Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• chief wrote:

max.patch wrote:

english butcher for some reason honours prince by making purple sausages. prince, of course, was vegan.

[IMG:http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/Article/images/29181265/14140007.jpg]
      meat is your friend
      Not for a buddy I camped with two weeks ago, he offered me some funky looking Cajun sausage the had rice in it (that's not natural), I took the piece and didn't want to offend him so I waited until his back was turned and flipped it into the woods...he suffered from food poisoning for a week.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Looks like Dakota Joe got 5 years to serve. What a dumbass. Really disappointed in that guy.
      From what I saw it is what he is being offered as a plea deal. At least it was my take from his FB posts. Still a dumb ass for getting in trouble again. What did he do this time?
      If memory serves me correctly he was charged with Fleeing and Attempting to Elude, Resisting Arrest w/o Violence, and Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon. He himself was shot in the leg about a month before his arrest. One can only deduce that he had a gun either for protection or revenge. My guess based on some FB posts I saw is leaning toward revenge. One of his biggest mistakes was moving back to Florida and getting back into that same old lifestyle that he was trying to get out of when he did his hike. He had a good job making serious money working the oil fields in Montana/North Dakota but he got fired.
      RIAP
    • Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I believe under current regulations they wouldn't be allowed in wilderness areas. On the serious side; hopefully it can help some of our vets & other disabled people walk again.
      The Americans with Disabilities Act overrides the Wilderness Act. Electric wheelchairs would be allowed on a wilderness trail except they cannot traverse the trail itself.
      I seem to remember a short accessible section south of Damascus.

Drybones wrote:

Got a new computer.....I hate change!
      I will take all the spare change you care to send me.

max.patch wrote:

english butcher for some reason honours prince by making purple sausages. prince, of course, was vegan.

[IMG:http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/Article/images/29181265/14140007.jpg]
      I would be very alarmed if it was that color.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • I rode the Metra on Sunday. I sat next to the window. There was a broken off piece of metal protruding from the electrical outlet. My bare leg completed the circuit between the outlet and the metal wall near my ankle. It felt somewhat like a bee sting. I am glad my skin was dry. After I explained the problem to the conductor, he said he would put tape over it. I wonder if that happened.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • max.patch wrote:

See this is messed up Denise Matthews loves his purple sausage... did you not get the memo?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • He is a revolving mess within the jail system... just reading all the arrests is very troubling...He gets his life in order and then screws it up again, and again.

What is more distressing is how counter intuitive reading how safe the trail is when you read stuff like this. He is one of many out there.

Thanks for the update.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

What is more distressing is how counter intuitive reading how safe the trail is when you read stuff like this. He is one of many out there.
      And he behaved himself reasonably well when he was on the trail. I think that the criminals Out There are the ones who are making an effort to reform - hiking is hard work, after all. When they go back to their old ways, they go back to town. That's just about the only explanation I can come up with for "so many criminals and so little crime."
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

i think criminals are lazy. if someone wanted to commit criminal activity it's a whole lot easier -- plus a much larger potential payoff -- doing it in town rather than throwing on a backpack and humping it thru the woods while looking for a crime to commit.

similarly - and i acknowledge that plenty of people disagree with me - given a choice between parking at a trailhead in the woods and parking at a trailhead on the pavement i'll choose the woods every time. a criminal can drive past a trailhead on the road and do a quick smash and grab. that same criminal is likely to be too lazy to drive 6 miles - and back - on a forest service road to see if someone is parked there.

anecdotal to be sure, but my car has broken into twice. once in my own driveway, and once when parked on the street when attending the fox theater. its never been touched the many times its been parked in the woods.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• chief wrote:

He sure showed up the haters, huh?
      Why, yes, he did, while he was on trail, and for a short while later, when he got a job and was apparently doing all right.

He found his way for a while. That's an accomplishment to show up the haters, even though he lost his way again afterwards.

It's a lot further than most people with a background like his go toward reforming themselves.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

chief wrote:

Why, yes, he did, while he was on trail, and for a short while later, when he got a job and was apparently doing all right.
      He found his way for a while. That's an accomplishment to show up the haters, even though he lost his way again afterwards.

It's a lot further than most people with a background like his go toward reforming themselves.
      Ah, he found it, then he lost it. Must not have meant much to him or maybe that was never the point. In my opinion, it was not really about reforming, it was more about "I'll show you". Yep, he showed everybody, but he's still a criminal according to reports. Now can us "haters" (ordinary hikers) feel secure he won't use his next hike to move on from petty crime to something more serious?
    • max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

i think criminals are lazy. if someone wanted to commit criminal activity it's a whole lot easier -- plus a much larger potential payoff -- doing it in town rather than throwing on a backpack and humping it thru the woods while looking for a crime to commit.
      similarly - and i acknowledge that plenty of people disagree with me - given a choice between parking at a trailhead in the woods and parking at a trailhead on the pavement i'll choose the woods every time. a criminal can drive past a trailhead on the road and do a quick smash and grab. that same criminal is likely to be too lazy to drive 6 miles - and back - on a forest service road to see if someone is parked there.

anecdotal to be sure, but my car has broken into twice. once in my own driveway, and once when parked on the street when attending the fox theater. its never been touched the many times its been parked in the woods.
      I have always believed this...with the exception of a few psychopaths.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • chief wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

chief wrote:

Why, yes, he did, while he was on trail, and for a short while later, when he got a job and was apparently doing all right.He found his way for a while. That's an accomplishment to show up the haters, even though he lost his way again afterwards.

