Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Teaching 5th graders about the AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Teaching 5th graders about the AT

Forty-six school days from the finish line, I'm ready to teach my students something fun rather than teaching to the damn test coming up next month. Alas, for about 20 more school days, it's a rush to teach the test. So tired of hearing that.

Anyway, as soon as testing is over and it's public knowledge that I'm not going back to my school next year and hope to spend a lengthy time period on the AT, I'm going to let my kids research the trail! I'll tie it into science by having them research the topography, geography, common plant and animals, etc. My hope is, if this does end up being my last year in the classroom, this project will leave a lasting spark of curiosity in one or two kids' minds, and maybe, just maybe, a child will fall in love with the trail and hike it one day.

I'm going to be on the search for good videos or websites that I could use that are kid-friendly to teach the AT....absolutely anything about it!
      If you stumble across a resource, can you post the link here? Thanks! :D
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Budget crap doesn't allow for that, though we are going to Camp Wahsega which, I learned in studying my AT guide last night, is in the path of the AT. :D :D

if you don't know already, you'll learn one of the ways to get to cooper gap (at camp merrill instead of turning left to the camp w you turn right and the forest service road will take you right to cooper).
      2,000 miler
    • Consider posting an online journal of your TH and providing the link to your students at the EOY. Though depending upon grade level, you'll have to keep the writing appropriate. Additionally you may want to send periodic postcards to the school librarian or teacher friend so they can share with returning students in the fall.

A variety of factors have driven me to set a goal of TH the AT, but one was hearing one of my HS teachers share her AT experience through photos and student questions during classroom free time.

A co-teacher of mine once had her geography class research a bicycle route across the U.S. She completed the route the following summer and became an inspiration for her students.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC