Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trailplace 1997-2014 ???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

chief wrote:

it's trailplace.com

you might need to clear your browser cache.
      Got it, thanks!Hemorrhoids? Is that really a common health issue when hiking? ?(
      only if you're eating 8,000 calories a day.
      Ain't nobody on this web site man enough to carry 8000 calories a day.
      I'll carry a days worth
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

chief wrote:

it's trailplace.com

you might need to clear your browser cache.
      Got it, thanks!Hemorrhoids? Is that really a common health issue when hiking? ?(
      Only for those that have them.
      yeah, I always thought soft serve was more common.
      Cof124
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • here's some odd advice from a new post.

"Visit a pristine nature conservation park
      The A.T. was created to allow city dwellers to explore the wilderness and see nature in an unpolluted and well preserved form. That is why it passes through many national and state owned parks. Vogel State Park is a perfect example of a magnificent pristine environment.
      Hikers can branch at this park, maintained by very friendly folks, take a shower, and sit down, eat, drink and relax right in front of the scenic Lake Trahlyta, at the base of the Blood Mountains in Georgia. If you have sufficient energy to have more fun, you can visit the museum, go fishing, hike in the park and play on their miniature golf course."

the AT does not go thru vogel. it is possible to take a couple blue blazed trails (i've never done it) approx 5 miles from vogel to the AT south of blood, but i don't know of any thru hiker who has ever done that. i don't even think it's even in the books as an option. no reason to do unless ya like to play putt putt.

whoever this is has a lot of georgia references; i suspect the author has sectioned georgia or parts of it. may be a brit based on the spelling of honour.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

here's some odd advice from a new post.

"Visit a pristine nature conservation park
      The A.T. was created to allow city dwellers to explore the wilderness and see nature in an unpolluted and well preserved form. That is why it passes through many national and state owned parks. Vogel State Park is a perfect example of a magnificent pristine environment.
      Hikers can branch at this park, maintained by very friendly folks, take a shower, and sit down, eat, drink and relax right in front of the scenic Lake Trahlyta, at the base of the Blood Mountains in Georgia. If you have sufficient energy to have more fun, you can visit the museum, go fishing, hike in the park and play on their miniature golf course."

the AT does not go thru vogel. it is possible to take a couple blue blazed trails (i've never done it) approx 5 miles from vogel to the AT south of blood, but i don't know of any thru hiker who has ever done that. i don't even think it's even in the books as an option. no reason to do unless ya like to play putt putt.

whoever this is has a lot of georgia references; i suspect the author has sectioned georgia or parts of it. may be a brit based on the spelling of honour.
      Vietnamese Spammer
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • this is cool...someone moved damascus to the north georgia mountains when i wasn't lookin:

1. Hiker Hostel

Hikers, cyclists, mountain bikers and eco-tourists who want to get away to the Northern Mountains of Georgia find Hiker Hostel a suitable accommodation option. It is located in Damascus, Virginia and the Appalachian Trail follows a sidewalk just in front of the hostel. The hostel has private rooms, container cabins and bunks that offer clean, comfortable and affordable temporary accommodation. You can access local shops and restaurants easily since they are a walk distance away from the hostel.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

this is cool...someone moved damascus to the north georgia mountains when i wasn't lookin:

1. Hiker Hostel

Hikers, cyclists, mountain bikers and eco-tourists who want to get away to the Northern Mountains of Georgia find Hiker Hostel a suitable accommodation option. It is located in Damascus, Virginia and the Appalachian Trail follows a sidewalk just in front of the hostel. The hostel has private rooms, container cabins and bunks that offer clean, comfortable and affordable temporary accommodation. You can access local shops and restaurants easily since they are a walk distance away from the hostel.
      They probably snuck it in under all the smoke from the fires. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

this is cool...someone moved damascus to the north georgia mountains when i wasn't lookin:

1. Hiker Hostel

They probably snuck it in under all the smoke from the fires. :rolleyes:
      Cof124
      the fog of war
    • max.patch wrote:

he lives in conyers, a suburb of atlanta.

he stopped talking about the a.t. and began writing religous books. i haven't looked at his blog in a couple of years, but when i searched for it a few minutes ago to provide the link, i was suprised to see that he is writing a book about his first thru hike and it may be out next year.

danbruce.org/wordpress/
      here's an update; 6 years later:

Note: This project has been placed on the back burner for now. The Bible research I’m working on is so much more important (and interesting) so I’m finding it hard to concentrate on writing a secular-oriented book, but I will try to devote some time to completing this title in 2021 or 2022. It won’t be the typical “thru-hiker journal” kind of book (“Woke up, ate some gorp, hiked five miles, stopped for lunch, ate some gorp, hiked five more miles, reached the shelter, ate some gorp for supper, went to sleep. Next day, got up, ate some gorp, hiked five miles,” … and so on), since there are already way too many of those kinds of A.T. books on the market. And for any of you who hiked with me in 1985, don’t worry, I won’t be using real names or Trail names in the book (except possibly in a couple of cases where long-term friendships resulted and they have given unconditional permission), mainly to avoid the hassle of getting permissions and other legal releases. If, on the other hand, you want to be mentioned, let me know, but be forewarned: Fame, even if only being nothing more than a big fish in a very small pond, isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!–Dan
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

This site can’t be reached
      trailplace.com’s server IP address could not be found.

I went to trailplace last month, and again today, and both times I got the above error message.

Is this site finally out of it's misery?
      Did a Whois search. The owner of the domain is hidden. It comes up for renewal this month. If the owner does not renew, maybe you could grab it :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I went to trailplace last month, and again today, and both times I got the above error message.

Did a Whois search. The owner of the domain is hidden. It comes up for renewal this month. If the owner does not renew, maybe you could grab it :)
      Not me! Great opportunity for you to expand your empire. Position yourself for a hostile takeover of you know who!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I've not even tried to reach it for several years. Figure he quit paying for even the "Hold this web site". Not surprised. Lives change.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork