Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wildlife Sightings Today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The dog and I go hike LBJ Grasslands. Three weeks back, they moved in 450 head of cattle onto the 8000 acre section we hike in (a very small part of it). I park by a water tank along the equestrian trails. So we are driving in and the cattle are following my truck! They then want to sniff the dog (he retreated under the truck and then snapped at one of them). Another car came by (the road dead-ends) and the cattle took off following it! We hiked and as we looped back to the truck, here come the cattle following us again. The next week? No cattle at the tank. But in the back country (forest), there they are. But this time, they take off trotting thru the forest, parallel to the trail. Mooing and such, scared of the dog. Same one last week they were wanting to be friends with. At one point the cattle flushed some deer. I have to dig in to hold 100 pounds of part-sled-dog back! That week was a banner week for dog. He then saw two more deer later in the day and a coyote in the woods. So then this last week (third week), we hike along the back country and pop out at one of the other stock tanks, to find cattle. Who are sleeping under the trees. And get up to follow us! Later in the day on the forest trail, I hear some noise behind us and turn around. We are being followed by cattle! Dog also got up close to a very large armadillo. They don't see very well. It saw or smelled us and took off running. In a circle and looped right back to us!

Dogs name is Boomer so I call all this "Adventures with Boomer".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Great thing about Spring is seeing the new life. :)
      Also saw three snakes while doing 12 miles on the Arkansas River Trail. :(
      Images
      • 20210522_101943.jpg

184.55 kB, 800×388, viewed 160 times
      • 20210522_101957.jpg

197.02 kB, 800×388, viewed 156 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Behind my house...
      My wife asked me to set up a trail camera on that bald tree. I told her it was the work of a Pileated Woodpecker, but she was convinced only a bear could strip a tree like that :) So far, all I have is dozens of squirrel photos.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Behind my house...
      My wife asked me to set up a trail camera on that bald tree. I told her it was the work of a Pileated Woodpecker, but she was convinced only a bear could strip a tree like that :) So far, all I have is dozens of squirrel photos.
      When my younger brother was a boy our neighbor was upset because he shot a woodpecker with his BB gun.
      My dad did not have a problem with it. He said the neighbor has an all brick house, but part of our house on the outside is cedar. :)
    • Was listening to a rodent
      gnaw on a shelter one night a few weeks back. It was just me in the shelter so I shine in my light up there to see what it was, expecting the usual shelter mouse.

It was a flying squirrel. Kind of cute. Gnawing wood peg down to nub. Majority of the wood pegs for hanging packs etc were gnawed down to nubs.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• i went up to Harriman state park yesterday to day hike, and it was a picture perfect day.
      I didn't see much wildlife, just a deer, but on my drive home, spotted a bald eagle not far from where I live on Long Island. I understand there is a nesting pair that have taken up residence in a nearby park. We get plenty of Osprey and Red Tail Hawks, but Eagles are pretty rare.
      its all good
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

This stick bug really wanted a hitch to someplace. I removed him twice from my pack.
      Oh, he is a beauty. I have not seen one in years.
      Saw this one yesterday.
      Since we are talking stick bugs, have you heard of the Lord Howe Island Stick Insect? No I have not seen one, as they only lived on Lord Howe Island (a small island between Australia and New Zealand) and were thought to be extinct when the last one died off (due to a rat infestation on the island). But remarkably, a small population of a few insects were found found a few years ago living near the top of Ball's Pyramid, a near vertical rock stack, sticking out of the ocean about 20 km SE of the island. A captive breeding program was established in zoos and now a program is in place to get rid of the rats on the Island and reestablish the stick insect.

• This sounds crazy, but when I play my violin, I notice there are more birds on my deck, as if they’re coming to listen.

Yesterday, I was playing in the park and watched a hawk as it flew towards me. I followed it with my eyes until it was directly overhead, continuing to play, and I swear she looked down at me.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Rented a condo for a week in Orange Beach, AL. So this is the kind of wildlife I have been seeing on my morning walks.
      Images
      • 20220308_091918.jpg

27.22 kB, 600×291, viewed 90 times
      • 20220307_131147.jpg

69.56 kB, 800×388, viewed 91 times
      • 20220308_093113.jpg

55.86 kB, 800×388, viewed 86 times
    • No grilling for me! A pair of Rufous-Sided Towhee’s have moved into my grill.

I first noticed them when the male flew into the back door several mornings in a row and the pair flew out of the grill when I took the dog outside. They’re usually shy birds who nest on the ground.

Twice I’ve peeked into the grill. The first time when I discovered the nest and this morning. I couldn’t help it but it’ll be the last time. Papa was on the fence, whistling a warning to mama when I went outside and mama flew out of the grill when I opened it, trying to lure me away.
      Images
      • 4D6FFCD2-2484-45B3-A8B6-791DCDCCDEB3.jpeg

324.23 kB, 800×579, viewed 77 times
      • A26046EE-84AA-4218-9516-172A27F52111.jpeg

170.98 kB, 491×600, viewed 74 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • After backing out of my garage this morning, I see this bad boy up by the garage door. I came within a couple of feet of running over it. Since he was right up by the house, i would never had seen him if he had crawled a couple of feet further. I used a snow shovel to evict him to the drainage ditch that runs across the back of our lot. He was not happy. I've seen these back there before, but never up front on the driveway. We heard the Corgi barking this morning. Usually it's just at the neighbor dogs, but today it was probably this. We are lucky he didn't lose a nose. Size 12 Cascadia in the picture for scale.

• Wild Mountain Goat in the McGillicuddy Reeks.

We are staying near a town called Killorglin. This is where they have the 'Puck Fair' every year. They catch a wild mountain goat and put him on a pedestal that towers above the town square. For one weekend the goat is crowned 'The King of Ireland.'

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Finishing up on my Ireland trip, I present to you Puffins.

I visited Skellig Michel off the coast of Kerry to see the monastic ruins. What I did not know until I got there was that June is 'Puffin season.' For eleven months of the year the puffins live at sea. In June they nest and fledge their young in burrows on Skellig Michael. It was one of the most magical things I have ever experienced. Here are some photos...

I tried hard to get a photo of a Puffin in flight. The little butterballs were too fast for me. This is the best I could do :(

And the above is the photo from the trip I am most proud off. The Puffin had just landed with a mouth full of Sand Eels to feed its young. Closest I have ever come to shooting a 'National Geographic' moment.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Went for a 5.5 mile walk yesterday. The trail starts on a long wooden staircase going up and down a dune and ends at a secluded beach. As walking on the stairs, i saw a small fox dart under the wooden boardwalk right below me. It was only a few feet away but I just got a quick glimpse of it before it disappeared under the deck so i couldn'tget a pic. I don't remember the last i saw a fox.

• odd man out wrote:

Went for a 5.5 mile walk yesterday. The trail starts on a long wooden staircase going up and down a dune and ends at a secluded beach. As walking on the stairs, i saw a small fox dart under the wooden boardwalk right below me. It was only a few feet away but I just got a quick glimpse of it before it disappeared under the deck so i couldn't get a pic. I don't remember the last i saw a fox.

Some of my fondest hunting memories are of the animals I observed when they had no idea the camo 'lump' was a predator. Deer playing, a fox walking by my stand, a coyote trotting by...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard