Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Basketball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• More idiots...

In Boston a 21 year old threw a water bottle at Kyrie Irving. Banned for life and charged with a felony -- assault with a deadly weapon. I'm sure he'll plead out to a lessor charge to not have a felony on his record.

And in DC another fan banned for life and charges are pending when he decided to take to the court during the game.

2,000 miler
    • This is a disgrace.

You obviously can't manage a pandemic on the honor system.

<snip>

The Phoenix Suns were managing a COVID-19 outbreak as their season fell apart, multiple sources told The Athletic with six individuals — including one player — testing positive either late in the Western Conference semifinals or the day after Game 7.

With their season on the line, the Suns were destroyed at home by the Dallas Mavericks 123-90 on May 15. One Phoenix assistant coach, Bryan Gates, tested positive after Game 6 and missed the final game, while at least some of the other Suns members indicated to colleagues they weren’t feeling well prior to Game 7.

One player and four staffers tested positive the day after Game 7. The Athletic does not identify individuals who test positive for COVID-19 unless their names are made public by the team, league or the individuals themselves.

As a result of the outbreak, the Suns could not hold season-ending exit meetings between players and coaches at their practice facility and instead conducted a team-wide meeting via Zoom.

The ordeal raised questions internally about whether they were following the league’s rules for testing. The NBA requires all team personnel, regardless of vaccine status, to test for the virus if they are experiencing symptoms, and they may not play, coach or be at team facilities if they test positive.

"I think it’s very clear that nobody wanted to report stuff," said one source with knowledge of the Suns’ positive tests who was not authorized to speak publicly about them. "And this is where it gets dicey."

The Mavericks had grown concerned about the rumblings too, with one Dallas source indicating the discussion about a rumored Suns outbreak began as early as Game 5.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 4 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Yesterday was National Signing Day and the Spartans class is ranked #6 nationally: Jaden Reed, Max Christie and Pierre Brooks. Jaden is on a team with the #1 player in the country who is a junior and they play tonight at 8:30 on the Duece. I'll be watching. (oh, and the #1 player, Emoni Bates, is committed to the Spartans, but there's no guarantee he will ever play for us as the NBA is going back to letting HSers jump straight into the NBA starting in 2022. Peeps are hoping he reclassifies to 2021 so he gets one year of college ball.)
      I came for Emoni.
      I stayed for Chet.
      Fast forward 2 years, and Chet Holgrem is the 2nd pick overall in the NBA draft.

Emoni Bates, after a very disappointing first season at Memphis State, transfers to low ranked (#316 in D1) mid major Eastern Michigan.
      2,000 miler
    • Not a fan of retiring numbers, but the NBA has just retired Bill Russells #6 leaguewide a la Jackie Robinson. If you're going to do it can't argue with the decision to make it Russells. Players currently wearing #6 are grandfathered in and are allowed to continue to keep the number as long as they are in the league. Can't piss off Lebron. :)

Would have been nice if they did this while Russell was still alive do he could get the props.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Not a fan of retiring numbers, but the NBA has just retired Bill Russells #6 leaguewide a la Jackie Robinson. If you're going to do it can't argue with the decision to make it Russells. Players currently wearing #6 are grandfathered in and are allowed to continue to keep the number as long as they are in the league. Can't piss off Lebron. :)

Would have been nice if they did this while Russell was still alive do he could get the props.
      Definitely the GOAT!!!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

Not a fan of retiring numbers, but the NBA has just retired Bill Russells #6 leaguewide a la Jackie Robinson. If you're going to do it can't argue with the decision to make it Russells. Players currently wearing #6 are grandfathered in and are allowed to continue to keep the number as long as they are in the league. Can't piss off Lebron. :)

Knowing Russell, he may have asked them not to if approached about it.
      Always said he played for the Celtics (not Boston).
    • Astro wrote:

Interesting story about Tiny Archibald when he was rooming with Larry Bird during Bird's rookie year.

basketballnetwork.net/old-scho…s-he-received-in-new-york
      Bird sez: "I hung up, and Tiny said, "Who was that?" I told him, "Some guy that's going to kill me." The phone rang again, and this time Tiny picked it up. He chewed that guy out for a good ten minutes, but I really wasn't upset about it. I just went on. I knew the guy wasn't really going to kill me. You have to get used to that kind of thing when you are in the public eye. I've received so many death threats I've lost count. But I understand everyone deals with it differently. I read that Karl Malone decided he needed to start carrying a gun after he received threats"

The culture has changed to the point where probably most everyone in the NBA carries whether they've gotten death threats or not.
      2,000 miler
    • On the Tony Kornheiser Show the other day, he recalled the one time he met Bobby Knight.

