Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Unicoi Gap to Thunder Rock Campground

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unicoi Gap to Thunder Rock Campground

I hiked 36 miles on the BMT this week. It was a great section and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sunday, I hiked from Unicoi Gap to Loss Creek campsite. It was an easy day, the only hard part was climbing out of Coker Creek campground. The spider webs were numerous and I kept thinking that no one has been through there since hikerboy and friends. Then I started seeing fresh trash on the trail and two mounds close to each other with TP on top of them. I never saw anyone. It thundered that night but didn't rain and the frogs were really loud.

Day 2 I hiked to Lost Creek campground. This section is very diverse and you hike from the forest to the viney, swamp-like area around Towee Creek, to the Hiwassee River. There was a lot of flat walking but it wasn't easy. It was hot and humid walking along the river. After stopping at Webb Brother's for a coke, I went on to Hiwassee River Outfitters and took a wonderful, cold shower. I stopped at Lost Creek campsite for dinner but decided not to stay and continued on to the campground. I was worried about the next day and wanted to get more mileage in, even though it was only .5 miles. I should have stayed at the campsite, it was fabulous.

Day 3 I hiked to Thunder Rock campground, my destination. This section is mainly through forests and a beautiful meadow. There are a few road crossings but none that are difficult to navigate. From Piney Flats to US 64, 9 miles, I did not see water. There are some sources listed in the guide but I could not find them. I ran out through this section but did fine. When I got to Thunder Rock campground, the caretaker was cleaning the bathroom. I asked her if there was a soda machine and she told me there wasn't one close by. When I walked back to pay for my site, she gave me a red solo cup with ice and a Mt. Dew. She was so thoughtful and the cold drink was wonderful. Her generosity meant a lot to me.

Another great trip on the BMT. I think I will finish this trail 2017.

^^^ that is the official story ^^^

The unofficial story includes camping next to hippies, getting turned around a few times, scratching my leg and having to do first aid, not being able to find Thunder Rock campground, and pilfering in the trash for soap and shampoo. :D
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Cheers for getting out and doing some backpacking!

Is the Unicoi Gap that you started at the same Unicoi Gap that the AT crosses?
      Is 'hippies' code for dope smokers?

My window for hiking this year may have closed since I started a new job on Monday. Working part-time for/with people who are wonderful so far.
    • I forgot to mention how bad my feet hurt because there isn't enough support in my running shoes. I only got one blister from a toenail rubbing one of my toes so the shoes were awesome in that regard. But my feet hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep last night and ended up wrapping my wet shirt around them. I guess another shoe hunt is necessary, I better start saving my money. :(
    • Trillium wrote:

Cheers for getting out and doing some backpacking!

My window for hiking this year may have closed since I started a new job on Monday. Working part-time for/with people who are wonderful so far.
      This is a different Unicoi Gap, it's in Coker Creek, TN. The hippies were in a big, hippy-looking van and they had long scraggly beards and hippy clothes. I don't know if they were smoking dope but their conversation was hilarious.

Good luck in your new job!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I forgot to mention how bad my feet hurt because there isn't enough support in my running shoes. I only got one blister from a toenail rubbing one of my toes so the shoes were awesome in that regard. But my feet hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep last night and ended up wrapping my wet shirt around them. I guess another shoe hunt is necessary, I better start saving my money. :(
      Brings back memories I'll like to forget, my feet hurt so bad once the sleeping bag barely touching them kept me awake.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I forgot to mention how bad my feet hurt because there isn't enough support in my running shoes. I only got one blister from a toenail rubbing one of my toes so the shoes were awesome in that regard. But my feet hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep last night and ended up wrapping my wet shirt around them. I guess another shoe hunt is necessary, I better start saving my money. :(
      have you tried superfeet? the insoles in my nikes are floppy things that have no support so i replace them with green superfeet. people seem to love em or hate em. at $40 cheap solution if they work. or an expensive experiment if they end up in the trash.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

have you tried superfeet? the insoles in my nikes are floppy things that have no support so i replace them with green superfeet. people seem to love em or hate em. at $40 cheap solution if they work. or an expensive experiment if they end up in the trash.
      Regretfully, I fall into the latter category.
    • Trillium wrote:

Beware of part time jobs, they tend to become full time, I'm going back into full time retirement after September. if not before, didn't get to do much of any thing this past year, looking forward to the CT in August.
    • hikerboy wrote:

its a beautiful section, one of my favorite parts. you really do need to pay attention to trail intersections though, and maps are key.
      sounds like you had a great time.
      i agree with it being "much better than the at", at least from springer to davenport gap.but the at in nh and maine can't be beat
      I definitely will do this section again, it's awesome.

