hear them too. There appears to be a pack of coydogs or coywolves somewhere down in the Mohawk River gorge, where nobody lives.

Coyotes have spread far beyond their range from the 1800's, because in the meantime we extirpated the wolves and the cougars. In the Northeast, they're starting to grow pretty big and have a lot of wolf DNA. They're breeding themselves into a new form of wolf. A lot of naturalists consider the Eastern coyote to be a likely example of an emerging species.

I welcome the recolonization of the Northeast by large canids - a more wolf-like creature. It's almost certain to be a Very Good Thing for the forests. Check out the video embedded in this article. (Sorry, Elf, I know it would make it harder for you to fill your freezer in the autumn, but on the whole it's still a Good Thing.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I drove into the Pigeon River Country in Northern Michigan to duck hunt. It was the end of November. The remote lake I was going to hunt was frozen solid. Since I had nothing else to do, I dropped the tailgate of my truck took out my thermos and like a good cop grabbed a doughnut and watched the sun come up. I could hear coyotes barking in the distance and it was getting closer. The pack drove a deer out on the ice. There was no snow on the ice and the deer went down. The pack was on it. They were probably 200 yards away and they ate the deer alive. It was fascinating, gruesome, and I don't know what else. It wasn't a good way to die for the deer.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

I drove into the Pigeon River Country in Northern Michigan to duck hunt. It was the end of November. The remote lake I was going to hunt was frozen solid. Since I had nothing else to do, I dropped the tailgate of my truck took out my thermos and like a good cop grabbed a doughnut and watched the sun come up. I could hear coyotes barking in the distance and it was getting closer. The pack drove a deer out on the ice. There was no snow on the ice and the deer went down. The pack was on it. They were probably 200 yards away and they ate the deer alive. It was fascinating, gruesome, and I don't know what else. It wasn't a good way to die for the deer.
      You saw survival of the fittest first hand.

I've seen a similar scenario with new born fawns. It's not pretty.

What 's the name of the lake?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

I drove into the Pigeon River Country in Northern Michigan to duck hunt. It was the end of November. The remote lake I was going to hunt was frozen solid. Since I had nothing else to do, I dropped the tailgate of my truck took out my thermos and like a good cop grabbed a doughnut and watched the sun come up. I could hear coyotes barking in the distance and it was getting closer. The pack drove a deer out on the ice. There was no snow on the ice and the deer went down. The pack was on it. They were probably 200 yards away and they ate the deer alive. It was fascinating, gruesome, and I don't know what else. It wasn't a good way to die for the deer.
      You saw survival of the fittest first hand.
      I've seen a similar scenario with new born fawns. It's not pretty.

What 's the name of the lake?
      Hardwood or Harwood it's 4 wheel drive to get there.
      bacon can solve most any problem.