Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Overnight at Matts Creek Shelter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Overnight at Matts Creek Shelter

My legs were still sore from my overnight at the Priest, so I looked for the easiest hike in the area. I parked off US 501 by the James River and walked 2.2 miles to the Matts Creek Shelter. It was a climb of only 200 feet of elevation. I saw one person tenting along the creek, 1/8 mile before the shelter. There was a strong smell of mildew at the shelter. I swept the shelter before setting my gear inside. I fetched water from the creek, a few steps away from the picnic table. I boiled 4 cups in my kettle, using the same alcohol stove I used near Springer and at the Priest. I used my new pot supports described in the Alcohol Stove thread. I fell asleep to the sound of the creek. In the morning, the sound made me aware of my need to empty my bladder. I boiled another 4 cups of water for oatmeal and hot chocolate. I ate, drank, and packed up. I took the Matts Creek Trail to US 501, and walked back to my car along US 501. My morning route was the old AT. I saw a few faded white blazes, but most blazes were dark blue. The Matts Creek Trail has some nice views of the mountains, the James River, and the dam that I did not see along the current AT. One could dry camp along the Matts Creek Trail and enjoy good views. Camping is not allowed along the AT where it follows the James River.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

My legs were still sore from my overnight at the Priest, so I looked for the easiest hike in the area. I parked off US 501 by the James River and walked 2.2 miles to the Matts Creek Shelter. It was a climb of only 200 feet of elevation. I saw one person tenting along the creek, 1/8 mile before the shelter. There was a strong smell of mildew at the shelter. I swept the shelter before setting my gear inside. I fetched water from the creek, a few steps away from the picnic table. I boiled 4 cups in my kettle, using the same alcohol stove I used near Springer and at the Priest. I used my new pot supports described in the Alcohol Stove thread. I fell asleep to the sound of the creek. In the morning, the sound made me aware of my need to empty my bladder. I boiled another 4 cups of water for oatmeal and hot chocolate. I ate, drank, and packed up. I took the Matts Creek Trail to US 501, and walked back to my car along US 501. My morning route was the old AT. I saw a few faded white blazes, but most blazes were dark blue. The Matts Creek Trail has some nice views of the mountains, the James River, and the dam that I did not see along the current AT. One could dry camp along the Matts Creek Trail and enjoy good views. Camping is not allowed along the AT where it follows the James River.

That mildew smell was probably from my feet from when I was there over a year ago, only time my feet have ever been wet so long I was worried about jungle rot, washed my socks and shoes and feet in the creek...hope no one drank the water and died down stream.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • To more fully answer your question TJ:

I chose my hikes at the approach trail, the Priest, and Cow Camp Shelter for the challenge of the elevation change. Also, I had never done the approach trail. I chose my hikes to Cow Camp and Thunder Hill shelters for the side trails. I hiked to Matts Creek Shelter because I was in pain and did not want to walk very far, but enjoyed the side trail (Matts Creek Trail) the next day. I took the road walk back from Hog Camp Gap for variety and to toughen up my feet.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does