Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

My Next 8-10 days

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My Next 8-10 days

So, some of you may know that I am involved in a multi-year pursuit to re-hike the AT. (I have thru-hiked once). So far, I've re-hiked roughly half of the trail all over the map.
      I've done everything from south of Partnership Shelter except for a scant few miles that I need to go trail run in a couple of places. I've also done some of northern VA all the way
      to Pine Grove Furnace, PA plus I've done all of MA, CT, VT and NH through Pinkham Notch NH which leads me to next week. I plan to drive up (from GA) this weekend to Pinkham Notch (just north
      of Mt Washington) and hike north to Rangeley, ME which is 99 miles - I might also opt to go on to Stratton ME (131m) if I'm moving fast. This is one of the hardest sections of the
      trail but I did hold down 12-14m days in NH and expect roughly the same pace in southern Maine - I will at least make 12.37mpd x 8 days which is the min mileage to get to Rangeley.
      If anyone is interested in tagging along, let me know. My hiking style is up early and go - not crazy fast but steady trying to make at least 10 miles by noon and quitting by about
      4:00 pm. Here is my e-mail: drewclimber@yahoo.com - I know it is short notice but a running mate would be fun - I already have a shuttle arranged by the way. I'm also not too
      interested in teaching backpacking - you need your own gear and the experience to do it :thumbup:
    • PapaD wrote:

So, some of you may know that I am involved in a multi-year pursuit to re-hike the AT. (I have thru-hiked once). So far, I've re-hiked roughly half of the trail all over the map.
      I've done everything from south of Partnership Shelter except for a scant few miles that I need to go trail run in a couple of places. I've also done some of northern VA all the way
      to Pine Grove Furnace, PA plus I've done all of MA, CT, VT and NH through Pinkham Notch NH which leads me to next week. I plan to drive up (from GA) this weekend to Pinkham Notch (just north
      of Mt Washington) and hike north to Rangeley, ME which is 99 miles - I might also opt to go on to Stratton ME (131m) if I'm moving fast. This is one of the hardest sections of the
      trail but I did hold down 12-14m days in NH and expect roughly the same pace in southern Maine - I will at least make 12.37mpd x 8 days which is the min mileage to get to Rangeley.
      If anyone is interested in tagging along, let me know. My hiking style is up early and go - not crazy fast but steady trying to make at least 10 miles by noon and quitting by about
      4:00 pm. Here is my e-mail: drewclimber@yahoo.com - I know it is short notice but a running mate would be fun - I already have a shuttle arranged by the way. I'm also not too
      interested in teaching backpacking - you need your own gear and the experience to do it :thumbup:
      wish i could join you , but i'll be working till end of september.
      your plan is sound.
      its all good
    • Max Patch - you are right about WB!

Hey twistwrist - are you hiking thru? congrats so far.
      I like MA a lot and VT is even better (I did the Long Trail
      too one time - highly recommended). But yes,you have
      quite a bit of great hiking ahead of you - if you have time
      take a zero at the Inn at Long Trail - that's US4 - they have
      a band if you catch them on a Friday or Saturday night -it's
      about 100 miles north of the border.

I'm still leaving on Saturday - probably getting a campground or
      something in VA saturday night then hopefully to somewhere in
      New England on Sunday night (might make Chet's Place - anyone
      know if that place is still around?) Pinkham Notch (probably) Monday
      morning - - so chime in if your are interested - I can pick you up anywhere
      near the trail or the road on between N. GA and NH.

Cheers.
    • PapaD wrote:

Max Patch - you are right about WB!

Hey twistwrist - are you hiking thru? congrats so far.
      I like MA a lot and VT is even better (I did the Long Trail
      too one time - highly recommended). But yes,you have
      quite a bit of great hiking ahead of you - if you have time
      take a zero at the Inn at Long Trail - that's US4 - they have
      a band if you catch them on a Friday or Saturday night -it's
      about 100 miles north of the border.

I'm still leaving on Saturday - probably getting a campground or
      something in VA saturday night then hopefully to somewhere in
      New England on Sunday night (might make Chet's Place - anyone
      know if that place is still around?) Pinkham Notch (probably) Monday
      morning - - so chime in if your are interested - I can pick you up anywhere
      near the trail or the road on between N. GA and NH.

Cheers.
      +1 on the Inn at the Long Trail. You get a huge breakfast included with your stay, and if you want to go into Rutland or Killington, the bus stops right out front and it's only $2. Here's my breakfast when I stayed there:
      Images
      • brkfst at the LT inn.jpg

87.85 kB, 800×480, viewed 401 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • What we have here is a bunch of old hikers who like to joke AND argue but not about hiking. On hiking issues we readily advise, discuss and debate without acrimony. It helps a lot that we don't get people who have never hiked asking how to reduce their base weight from 13 to 11.5 pounds.
      And the moderator has a recipe for alligator stew.
      :saint:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

What we have here is a bunch of old hikers who like to joke AND argue but not about hiking. On hiking issues we readily advise, discuss and debate without acrimony. It helps a lot that we don't get people who have never hiked asking how to reduce their base weight from 13 to 11.5 pounds.
      And the moderator has a recipe for alligator stew.
      :saint:
      lol...i got a facebook message from someone i won't name after the site had been open for 3 months or so who asked why i was here as the site is "just old pharts posting links to old phart music."

i told em to check out my links. :)
      2,000 miler
    • I don't play many of the music links. I like them but now that I am in a rural area I only have wireless Internet. The way it works here is it costs me $60 a month for a lousy 8gb of data. After that I pay big! The phone line is not good enough for data so we didn't connect a house phone.
      Apparently I have to wait for a new satellite to become active late next year for the chance to get a better deal. What really annoys me is that an optic fibre cable runs across my land but I can't connect to it. I have to be careful. Accidentally cutting it would cost me a packet.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • PapaD

My wife and I will be in Maine next week,
      We'll be a little north and south of Mahoosuc Notch as well as catching a few miles in NH we skipped the first time through.
      If you see us, and our dog, make sure to say hello.
      Look for an old couple with a 90 pound shepherd.
      <--------------That's us in the picture over there