Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Grayson Highlands July 2015

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Grayson Highlands July 2015

We pulled into the overnight parking in Grayson Highlands Park around 10:00am. I knew it was a late start with the afternoon heat we were about to have. But, I have also learned to let three women go at their own pace getting ready. We made it to the gate to start our hike up rhododendron trail and a group photo.

The smiles on everyone's face got even bigger a half mile up the trail. I made sure not to push them too hard on our hike. Our niece and her friend had never backpacked before and my back was giving me the blues. So I found a nice shade tree we could all fit under and cool down some. We first saw one ponie up on a ridge and wondered if it would come down to visit. It came down with 15 or so more. Lots of pictures were taken. Especially of Fabio.

Those ponies had us stopped for around 30 minutes so I rounded the groups up and started back up the trail. It wasn't too long before we ran into the berries. There were enough ripe that we could all pick and enjoy them. But it will be another week or two before the prime picking starts. .. Once we had our fill of berries we started up the trail again. We made it too the gate that leaves the park and decided to stop for lunch. There are a couple of great spots just past the gate for camping so we picked one of them and stopped there. Lunch was good and there was more berry picking to be done. We saved a few to put in our oatmeal the next morning. We packed up and headed on. I figured we stop somewhere before Thomas Knob Shelter. I've done this section a few times so I decided not to take the AT and just stay on the Rhododendron Gap trail. It's not as steep as the AT. After a few more breaks of berry picking and hanging out under shade trees we hit rhododendron gap. They saw all the campsites and said "we made it". I said no, we still have a little farther to go. And once I saw the looks on there faces I knew they were through. We went to a shade tree to cool down again. We dropped our packs and I headed off. I told them I was going to see a man about a dog but I was actually looking for a spot for us to pitch our tents. I found a great spot and they were so happy we were done for the day. It was here we saw our only steers. Which was just fine with my wife and I cause last year we got chased by one that made as run to a fence and climb over.

At breakfast we had a small colt wonder into camp to send up on our way. It was going to be another hot day. We now we're going to go north to camp just past Wise shelter. It was a hot day with more berry picking and sweating.we stopped at the shelter for pictures. There was a sign inside that said for thru hikers and section hikers only. .??? Just past the shelter is some great camping spots right on the creek. I had them pitch their tent before getting in the water because storms were in the forecast. While they played in the creek I went and gathered firewood. We had a nice evening. They all laid down before it was dark and I didn't hear a noise from them till morning. We had a storm get close with lots of thunder and lightning but it never did rain that night.

Nobody wanted to walk back up the long hill back to the park so I broke out a map and decided to take the Wilson Creek Trail out. It was a horse trail that crossed the creek 4 or 5 times. The trail ended and came out at the campground and the store. They couldn't wait for a cold drink, nor could I. I left them by the store and walked the road to get the car. It started raining on me and it felt good. It poured for a good ten minutes on me. It never did rain by the store where they were waiting.

The girls had a blast and said they couldn't wait to do it again!