It's challenging to hike the BMT SOBO when the guide is written for NOBOs. Example, coming out of Coker Creek campground, there are no blazes guiding SOBOs to the trailhead so I had to wander around the campground. I first made a sharp, right turn onto a trail that was next to the sign pointing NOBOs to the bridge but quickly realized that was wrong because the trail sign didn't have anything about the BMT on it.

And walking through Hiwassee Outfitters, the only blaze (that I could find) is on the power pole. There are two trestles. The guide says to cross Ellis Creek and walk under the trestle. Reading backwards, my directions were to walk under the trestle then cross Ellis Creek. I crossed under the trestle and there was a creek the right distance away. But there was another trestle to my right that went down a paved road. There were no blazes. I decided to turn down the paved road...no blazes along that road...and cross the creek and finally saw a blaze.

I'm not complaining, it's fun and challenging and I appreciate the guide and all the blazes, I couldn't hike this trail without them. I just don't want anyone to think I'm stupid because I get turned around sometimes. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Defining "feet hurt" might help with good advice. In my case I often get the bottoms (i.e. the pads) of my feet sore early in a hike.
      I have found that the really cheap (I assume Walmart over there) sorbothane or similar insoles under the manufacturers insole helps. Is the pain exterior or interior? Exterior pain may mean shoes are a half size to small even without blisters or are you reacting to the material the sock is made of. With mesh shoes did you walk through poison ivy? Interior pain would suggest ligament strain or bruising on the bone etc.
      Your body uses pain to tell you things. Take the time to have a detailed conversation with it.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • hikerboy wrote:

ive done a few aztec two steps myself.and i believe i related the story when i got turned around on the yellow creek ridge trail
      nobo, that section that crosses the road before hiawassee outfitters is pretty straightforward. sobo i can see that it would be confusing.
      on the other hand, at Deep Gap where you cross the road at the power lines, I don't know how anyone hiking nobo could find the trail. It was overgrown with vegetation that was taller than me. I had no choice to fight through it because there was no other direction for me to go. My legs were scratched to heck. Going Nobo, I would have gone down the gated, dirt road first.

But it's okay because we're supposed to do it all wrong!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

ive done a few aztec two steps myself.and i believe i related the story when i got turned around on the yellow creek ridge trail
      nobo, that section that crosses the road before hiawassee outfitters is pretty straightforward. sobo i can see that it would be confusing.
      on the other hand, at Deep Gap where you cross the road at the power lines, I don't know how anyone hiking nobo could find the trail. It was overgrown with vegetation that was taller than me. I had no choice to fight through it because there was no other direction for me to go. My legs were scratched to heck. Going Nobo, I would have gone down the gated, dirt road first.
      But it's okay because we're supposed to do it all wrong!
      there is much of the bmt i would not hike in shorts. tons of thorny brambles everywhere.
      its all good
    • OzJacko wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Defining "feet hurt" might help with good advice. In my case I often get the bottoms (i.e. the pads) of my feet sore early in a hike.I have found that the really cheap (I assume Walmart over there) sorbothane or similar insoles under the manufacturers insole helps. Is the pain exterior or interior? Exterior pain may mean shoes are a half size to small even without blisters or are you reacting to the material the sock is made of. With mesh shoes did you walk through poison ivy? Interior pain would suggest ligament strain or bruising on the bone etc.
      Your body uses pain to tell you things. Take the time to have a detailed conversation with it.
      It was general pain, like when my work shoes start wearing out and I've been on my feet for 12 hrs. And the bottom of my feet were on fire. The caretaker cleaned the shower with bleach and it was still wet when I took a shower...I don't know if that's what caused the burning sensation. It made me think about getting camp shoes that I can shower in. I had rinsed out my shirt and wrapping it around my feet helped with the burning.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

on the other hand, at Deep Gap where you cross the road at the power lines, I don't know how anyone hiking nobo could find the trail. It was overgrown with vegetation that was taller than me. I had no choice to fight through it because there was no other direction for me to go. My legs were scratched to heck. Going Nobo, I would have gone down the gated, dirt road first.But it's okay because we're supposed to do it all wrong!
      there is much of the bmt i would not hike in shorts. tons of thorny brambles everywhere.
      Made that mistake earlier this year on a different trail.....

If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • hikerboy wrote:

its a beautiful section, one of my favorite parts. you really do need to pay attention to trail intersections though, and maps are key.
      sounds like you had a great time.
      i agree with it being "much better than the at", at least from springer to davenport gap.but the at in nh and maine can't be beat
      I know I said that but I really think both the AT and the BMT are great trails, just different. Sometimes it's a little lonely on the BMT and this time I was hoping to meet other hikers. I think my next hiking trip is going to be on the AT.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Defining "feet hurt" might help with good advice. In my case I often get the bottoms (i.e. the pads) of my feet sore early in a hike.I have found that the really cheap (I assume Walmart over there) sorbothane or similar insoles under the manufacturers insole helps. Is the pain exterior or interior? Exterior pain may mean shoes are a half size to small even without blisters or are you reacting to the material the sock is made of. With mesh shoes did you walk through poison ivy? Interior pain would suggest ligament strain or bruising on the bone etc.Your body uses pain to tell you things. Take the time to have a detailed conversation with it.
      It was general pain, like when my work shoes start wearing out and I've been on my feet for 12 hrs. And the bottom of my feet were on fire. The caretaker cleaned the shower with bleach and it was still wet when I took a shower...I don't know if that's what caused the burning sensation. It made me think about getting camp shoes that I can shower in. I had rinsed out my shirt and wrapping it around my feet helped with the burning.
      I also have that problem, have no idea what causes it, it comes and goes and often not while hiking, the worst it has been was just sitting, even house shoes bugged me.
    • This trip, I was really thoughtful with my gear. I carefully considered everything, weighed everything, and made a few changes.

I bought the pillow that hikerboy and jimmyjam recommend which opened up a lot of space in my pack. I reduced my first aid kit and moved it to one of JJ's CF bags. I used another CF bag for my hygiene kit and cut down my toothbrush and comb. (Make sure you leave enough handle on the toothbrush so you don't have to stick your hand in your mouth ). I also came up with a cook set that worked great and only weighed 13.4 oz.

My food weighed about 4.5 lbs. I could have carried less and resupplied at Webb Brothers. I found tuna on tortillas isn't palatable when it's hot but chocolate hazelnut butter is great. I had a little bit of food left over.

One of my mistakes was sleeping clothes. I took a long sleeve shirt and scrub pants but it was too hot and I mostly slept in my hiking clothes. I didn't use my sleeping bag either except to sleep on.

I took more pairs of socks than I normally do, a pair for sleeping and an extra pair just in case. I thought this was extravagant but I used both extra pair. I really babied my feet by removing my shoes and socks every time I stopped and reapplying the Body Glide.

I used the bungees on my shoulder straps for the first time to carry water bottles. I LOVE this. At first it annoyed me because the bottles kept banging into my chest. So I only hung one bottle at the time and that was more tolerable. When full, the Gatorade bottle was more annoying than the Smart Water bottle. Not having to take my pack off every time I wanted a drink was amazing.

My pack weighed about 22 lbs and felt great. I didn't have any hip pain or back pain, just a little shoulder soreness.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I use bungees too to hang a 20oz gatorade bottle on each shoulder strap and love it. I find that it helps to counter balance the pack weight and is usually enough for me to go 5 miles. I keep water in one and electrolyte mix in the other.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

This is a different Unicoi Gap, it's in Coker Creek, TN. The hippies were in a big, hippy-looking van and they had long scraggly beards and hippy clothes. I don't know if they were smoking dope but their conversation was hilarious.
      Good luck in your new job!
      Thanks TJ! It's going very well so far. Last Friday as I was waking up and thinking about how the week went as opposed to the position I took early retirement from, tears came to the corners of my eyes because I am so happy now and was so miserable before. Everyone has been very welcoming and I feel wanted and appreciated.
    • Trillium wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

This is a different Unicoi Gap, it's in Coker Creek, TN. The hippies were in a big, hippy-looking van and they had long scraggly beards and hippy clothes. I don't know if they were smoking dope but their conversation was hilarious.Good luck in your new job!
      Thanks TJ! It's going very well so far. Last Friday as I was waking up and thinking about how the week went as opposed to the position I took early retirement from, tears came to the corners of my eyes because I am so happy now and was so miserable before. Everyone has been very welcoming and I feel wanted and appreciated.
      thats great to hear, trillium. its great to feel welcome where you work, and it sucks when you're miserable in any job position. life is too short.when your unhappy you need to change what it is thats making you so.ive found that if you let it, life will always push you in the right direction.it seems you're in a good place right now,and i'm happy for you.
      its all good