Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Is it just me?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it just me?

Is it just me, or are there suppliers that screw you on shipping, couldn't count the times I've finally decided to buy something on the Net and cancel at the check out because of shipping, don't mind paying it if it makes sense. I finally convinced myself to spend $32 on a tee shirt, which is a lot for me since most of mine come from a thrift store, shipping was like $8.95 and I cancelled.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Is it just me, or are there suppliers that screw you on shipping, couldn't count the times I've finally decided to buy something on the Net and cancel at the check out because of shipping, don't mind paying it if it makes sense. I finally convinced myself to spend $32 on a tee shirt, which is a lot for me since most of mine come from a thrift store, shipping was like $8.95 and I cancelled.
      unfortunately the marketing strategy seems to have gone the way of Sam's, BJ's, Banes and Noble, ect...you pay for a membership to shop there or in this case, get free shipping...Amazon Prime is one, good deal if ya buy a lot. But with regards to others gotta remember fuel costs have gone up, shipping products, insurance, communication...everything across the board, and yes shipping costs. Sucks. My paycheck didn't go up, well it did a little but that went to medical insurance just to maintain the same level or tier. I think the phrase were looking for is "Hell in a hand Basket"
    • I think that what frustrates me are those companies that do not make their shipping rates easily found on their websites. I do not want to have to go half way through the checkout process just to have an inkling of what shipping will cost so that I can accurately compare prices.

I think the next thing that frustrates me is when a company's system is such that they attempt to charge $5, $6+ shipping on a $0.25 rear takedown pin detent spring.

Overall though, I just consider shipping part of the cost and shop accordingly. I try to hit the companies with free shipping, or wait until me wish list on a particular website gets to the free shipping threshold. Sierra Trading Post does not have free shipping, but they do issue coupon code deals on shipping and then I clear out my wish list there, when there is a code for no minimum $0.99 shipping. Thats how I buy my Smartwool socks.

But, I consider shipping rates over all to be rather reasonable, when you consider that you get to shop all over the country and then have the product shipped right to your front door, and not only does it get shipped but you get to track it as well and generally know exactly where the package is, and what day and time it will be delivered. I just make sure I shop accordingly.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • socks wrote:

also in the case of some large outfitters, EMS, REI if ya spend a little more...over $50 bucks you get free shipping, but you know, whatever it is.
      There actually is a web site that lists items on Amazon that can be used to increase your order to the point needed for free shipping. I once was just a few cents short of what I needed to qualify for free shipping so I went there and sure enough, I found I could add a rubber hose gasket (which I actually did need for my leaky garden hose) that was just enough to put me over the limit. I added it to my order and bingo, the 8$ shipping fee went away.
    • Last year I ordered some Snake Skins for my Hennesey Hammock. They cost 19.99 but Hennesey wanted like 15.00 to ship. They weighed 2.oz. I wrote them a polite email explaining how ridiculous this was. That same day I received a reply stating they would only charge 3 bucks to ship. I placed the order.....sometimes its worth asking.
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

Last year I ordered some Snake Skins for my Hennesey Hammock. They cost 19.99 but Hennesey wanted like 15.00 to ship. They weighed 2.oz. I wrote them a polite email explaining how ridiculous this was. That same day I received a reply stating they would only charge 3 bucks to ship. I placed the order.....sometimes its worth asking.
      Speaking of snake skins...just received my cuben fiber snake skin, .6 oz, one piece, pretty neat... $48.33 per lb! It came with other gear but by itself could have been shipped in an envelop with a postage stamp.
    • Needless to say shipping costs are a big factor for my purchases given most suppliers are overseas.
      Best value online shopping I do is actually books from the Book Depository in the UK. Taken over by Amazon it remains a separate operation. They sell me books a lot cheaper than local suppliers and shipping around the world is free.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • When I buy something, shipping is considered part of the cost, I stopped using Cabela's because they charged me $18 to ship a pair of boots Amazon would have shipped free, that along with a few other quality issues with products caused me to switch away from their credit card as well, came to the realization all my points were going to shipping.
    • Astro wrote:

Personally use Amazon Prime whenever I can.
      yep. got it for the shipping, stayed for the videos. the occasional free book is cool too.

rei will ship to store for free.

i bought a couple sleeping bags from steep and cheap for the boys. didn't realize they were a half zip so i returned them. paid shipping to get em; paid shipping to return em. that one annoyed me.
      2,000 miler