Ah, he found it, then he lost it. Must not have meant much to him or maybe that was never the point. In my opinion, it was not really about reforming, it was more about "I'll show you". Yep, he showed everybody, but he's still a criminal according to reports. Now can us "haters" (ordinary hikers) feel secure he won't use his next hike to move on from petty crime to something more serious?
      I think its great he hiked the trail... but he has a history and this recent mess he got himself into - caught with a gun while on Parole. will land him back in the system for 5 years. I have doubts he will get two.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

chief wrote:

• chief wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

chief wrote:

Why, yes, he did, while he was on trail, and for a short while later, when he got a job and was apparently doing all right.He found his way for a while. That's an accomplishment to show up the haters, even though he lost his way again afterwards.

Wise Old Owl wrote:

chief wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

chief wrote:

I think its great he hiked the trail... but he has a history and this recent mess he got himself into - caught with a gun while on Parole. will land him back in the system for 5 years. I have doubts he will get two.
      DJ has issues that are the fault of his birth mother and will likely never be resolved. Kids that are born to drug-addicted mothers experience cognitive and behavior problems that make them at high risk for drug dependence and violence. We are breeding a generation of these kids with widespread opiate abuse. I'm not excusing DJ but I pity him and I'm saddened by the circumstances. We can make blanket statements like, He's just a loser and criminal, but he deserves compassion.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

chief wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

chief wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

chief wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

chief wrote:

Why, yes, he did, while he was on trail, and for a short while later, when he got a job and was apparently doing all right.He found his way for a while. That's an accomplishment to show up the haters, even though he lost his way again afterwards.It's a lot further than most people with a background like his go toward reforming themselves.
      DJ has issues that are the fault of his birth mother and will likely never be resolved. Kids that are born to drug-addicted mothers experience cognitive and behavior problems that make them at high risk for drug dependence and violence. We are breeding a generation of these kids with widespread opiate abuse. I'm not excusing DJ but I pity him and I'm saddened by the circumstances. We can make blanket statements like, He's just a loser and criminal, but he deserves compassion.
      On this we can agree, Austin (my son) married a girl about 4 years ago with many mental issues against our wishes. Turns out her drug addicted mother was into many drugs and in and out of jail... Defiance disorder, attention disorder, hyperactivity etc... opiates and broken homes are destroying this country...
    • max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

criminals are people...there are all kinds. Lazy, ambitious, those that like to ride around in the woods. mean ones, kind ones, ....some will give you the shirt off their back and then steal your stuff....
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

i think criminals are lazy. if someone wanted to commit criminal activity it's a whole lot easier -- plus a much larger potential payoff -- doing it in town rather than throwing on a backpack and humping it thru the woods while looking for a crime to commit.similarly - and i acknowledge that plenty of people disagree with me - given a choice between parking at a trailhead in the woods and parking at a trailhead on the pavement i'll choose the woods every time. a criminal can drive past a trailhead on the road and do a quick smash and grab. that same criminal is likely to be too lazy to drive 6 miles - and back - on a forest service road to see if someone is parked there.

criminals are people...there are all kinds. Lazy, ambitious, those that like to ride around in the woods. mean ones, kind ones, ....some will give you the shirt off their back and then steal your stuff....
      I wonder how many of us have never done anything that had we been caught would make us a classified criminal.
    • Fun fact for the day:

While looking for a tattered coat for the character playing The Wizard in the Wizard of Oz, a costume assistant bought one from a second hand store. When the actor put the coat on he turned the pocket inside out - written in the pocket was the name L.Frank Baum who is the author of The Wizard of Oz books. Baum's widow later identified the coat as actually having belonged to her husband.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Drybones wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

i think criminals are lazy. if someone wanted to commit criminal activity it's a whole lot easier -- plus a much larger potential payoff -- doing it in town rather than throwing on a backpack and humping it thru the woods while looking for a crime to commit.similarly - and i acknowledge that plenty of people disagree with me - given a choice between parking at a trailhead in the woods and parking at a trailhead on the pavement i'll choose the woods every time. a criminal can drive past a trailhead on the road and do a quick smash and grab. that same criminal is likely to be too lazy to drive 6 miles - and back - on a forest service road to see if someone is parked there.