Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Loop hike in the Smokies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Loop hike in the Smokies

I did a loop hike in the Smokies this week, about 22-23(?) miles.

Day 1, I hiked 5 miles up Gregory Ridge trail. When I got to Rich Gap, the trail junction with Gregory Bald trail, the temperature dropped dramatically, the wind picked up, and it started raining. While I was fumbling for my pack cover, the rain turned to hail so I quickly headed 4 miles down Long Hungry Ridge trail to campsite 92. The hail/rain stopped as soon as I left the trail junction. There were several stream crossings that I managed without difficulty. One of them was a little dicey though. The water was up to my knees and every time I tried to plant my trekking pole, the swift water swept it off the stream bed. I ate Rasty's jambalaya for dinner, it was delicious. I didn't see any other hikers on day 1.

Day 2, I headed down Long Hungry Ridge trail to Twenty Mile trail then headed up towards the AT at Sassafras Gap, near Shuckstack fire tower. That section of trail is on the BMT, or used to be, I'll have to check the reroute. I detoured to see the fire tower but only climbed to the third platform, I'm not a fan of heights. The view was amazing. There were a bunch of thru hikers there and I observed that every female hiker and most of the male hikers were carrying Osprey packs. I talked to a thru hiker who was afraid of heights and didn't make it past the first step of the tower. Unfortunately, It didn't sound like he was having much fun on his hike. His words, "There are too many people and they are trashing the trail and ruining it."

I then hiked 3 miles up the AT to Doe Knob and turned onto Gregory Bald trail taking me back to Gregory Ridge trail. I was pretty tired and sore from all the climbing and not having worn a pack in a while, so skipped hiking the steep section to Gregory Bald (I'm sure I will regret it in a few days). The last 5 miles, I had to resort to listening to music and singing really loud. As I was walking down Gregory Ridge trail, I turned around and there were 3 hikers about 25 yds away listening to me sing, ugh.

It was a fun but strenuous hike.
      Lost in the right direction.