Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

First aid videos or websites?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• First aid videos or websites?

I'm looking for good videos that demonstrate common first aid knowledge one might need to take care of him/herself on the trail.
      Youtubing "Wilderness First Aid" brings up a lot of random things about what to do if someone gets seriously hurt. I really would like to start with how to treat the basics when/if they happen to me. Anyone know of any good videos or websites? Thanks!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • A few years ago, the American Red Cross had first aid info on their website. It was good, basic info in easy to read format. I'm not sure if it's still online.

also, I would search for Boy Scout first aid pamphlets or some such, the Boy Scouts always have good stuff.

(You know that game, if you were stranded on a desert island which book would you want? My answer was always the Boy Scout manual. 2nd would be the complete works of William Shakespeare)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I was hoping someone else would jump in Twistwrist - I am unaware if anyone searches videos as much as I do, and I think I have been down this path before in my interests and got nowhere. Here is my thoughts, There may be lots of video available about what to take in a kit, and very little about what to do when you need it, That takes a course or NOLS book.

But take a moment and ponder this.

As a young buck I hiked a BS first aid kit for hundreds of miles and never used it once. The sprain support which isn't part of the kit combined with a cold stream is priceless. One day I opened it up and much of what was in there was just covered in grime and old glue. It was worn out from disuse and hot cars and long trips.

I doubt many here actually still carry this "ten essential" kit. Today I have modified it I have a new one, part store bought and the rest I added. I started with a kit, yanked the cheap band-aids out, put two blister covers in. Added one clot pak and several safety pak Imodium pills and some iodine and chaff medicines. I carry an inhaler and some Benadryl to help me sleep. That's it. On longer hikes I add a compression bandage. On the last sprain I hiked the three miles back out with nothing....and paid for it for three months.

Found it... Try this...CLICK
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• others can chime in here, but I think the most common medical situations you might encounter on the trail are sprains, abrasions, burns, cuts, nausea and vomiting, hyper/hypo thermia, allergic reactions, and angina/heart attack.

i carry meds for allergic reactions, N&V, and heart attack.

(I met two section hikers once who became good friends when one had an allergic reaction to a bee sting. The other one took care of him all night until they got medical help)
    • I did do a quick google yesterday, but mostly came up with more advanced more serious emergency care.
      Then I read TJs post and will absolutely agree. The Scout handbook has great first aid, even better, the Fieldbook.

The most important skill in first aid is your bedside manner! Stay calm, treating yourself and another person.

You have a situation........STOP the bleeding......CLEAR the airway.........TREAT for shock............

when those things are taken care of....you can freak out, or pass out :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Treating for shock is probably one of the most easiest things one can do, and in our business shock is a reality with the types of injuries we'll have, as the number one killers amongst hikers is falls. A broken leg wont likely kill you, but shock will...learn how to prevent it. I carry a space blanket, it's multi use...ground sheet, emergency shelter for someone else, can be used to treat someone with shock.

...and weighs very little.
    • I have to get 30 hrs CEU every two years to maintain my license and a couple years back our local chapter put on an 8 hr seminar on Wilderness First Aid. It was really quite well done as the Ladies researched ahead of time and geared the course to what we would most likely encounter while surveying. I don't recall their being any online videos during the course, but I will say that the Pretty Miss TrafficWreck is spot on :thumbup:

Funny sidebar (because I do so love a funny sidebar): Years back I surveyed with a guy who was deathly allergic to bee stings.Every month he had to renew his epi-pen and I stayed on him to let me jam him in the thigh with an old one he had left over to prove to him that I would be there for him if he needed me to jam him in the thigh. You know, in case he was all anaphylactic and shyatt and needed me to jab him in the thigh. He never saw the light and let me get the necessary practice, I guess he just wanted to die if he ever got stung by bees; which we encounter quite often.

One night I had a dream that he and I were surveying a piece of property and he was several hundred feet away when I saw him break out in the yellow jacket shuffle. Sensing my oppor-----I mean his need for my help I sprung into action and covered the ground between us like a man possessed. When I got there he already had an epi-pen hanging out of his thigh. I cussed his selfish ass for all he was worth and stormed away. When I got back to the truck I awoke pissed off.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • I pulled a first aid booklet out of a hiker box and kept it. It came in handy when I burned my thumb. I read first aid literature if I find it at a hostel.