They were at some practice or scrimmage on the sideline, and Tony commented to him, "You know, I would never play for you." The story as told continues:
      "And he looked at me, and he grabbed my stomach, in a particularly flabby area right above my belt. And he squeezed so hard, I thought I was going to go down on the ground. And before that happened, he looked at me with his half-evil smile, and he said, 'I'd never recruit you.'"

I'm also reminded of a story Tony told of another fiery basketball coach, Gary Williams. After Gary's retirement, they'd sometimes play golf. He told of one time (and here's where I'm going on memory) they were on a par 4, and Gary drove it in two. And then proceeded to 3-putt for bogey. So Tony says to him, in a foolish effort at consolation, "You know, it's only a game." Tony says Gary then explodes in anger, grabbed him around the top of his shirt and gets right in his face and says through gritted teeth, "I know it's just a game! But you're supposed to WIN the game!"
    • Time Zone wrote:

On the Tony Kornheiser Show the other day, he recalled the one time he met Bobby Knight.

They were at some practice or scrimmage on the sideline, and Tony commented to him, "You know, I would never play for you." The story as told continues:
      "And he looked at me, and he grabbed my stomach, in a particularly flabby area right above my belt. And he squeezed so hard, I thought I was going to go down on the ground. And before that happened, he looked at me with his half-evil smile, and he said, 'I'd never recruit you.'"

I'm also reminded of a story Tony told of another fiery basketball coach, Gary Williams. After Gary's retirement, they'd sometimes play golf. He told of one time (and here's where I'm going on memory) they were on a par 4, and Gary drove it in two. And then proceeded to 3-putt for bogey. So Tony says to him, in a foolish effort at consolation, "You know, it's only a game." Tony says Gary then explodes in anger, grabbed him around the top of his shirt and gets right in his face and says through gritted teeth, "I know it's just a game! But you're supposed to WIN the game!"
      Homecoming was this past weekend and my college friends still recalled my qoute from back then.

"Winning isn't everything,
      but it sure beats losing."
    • odd man out wrote:

Trillium wrote:

I'm a bit verklempt. Spartans were ranked preseason #4. They played the James Madison Dukes last night. Had an absolutely horrible start to the game. Lost 76-79 in OT. Drat.
      yes they always overachieve at underachieving. But their history is to peak at the right time (March). They don't seem to care about early season rankings.
      In sports being hot at the right is usually more important than being the "best over an entire season ".
    • Trillium wrote:

I'm a bit verklempt. Spartans were ranked preseason #4. They played the James Madison Dukes last night. Had an absolutely horrible start to the game. Lost 76-79 in OT. Drat.
      And in their next game JMU was down by 5 (84-89) with 3.8 seconds left and had the ball 94 feet from the basket. JMU says "hold my beer...."

2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Paige Bueckers announced last night at UConn's Senior Night that she would not enter the WNBA draft and would return to UConn next season. (I don't know why the person who posted this to youtube didn't show her entire speech to the crowd. I guess they just wanted the "I'm coming back" part.)

2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Adam Silver realizes that once again the all star game was unwatchable. He was hoping for a competive game this year. I love basketball but I haven't watched the all star game in years. The NFL game was so bad they resorted to playing flag football instead. Baseball has a lot of issues but at least they have an all star game that is close to the regular product.

Catch his excitement. He knew that the media was going to criticise the game today. And he was right.

twitter.com/StephNoh/status/17…fense-scoring-reaction%2F
      2,000 miler
    • I guess these things come in threes.

So far this week their has been a brawl in a mens basketball game that started in the handshake line and everyone got involved (the band kept playing until there song was finished :) ) and a brawl that started during a college womens basketball game.

Here's last nights news. The report says that this years basketball games between Spalding (one of the teams involved) and Griffin were played without spectators. What they didn't say is that it was becasue a 17 year old shot and killed a 14 year old after their football game.

Sign of the times?

Kicking both these teams out of the tourney was the right thing to do.

On a related note, I can't stand all the chirping that goes on from players and coaches directed to the refs when they make a call that they don't like.

2,000 miler

The post was edited 3 times, last by max.patch ().