Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Back from strolling the South AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Back from strolling the South AT

I just returned from a LASH. Started at Dicks Creek Gap in GA and wandered up to Erwin, Tenn. Twenty-four days on the trail, eight days without rain, it really is a rain forest! I got thru the Smokys before the bear incident and did not see any bears or poop from them. It did rain everyday in the smokys and hailed at 2 o'clock twice. I met a 62 yr. old lady that fell in the mud and hurt her back and ankle at Silers Bald Shelter. She was with 3 grandchildren and her daughter but had no way to call for help. I had one bar on my Tracphone if I stood in a certain place and used it to call 911 and get the park rangers to come help her. I have no idea how it turned out but did pass the rangers and the Search and Rescue team taking the basket down the trail to get her. It reminded me how we are all one bad fall from hike ending and walked very carefully. It was thunder and lightning as I approached Max Patch, as soon as it moved off I just about ran across it. Wonderful veiws of the storm leaving and the sun lighting the mountains in the other direction. Rodies and laurel were blooming, depending on elevation. The flowers were very pretty and I even saw the rare yellow lady slipper orchid. Big bald mountain was covered in yellow flowers and butterflies, it was sunny that day.