Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Ill-prepared Mass. hiker rescued from Mt. Moosilauke

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ill-prepared Mass. hiker rescued from Mt. Moosilauke

FRONTPAGEMarch 23. 2015 11:32AMIll-prepared Mass. hiker rescued from Mt. Moosilauke

WARREN — Statee Fish and Game officials say a Belmont, Mass. woman is lucky she did not suffer more serious injuries after hiking Mount Moosilauke in 11-degree weather without necessary gear, including extra clothing and appropriate footwear.

Officials said about 4:30 p.m. Sunday, about three hours after she and five others set out to hike the mountain, Shengyang Wang, 25, began experiencing signs of exhaustion, dehydration and hypothermia near the South Peak of Mount Moosilauke.

The group stopped and tried to help her but, as a whole, the hikers were ill prepared for the conditions and did not have the appropriate resources, according to Fish and Game officials.Unable to get Wang warm, the hikers called 911. They were advised to continue to help Wang downhill so that her condition did not become more serious. In the meantime, conservation officers began coordinating a rescue effort.

They made contact with the group near Glencliff Trailhead about 6:35 p.m. At that time, Wang said she was very cold and had lost most of the feeling in her lower extremities, a result of not wearing suitable footwear, officials said.

She was provided with warm fluids and eventually placed inside a warm vehicle. Warren-Wentworth Ambulance took her to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth.One hiker told officials they left the Glencliff Trail at 1:30 p.m. with plans to hike to the summit of South Peak. They did not bring any extra clothing, light sources or first aid equipment.

Only one member of the group had ever hiked in New Hampshire's White Mountains in the winter."Ms. Wang was the least prepared of the group as she was not wearing any of the necessary winter gear to stay warm and dry in subzero temperatures. The temperature at the trailhead was approximately 11 degrees; however, that temperature did not account for the windchill and the area did have sustained winds most of the day. Due to the fact that none of the hikers had appropriate hiking gear for a winter hike they were all very fortunate – Ms. Wang was certainly lucky to get out of that situation without significant injury," said Fish and Game Conservation Officer Robert Mancini.

Fish and Game officials urge people to remember to pack appropriate clothing and equipment while hiking. Hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather is unpredictable. Having appropriate gear aids in safety.

For information on the recommended equipment visit hikesafe.com .

newhampshire.com/apps/pbcs.dll…/NEWHAMPSHIRE03/150329725
      its all good
    • I was on Mt Moosilauke on July 5th last year and needed all the clothes in my pack. They were getting the tail end of a hurricane that day, it was about 35 degrees with wind gusts to 70 MPH. I was using my trekking poles just to stay upright enough to get across the top. I was never so happy to get back to the treeline without breaking an ankle from getting slammed around by the wind. After crawling over the Kinsmen the next day I went home. I decided to rehike the south this year instead of doing the last 373 miles of the north. Not safe to hike alone.
    • I've been caught in full-on whiteout - nearly a foot of snow in a few hours - on Moosilauke. In June. I wouldn't attempt it this time of year without a favorable weather forecast and a full winter kit. This late in the season, above the treeline is going to be pretty hard packed, so I might make a last-minute decision to leave the snowshoes in the car if there's little or no snow at the lower elevations, but I'm much more likely to get nervous and lash them on my pack anyway. In no case would I go up Moosilauke in March without crampons and ice axe.

That said, I'm not joining the chorus of people hollering that she should be made to pay and pay for the cost of her rescue. I've made stupid mistakes in the past, and no doubt will again. And as a sometime SAR volunteer, I'd be pretty annoyed to learn that the state was charging for my services, when I had to pay out of my own pocket for my time, my gear, and even my training. All the state paid for was liability insurance, and even that had enough limitations that it basically didn't cover anything. (No coverage for motor vehicle accidents during a mission. No coverage against personal injuries claimed by the subject. Basically, the only sort of thing that it looked as if it would cover was some freakish thing like me slipping and falling on someone else.) Boy, that must have cost the taxpayers a TON.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.