Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wildlife Sightings Today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The dog and I go hike LBJ Grasslands. Three weeks back, they moved in 450 head of cattle onto the 8000 acre section we hike in (a very small part of it). I park by a water tank along the equestrian trails. So we are driving in and the cattle are following my truck! They then want to sniff the dog (he retreated under the truck and then snapped at one of them). Another car came by (the road dead-ends) and the cattle took off following it! We hiked and as we looped back to the truck, here come the cattle following us again. The next week? No cattle at the tank. But in the back country (forest), there they are. But this time, they take off trotting thru the forest, parallel to the trail. Mooing and such, scared of the dog. Same one last week they were wanting to be friends with. At one point the cattle flushed some deer. I have to dig in to hold 100 pounds of part-sled-dog back! That week was a banner week for dog. He then saw two more deer later in the day and a coyote in the woods. So then this last week (third week), we hike along the back country and pop out at one of the other stock tanks, to find cattle. Who are sleeping under the trees. And get up to follow us! Later in the day on the forest trail, I hear some noise behind us and turn around. We are being followed by cattle! Dog also got up close to a very large armadillo. They don't see very well. It saw or smelled us and took off running. In a circle and looped right back to us!

Dogs name is Boomer so I call all this "Adventures with Boomer".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Great thing about Spring is seeing the new life. :)
      Also saw three snakes while doing 12 miles on the Arkansas River Trail. :(
      Images
      • 20210522_101943.jpg

184.55 kB, 800×388, viewed 13 times
      • 20210522_101957.jpg

197.02 kB, 800×388, viewed 13 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Behind my house...
      My wife asked me to set up a trail camera on that bald tree. I told her it was the work of a Pileated Woodpecker, but she was convinced only a bear could strip a tree like that :) So far, all I have is dozens of squirrel photos.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Behind my house...
      My wife asked me to set up a trail camera on that bald tree. I told her it was the work of a Pileated Woodpecker, but she was convinced only a bear could strip a tree like that :) So far, all I have is dozens of squirrel photos.
      When my younger brother was a boy our neighbor was upset because he shot a woodpecker with his BB gun.
      My dad did not have a problem with it. He said the neighbor has an all brick house, but part of our house on the outside is cedar. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General