When I was stung by a yellow jacket north of Fontana Dam, I said something that would have offended Bird Brain. I hope the Unitarian a few steps in front of me was not too offended.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Knowledge is more important than a well -stocked first aid kit.

Exactly! The knowledge is what I'm looking for. I'll check out the Boy Scout manuals. What a great idea!

Thanks all for the replies. Checking out the youtube link now WiseOldOwl. Appreciate everyone's help!

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Knowledge is more important than a well -stocked first aid kit.

Exactly! The knowledge is what I'm looking for. I'll check out the Boy Scout manuals. What a great idea!

Thanks all for the replies. Checking out the youtube link now WiseOldOwl. Appreciate everyone's help!

Hense the Nols books and video's take it from a BS, Nols is a step above.
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

TJ said:
      4 x 81mg tabs of Aspirin. It's better if they are chewed rather than swallowed whole.

Always be cautious, some people are allergic to aspirin

Powdered aspirin is also available - absorbed faster then tablets, easier then having the victim chew tabs.

amazon.com/UrgentRx-Critical-A…-Lemon-Lime/dp/B00AFGHSFO

I always carry a few BC powders, it's the only thing that will cure a head ache for me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • twistwrist wrote:

I'm looking for good videos that demonstrate common first aid knowledge one might need to take care of him/herself on the trail.
      Youtubing "Wilderness First Aid" brings up a lot of random things about what to do if someone gets seriously hurt. I really would like to start with how to treat the basics when/if they happen to me. Anyone know of any good videos or websites? Thanks!
      So a follow up - how did this work out for you?
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

I'd forgotten about BC Powders. They're aspirin and caffeine. And they're WAY cheaper than the stuff I listed from Amazon - about $8.00 for 50 vs. $7.00 for 12 via Amazon.
      Under 6 bucks at Walmart. I'm with Drybones on these. BC's are a Southern staple. In every mom, pop, convenience store anywhere you go. You'll be lucky to find them up North. Knock the crap out of a headache. most of the time in 5 minutes or so.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

I'd forgotten about BC Powders. They're aspirin and caffeine. And they're WAY cheaper than the stuff I listed from Amazon - about $8.00 for 50 vs. $7.00 for 12 via Amazon.
      Under 6 bucks at Walmart. I'm with Drybones on these. BC's are a Southern staple. In every mom, pop, convenience store anywhere you go. You'll be lucky to find them up North. Knock the crap out of a headache. most of the time in 5 minutes or so.
      blech, I despise BC powder. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

blech, I despise BC powder. :)
      You might need to use a chaser. I can do 'em dry. If I remember right, beers work good. :D
    • milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

blech, I despise BC powder. :) You might need to use a chaser. I can do 'em dry. If I remember right, beers work good. :D

Wash them down with a bourbon and coke mixed half and half, I guarantee the headache will be gone in less than five minutes....and I don't like coke, but it works.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • One of my favorite concoctions is 2 BC's and 2 Alka Seltzer Plus tabs in a little water. Wait until the tabs quit fizzing then throw it down. You will need to rinse the glass with a little more water and repeat. Maybe even a 3rd time if you practice LNT. Now only will it kill a hangover it will get you zoomin'. I believe an ultra-lighter could substitute this in the morning in place of Nido, CIB and coffee.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

I learned that I learn a helluva lot more from just reading y'alls experiences than I do searching youtube. :P

I watched a few videos, but I had to do pretty specific searches like, "how to treat a blister" rather than "wilderness first aid". I didn't find any treasures to post.
      I did read some Boy Scouts first aid stuff as TJ suggested.

• twistwrist wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

I learned that I learn a helluva lot more from just reading y'alls experiences than I do searching youtube. :P
      I watched a few videos, but I had to do pretty specific searches like, "how to treat a blister" rather than "wilderness first aid". I didn't find any treasures to post.
      I did read some Boy Scouts first aid stuff as TJ suggested.
      Yea I have to give this some thought... The BSA has an annual rally or Olympics to promote First Aid skills. I did so many... as a teen and an adult judge. maybe just buy the books from approved sources.