Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ATC 5 year strategic plan

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ATC 5 year strategic plan

ATC staff celebrate the organization's 90th//Harpers Ferry, West Virginia//Photo by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy//Text by Anne Baker, marketing assistant

Today, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) turned 90. That means we’ve been around since the first issue of the New Yorker was published, the first film was shown on an airplane, and when the record temperature low was recorded in Maine (-48 degrees in Van Buren). We’ve seen a lot during our 90 years, including millions of other firsts.

But we like to think that we’re unique, and that our birthday is worth remembering. We’ve come a long way since that day in 1925 when Benton MacKaye and his team sat down to determine how to get the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) on the ground from Georgia to Maine. Yet throughout the years, the heart of the organization has remained the same: to protect and maintain an approximate 2,180-mile long footpath that is, to so many, a place of dreams, hopes and life-changing discovery.

If we had a guest list for a birthday party, it would be thousands of names long. The ATC isn’t made up of just staff, after all—it’s a volunteer-based organization that you choose to be a part of. Last year, for example, close to 6,000 volunteers helped keep the A.T. in top shape. That’s an extraordinary number, and that doesn’t even include our members, community supporters, agencies and corporate partners who have provided the funds necessary to support our work. We accomplish what we do thanks to you.

Because we’re an organization that relies so heavily on community support, we want the public to help us celebrate this year. We want everyone to get excited about who we are and what we do so we can not only relive our experiences along the A.T. together, but look ahead to what’s in store for the future.

And that whole “future” thing is key, especially because this year we began implementing a new Strategic Plan that will guide our organization through 2019. The plan will build on our successes, driving us to embrace initiatives that include managing and protecting the A.T. and surrounding landscapes; involving more young and diverse people with the Trail and volunteer work; and strengthening and expanding the ATC’s network of partners as well as our organizational capacity so that we have the resources to achieve all of our goals.

It’s a bold plan, but we believe that by the time someone turns 90, they’ve earned their right to take a few risks here and there.

Happy birthday, ATC.

"Since its conception, those who have worked on the planning and building of the Appalachian Trail have taken on the task undauntedly, with the energy, intellect, and drive. Just as the complexity of constructing this unusual stretch of recreational land required a capacity to visualize and a strategy to constantly move forward, so does its current and future protection, maintenance, and promotion.

The plan is based on the solid foundation of success the ATC has had for almost 90 years in helping to build the original A.T. ; in improving the route, the treadway and overall maintenance; and in leading the critical effort to provide permanent protection to the Trail corridor.

It's about building out toward success and a bright future so that all of the Trail’s visitors can enjoy it at multiple levels. It's about embracing new initiatives, including protecting the landscape surrounding the Trail, involving more young and diverse people in hiking on the A.T. and becoming active Trail volunteers; and in strengthening and expanding the ATC’s network of both governmental and non-governmental partners. It's about increasing funding from major donors, foundations, membership, and other private sources so that we have the resources to make significant progress during the next five years to achieve the goals of the plan.

Below are our 5 key goals and strategies."
      appalachiantrail.org/who-we-ar…ion-values/strategic-plan
      its all good
    • Not just a plan but a strategic one.
      From my experience this means that they have a plan for a variety of strategies, but they have no idea which one they will go with. Experience also suggests they will go with the wrong one.
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I personally think Myron Avery deserves a lot more credit than Benton MacKaye. MacKaye had an idea, but Avery did all of the work and made it a reality! As Thomas Edison said "Vision without Execution is just an Hallucination".

I believe our history is a little distorted because Avery died young, and then MacKaye suddenly came back in the picture (after all the work was done) and lived a long (and vocal) life.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Foresight wrote:

Jeff Shaffer.

Well done but I think it's Geoff. One of our huts is named after him although as he might say "I'm not dead yet".
      He is quoted with both spellings of his first name so I presume you got a source with that spelling.
      I find the similarity of surname with Earl Schafer a bit confusing myself.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Actually I just googled the "track", read a bit of the history on the website dedicated to it and then changed the spelling of his first AND last name to throw you off by leading you to believe that I had overheard his name in conversation and spelled it phonetically :thumbup:
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Astro wrote:

I personally think Myron Avery deserves a lot more credit than Benton MacKaye. MacKaye had an idea, but Avery did all of the work and made it a reality! As Thomas Edison said "Vision without Execution is just an Hallucination".

And a whole lot of others. The first section of actual new trail (for much of its route, the A-T follows older trails) was blazed by Raymond Torrey. William Welch put up a lot of money to get the effort kicked off. Arthur Perkins was chairman of ATC while the building happened. Nestell "Ned" Anderson supervised a big slug of the New England effort, and Frank Schairer headed up the blazing for both the Hundred Mile Wilderness and the Shenandoah section. Jean Stephenson wrote the first A-T guidebook. These individuals, in particular, are all unsung relative to Avery and MacKaye, but were the dedicated "boots on the ground" people that made it happen.

We also can't neglect the heroic efforts of such figures as Ed Garvey and David Richie in getting the trail rebuilt after it had been neglected for years. Even after the National Trails System Act, nothing really happened until Richie took the reins.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.