Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Packable guns

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Packable guns

I had thought about putting this in the personal Heath section, but ended up going with general.

i don't want to make this a "Don't carry" thread.

I want to know light weight options. Weight being the major factor.

I need something lighter than what I carry now. (A cheap 9mm). ..

Any ideas?
    • I don't have a great answer just yet. Both he Ruger LCP .380 and the S&W airlite/featherlite hammerless .38sp fit nicely into the hip pocket of a ULA circuit. Honestly the .380 round is a bit underpowered for what I'd want in the middle of the woods. The S&W revolvers have a lot of pluses, but are 5 round revolvers with a very heavy trigger.

I'm thinking of checking out the Ruger LC9, which I've tried at the range before, but I think that would require attaching a new holster or case to my pack hip belt. I've thought about adding on a larger neoprene case designed for a camera, would be a good way to conceal without looking obvious.

You Can always do what my buddy in Georgia does and just open carry a .40 cal Glock. I told him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. I will admit that it did a great job of keeping the hippies and the stoners from coming anywhere near us. I'll consider that a win.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • On the subject of weight you can also get ultralight ammunition (I kid you not). It really reduced the weight that my buddy was carrying with his glock.

libertyammunition.com/product/civil-defense-40-sw
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Lol, I have a couple of friends that open carry too .. I usually feel odd going down the trail with them. But when we do the trail is just a way for us to get to the deep woods, for mushrooms or seng. We use the tail for a couple of miles, then it's off trail. .. There's some cool places off trail ... And a great place to be armed!
    • I have less than no problem with someone carrying a weapon legally in a park. You never know when it might be used as anything from self defense to a signalling device (three shots a second apart straight up is still a call for help in most places).

I'm not a fan of Glock but they do make a smaller 9mm in a pretty much universe-proof polymer. Otherwise I'd tend to stick with a polymer gun for lighter weight and weather resistance if I were to use it as a hiking/kayak-camping security piece. I run a few Taurus 9mm's though only one is a semi-polymer and while compact it still has 17+1 and a spare mag, fits comfortably in the hand and fires very tight groups for it's size. Other nice thing? Taurus are pretty inexpensive and super simple for take-down/cleaning.

I would second that for weight/size/versatility the .40 is probably one of the best overall calibers.
    • I've been leaning towards a 380 or a 40. But without anyone to really talk to about weights, it seems overwhelming to me to keep looking up weights on each one. If I could just find a way to narrow it down, that would sure help. ... And you guys are helping. But after a quick search on the s & w their weights weren't listed easily. ... Maybe I clicked on a bad link too ... I do that a lot, lol
    • I don't know actual weights, but I have an LCP and it's small and light, the only issue is the lack of power behind the .380. I may very well trade it in soon for a 9mm, or a .38spl. The S&W are surprisingly light because they are made of lightweight alloys. Two friends have them, I have used them but never weighed them.
    • Truth be told, while I like a little more barrel, the over all length of the judge is more than I'd want to carry. the .380 is nice, light...but at this point i'm just window shoppin' with somebody else's dough, so my research is quite limited here as I'm not in the market.
    • The only thing I don't like about a lot of the S&W semi-auto's is the way they have the barrel far too high on the frame. That extra bit of leverage against your hand and the mass of the slide really pulls you away from target and kills recovery time. Not to mention it just makes for a tall pistol that seems to have the same issue that I can't stand with glocks: with all the weight up top it feels like the balance changes every shot. That's a personal issue though.

Dmax, basic suggestion is to find a few of the larger gun stores like Gander or what have you (and for heaven's sake do not BUY from Gander unless you like spending 150% compared to almost anywhere else. Get your ammo there, but not the pistol!). Tell them roughly what you are looking for and go find what feels comfortable and natural in your hand. A few ounces isn't going to be any real drama, especially if you need it, but having something that is awkward to handle, doesn't feel natural, or fits poorly in your hand could be the worst thing to happen at the time you need it most.

That said, there isn't one person on here who can recommend the perfect gun for you as your hands and shooting experience will be different from anyone else's. Start with the frame size, then go to the basic features, then what fits your hand the best and work to fine-tune it from there. The higher price isn't always the better pistol, but a lower price may not necessarily net you something you'd want to stake you and your friends lives on. (IE: some of the knock-off junk)

For trail carry I prefer a 9mm or a .40. Either has enough power to penetrate and stop people and animals. Even an aggressive bear (a very unlikely situation in reality) is not going to keep going after you when it feels the deep punctures of a few smacks of 9mm hollowpoint. This isn't the movies, this is reality. Besides, make enough noise (without the pistol) and the bear will usually run the other way. The other things might not... especially the 2-legged animals that are the mos dangerous in the wilderness.
    • For normal IWB carry I have a 1911 and a CZ P-07, but for hiking, cycling or summer time dress, I will pocket carry a Kel-Tec P32. Probably not the most ideal cartridge, but overall very lightweight and highly concealable (I am not at all worried about animals).

I have been checking out some of the Ruger sub-compacts and lightweight pistols and the S&W Shield -- smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/st…53_-1_757781_757781_image

Socks, if you like the Taurus Judge, yiu might want to check out a new revolver, the Union Boss. It never works and you can't fire it ;)
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • I have the S&W airweight 38P special with hammer and it is 15 oz. I find I can shoot a nice tight group at 50 or 60 feet. It carries well on either my ankle or waist.
      I think it packs a pretty good wallop with a defense load.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The post was edited 1 time, last by jimmyjam ().

• This is what I have. Wont say whether I carry it or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
      Taurus 738 TCP .380acp Blue 3.3" Bbl Polymer Frame
      Loaded with 6 + 1 Federal Premium 90 grain Low Recoil Hydra Shock. 12.6 oz.
      I guarantee if you empty into their face you will get their attention.
      Images
      • Charolette 001.JPG

105.82 kB, 800×600, viewed 433 times
      • Charolette 002.JPG

95.02 kB, 800×600, viewed 419 times
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

• This one. I have the 1 5/8 version. It weighs 8.05 loaded with 22 Mag hollow points.

However, if you are going to carry, you should ask yourself why you are carrying. Please, if you are carrying to scare a bear off, do not use a gun. Bear mace is an effective deterrent. A tiny gun is not. It is an immutable fact that if you do not use a gun that is large enough to drop the bear, you will only succeed in pissing the bear off. After that, all bets are off. That statement is not a statement on if a person should carry. That is completely none of my business. It is my opinion that the gun above will serve the only useful purposes of carrying on the trail in as light a way as I have seen.

I should make one more note. If I carry, I do so to put me in a position where I have an advantage if I am put in a position of danger where there is absolutely no other option. Other weapons will gain me a better advantage, but at the cost of weight. I don't need a huge advantage. I just want the upper hand if I need it. I do not care how big the person is. One shot to body mass and I now have the advantage. Others might need more power to gain an advantage. This is enough for me.

Sorry for all the edits. I am being careful to not say something stupid. That can be difficult for me and take several edits.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

The post was edited 3 times, last by BirdBrain ().

• Astro wrote:

If you were to carry, are there any places on the AT where it is considered illegal?
      Not that it is technically illegal, but it's basically impossible to get permits to carry on the whole trail unless you're a police officer or LEO.

Here is a very good quick reference for permits and reciprocity:

usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

If you were to carry, are there any places on the AT where it is considered illegal?
      Not that it is technically illegal, but it's basically impossible to get permits to carry on the whole trail unless you're a police officer or LEO.

Here is a very good quick reference for permits and reciprocity:

usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Thanks Elf
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • On a related note, the US house and senate both have proposed legislation that would mandate that states give reciprocity and honor carry permits from other states. This has a decent chance of passing and would basically make it legal to carry on the whole A.T.

Edit: Here is some info about the bills:

nraila.org/articles/20150220/c…lation-in-the-us-congress
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

For normal IWB carry I have a 1911 and a CZ P-07, but for hiking, cycling or summer time dress, I will pocket carry a Kel-Tec P32. Probably not the most ideal cartridge, but overall very lightweight and highly concealable (I am not at all worried about animals).

I have been checking out some of the Ruger sub-compacts and lightweight pistols and the S&W Shield -- smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/st…53_-1_757781_757781_image

Socks, if you like the Taurus Judge, yiu might want to check out a new revolver, the Union Boss. It never works and you can't fire it ;)
      ha ha I use to have one of those, piece a Shyte no good rusty ole bum.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

This one. I have the 1 5/8 version. It weighs 8.05 loaded with 22 Mag hollow points.

However, if you are going to carry, you should ask yourself why you are carrying. Please, if you are carrying to scare a bear off, do not use a gun. Bear mace is an effective deterrent. A tiny gun is not. It is an immutable fact that if you do not use a gun that is large enough to drop the bear, you will only succeed in pissing the bear off. After that, all bets are off. That statement is not a statement on if a person should carry. That is completely none of my business. It is my opinion that the gun above will serve the only useful purposes of carrying on the trail in as light a way as I have seen.

I should make one more note. If I carry, I do so to put me in a position where I have an advantage if I am put in a position of danger where there is absolutely no other option. Other weapons will gain me a better advantage, but at the cost of weight. I don't need a huge advantage. I just want the upper hand if I need it. I do not care how big the person is. One shot to body mass and I now have the advantage. Others might need more power to gain an advantage. This is enough for me.

I don't believe anyone is discussing LCP for bears... but OK

I watched the video very carefully and the concept of the firearm and safety features were interesting. I am struggling with the loading and dont understand the draw and pull out the handle to get to the trigger.... I am thinking this is too small.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I don't know actual weights, but I have an LCP and it's small and light, the only issue is the lack of power behind the .380. I may very well trade it in soon for a 9mm, or a .38spl. The S&W are surprisingly light because they are made of lightweight alloys. Two friends have them, I have used them but never weighed them.

You can trade in guns?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

I watched the video very carefully and the concept of the firearm and safety features were interesting. I am struggling with the loading and dont understand the draw and pull out the handle to get to the trigger.... I am thinking this is too small.

Neither was I. I have a NAA-22MC-HG. Rugar makes the LCP.
      Nothing I can type will explain the operational features better than the video.
      Too small for what? This is a preference issue, just like carrying a Jetboil or a 7 gram eCHS.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I don't know actual weights, but I have an LCP and it's small and light, the only issue is the lack of power behind the .380. I may very well trade it in soon for a 9mm, or a .38spl. The S&W are surprisingly light because they are made of lightweight alloys. Two friends have them, I have used them but never weighed them.

You can trade in guns?

Absolutely, I shop at a small store that does new and used. He'll gladly give me store credit if I sell him one gun and then buy another.
    • To he clear, I am certainly not talking about carrying a .380 for defense from bears. If bears were a concern, I'd have this with me...
      Images
      • image.jpg

109.8 kB, 800×600, viewed 411 times
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

To he clear, I am certainly not talking about carrying a .380 for defense from bears. If bears were a concern, I'd have this with me...

Too be clear, it is none of my business if anyone carries or why they may or may not carry. I hold no strong opinions on the subject other than that one should educate themselves and be safe. However, I agree with your assessment.
    • Dmax wrote:

Lol, I have a couple of friends that open carry too .. I usually feel odd going down the trail with them. But when we do the trail is just a way for us to get to the deep woods, for mushrooms or seng. We use the tail for a couple of miles, then it's off trail. .. There's some cool places off trail ... And a great place to be armed!

The trail is the least likely place you'll need it. A friend said something that made sense, "a small gun you will carry is worth more than a big gun you leave at home". I have a Bersa .380 that's a ggod conceal weapon, although I rarely carry it except in the truck, recently bought a CZ 9mm I like a lot if I ever decide to open carry.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Dmax wrote:

I've been leaning towards a 380 or a 40. But without anyone to really talk to about weights, it seems overwhelming to me to keep looking up weights on each one. If I could just find a way to narrow it down, that would sure help. ... And you guys are helping. But after a quick search on the s & w their weights weren't listed easily. ... Maybe I clicked on a bad link too ... I do that a lot, lol

I bought a Glock 23 40-cal with the intent of carrying. It's pretty compact for a 40-cal but still too much for me to carry, the .380 Bersa is almost unnoticeable when I carry it. Granted the 40-cal has much more stopping power but it's not much use sitting in the night stand at home cause it's too heavy to carry.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Neither was I. I have a NAA-22MC-HG. Rugar makes the LCP.
      Nothing I can type will explain the operational features better than the video.
      Too small for what? This is a preference issue, just like carrying a Jetboil or a 7 gram eCHS.

OK you flip it out like a knife to open, Nice! But when loading your fingers get right in front of the barrel to insert the pin. You have to cock it each shot? I am on my fourth video on this and found this..... would you say your experiences is better than this guy?

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

To he clear, I am certainly not talking about carrying a .380 for defense from bears. If bears were a concern, I'd have this with me...

Which piece do you hit him with?

That depends on whether or not the bayonet is mounted. 8o

Fortunately after 45 min of trying and a couple of youtube instructional videos I am happy to report that it is all back together.