Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's the best sleep you remember?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's the best sleep you remember?

Mine was definitely under a hemlock tree. After a duty day in CT I had 24 hours off so I went deer hunting. I had walked in a long ways when it started to snow. I crawled underneath a hemlock and laid down so I could see under the boughs. The chiming sound the snow made as it fell in the well below freezing temp put me out like a light. When I awoke I was in a hemlock igloo and it was dark. Pre-cellphone days and I didn't have on a watch so I had no idea what time it was, only that I had to be back to work at 0730.

I burrowed out and made my way back to the truck. It was 0500. I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 17-18 hrs of uninterrupted sleep, lol.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • I don't know what it is with hemlocks. I remember a great night's sleep stealth camping in a hemlock grove a year and a half ago. It rained in the night and I didn't even notice except that my tent was all saggy in the morning. I woke up at about 0430, went out to water a tree, decided to start packing up by headlamp, crawled back in the tent to start the process, started to change from sleeping baselayer to hiking baselayer with my bag over me for warmth, and woke up again four hours later. Except for the few minutes thinking about getting up to hike, I must have slept for about 12 hours straight.

This was in the Burroughs Range in the Catskills. The loop is about 15 miles and 6500 feet of elevation gain, but there's a side trip up to Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain that adds another four miles and 2200 feet and is totally worth it. It was a great trip. I wound up hiking for a while the next day with John Burroughs's granddaughter.

It's one of my favorite hikes anywhere. Do it in "shoulder season" or midweek - it can be crowded on summer weekends. The views are awesome. And it's got some fun vertical scrambles. (If you think vertical scrambles are fun.) If there's any threat of ice at all, bring crampons. Microspikes aren't enough for the east sides of Cornell and Slide.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Once after a fraternity brown mule party I woke up the following afternoon in the walk in closet in my bedroom. Brown mule party is when everyone brings a bottle of wine or liquor and a mixer and it's all dumped into a big cooler with fruit.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I think my best trail night for sleeping was at Fontana, had the tent up on the hill, severe thunder storms, thunder, lightning, and driving rain beating on the tent.....tried my best to stay awake for the show but quickly fell into never never land....love those kind of nights.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • many years ago I was grouse hunting in Pennsylvania. My buddy and I would walk up a old logging road that spiraled up the mountain. We each shot a few grouse on the way up. The top of the mountain was a open field with one lone pine tree in the middle with the branches not starting until about 4 feet off the ground. We sat under the tree each facing a different direction while having lunch. Leaning against the tree we both fell asleep. Woke up about a hour or so later. During my nap it had snowed and everything was covered in fresh white snow. It was absoutley beautiful and one of my favorite experiences in the woods.
      RIAP
    • Drybones wrote:

I can't remember.....I was sleeping.
      Me too. I recall once when I was a teenager, I was really really tired. I went to bed and I think I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow. It was if I put my head on the pillow and it was instantly morning - like going through a time machine and the whole night passed instantly. I recall feeling ripped off, like I lost the whole night's sleep. So for me the best night's "sleep" is when I can enjoy the going to sleep and waking up parts - i.e. the parts when I'm not sleeping.
    • Rasty wrote:

Fell asleep about 4 pm at Bradley gap in the Roan Highlands. Woke up at around 6 am the next day.
      Back in college majored in Computer Science before PCs, so we would go to lab when terminals were available and work all night. Remember getting out of class on Friday afternoon and not waking up until sometime Saturday afternoon as my body tired to catch up. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Once after a fraternity brown mule party I woke up the following afternoon in the walk in closet in my bedroom. Brown mule party is when everyone brings a bottle of wine or liquor and a mixer and it's all dumped into a big cooler with fruit.
      The funniest part was apparently I thought I had gone into the bathroom as I found out after I woke up that I had peed in the corner of the closet. lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference