Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

McCandless

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hmm interesting..

Lets keep in mind the autopsy did not find alkaloids and this is just (YET) another theory... I will stick with stupidity and starvation. Another educated bright bulb had a bad element. I am sure he was a wonderful great guy in person. Yes I read the book saw the movie. Read some more... I am surprised at Krakauer's interest in this.

Cause of death
      In Into the Wild, Krakauer suggested two factors may have contributed to McCandless's death. First, he offered that McCandless was
      running the risk of a phenomenon known as "rabbit starvation" due to increased activity, compared with the leanness of the game he was hunting.[13] Krakauer also speculated that McCandless might have been poisoned by a toxic alkaloid called swainsonine, by ingesting seeds (Hedysarum alpinum or Hedysarum mackenzii) containing the toxin, or maybe by a mold that grows on them (Rhizoctonia leguminicola). Swainsonine inhibits metabolism of glycoproteins, which causes starvation despite ample caloric intake.[14]

However, an article in Men's Journal stated that extensive laboratory testing showed there were no toxins or alkaloids present in the H. alpinum seeds McCandless had been eating. Dr. Thomas Clausen, the chair of the chemistry and biochemistry department at UAF said "I tore that plant apart. There were no toxins. No alkaloids. I'd eat it myself."[15] Analysis of the wild sweet peas, given as the cause of Chris's death in Sean Penn's film, turned up no toxic compounds and there is not a single account in modern medical literature of anyone being poisoned by this species of plant.[10]

As one journalist put it: "He didn't find a way out of the bush, couldn't catch enough food to survive, and simply starved to death."[15]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • And regardless if he died eating a plant that could contain a "compound that is known occasionally to be poisonous to humans" , he was far from prepared to survive out where he was. An inexperienced hunter and survivalist that as smart as he was , was too stubborn to heed the warnings that he was given.
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

And regardless if he died eating a plant that could contain a "compound that is known occasionally to be poisonous to humans" , he was far from prepared to survive out where he was. An inexperienced hunter and survivalist that as smart as he was , was too stubborn to heed the warnings that he was given.

Great incite on his endeavors.

I am on a fence that this is nothing new... Prospectors flooded the region and a few survived to tell the tale of rabbit fever in the 1800's from the Klondike Gold rush there are times when there are a few animals to eat and then there are none. - FOR MONTHS.

[IMG:http://cf-resrc.outsideonline.com/C=W100P,H99.89615784008308P/S=W856,U/O=90,P/http://media.outsideonline.com/images/into-the-wild-potato_h.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• WiseOldOwl wrote:

Hmm interesting..

Lets keep in mind the autopsy did not find alkaloids and this is just (YET) another theory... I will stick with stupidity and starvation. Another educated bright bulb had a bad element. I am sure he was a wonderful great guy in person. Yes I read the book saw the movie. Read some more... I am surprised at Krakauer's interest in this.

Cause of death
      In Into the Wild, Krakauer suggested two factors may have contributed to McCandless's death. First, he offered that McCandless was
      running the risk of a phenomenon known as "rabbit starvation" due to increased activity, compared with the leanness of the game he was hunting.[13] Krakauer also speculated that McCandless might have been poisoned by a toxic alkaloid called swainsonine, by ingesting seeds (Hedysarum alpinum or Hedysarum mackenzii) containing the toxin, or maybe by a mold that grows on them (Rhizoctonia leguminicola). Swainsonine inhibits metabolism of glycoproteins, which causes starvation despite ample caloric intake.[14]

However, an article in Men's Journal stated that extensive laboratory testing showed there were no toxins or alkaloids present in the H. alpinum seeds McCandless had been eating. Dr. Thomas Clausen, the chair of the chemistry and biochemistry department at UAF said "I tore that plant apart. There were no toxins. No alkaloids. I'd eat it myself."[15] Analysis of the wild sweet peas, given as the cause of Chris's death in Sean Penn's film, turned up no toxic compounds and there is not a single account in modern medical literature of anyone being poisoned by this species of plant.[10]

As one journalist put it: "He didn't find a way out of the bush, couldn't catch enough food to survive, and simply starved to death."[15]
      So, your interested or your not interested...interesting.

Sorry, not gonna let ya "Wag The Dog" on this one.

So why the surprise Krackauer took on this project? lemme guess...not really news, right...wrong! says millions. What would you write about? how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? oh brother :rolleyes:
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

And regardless if he died eating a plant that could contain a "compound that is known occasionally to be poisonous to humans" , he was far from prepared to survive out where he was. An inexperienced hunter and survivalist that as smart as he was , was too stubborn to heed the warnings that he was given.

Unfortunately stubbornness can override a whole lot of intelligence.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Unfortunately stubbornness can override a whole lot of intelligence.

Someone smarter than me once said..."Inaction is the ruination of man" or somethin' like that.
    • Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

My theory is that he died of invincibility. I know because I used to suffer from that.

I once thought and acted with this concept as a guiding principle. These days I'm more cautious, however I remain convinced during more than one scenario throwing caution to the winds kept several folks alive and relatively unscathed. Myself included.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC