Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• greetings - I haven't been on here or active for a while- hope everyone is doing ok>
      as of this last year, I've re-hiked 1112.9 miles of the AT and have about 1076 to go
      I'm doing NY and NJ in May at a pace of 15MPD + if anyone has interest. What else is
      up with you fine folks?
    • PapaD wrote:

greetings - I haven't been on here or active for a while- hope everyone is doing ok>
      as of this last year, I've re-hiked 1112.9 miles of the AT and have about 1076 to go
      I'm doing NY and NJ in May at a pace of 15MPD + if anyone has interest. What else is
      up with you fine folks?
      PapaD,
      Great to see you hear again. I did Glasgow, VA to Pawling, NY last summer. NJ and NY was good memories, especially with all the Deli's. Only issue I had was with water in late July/early August, but that probably should not be a problem in May.

Have a great hike!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • cool - yeah I ended a section a few years back in Pawling - Race Brook Falls MA to Pawling - pretty much all of CT in the snow and a flooded Housitanic River - it was a really cool kind of crazy 4.5 days of post-holing and wet feet - I've done everything from Amacalola to Partnership Shelter VA (as of last month) plus Elkwallow Gap, VA through Pen-Mar State Part and all of CT, MA, VT, NH and up to Rangeley ME - the big parts I need to fill in now are most of VA, all of PA, NY, NJ, and upper ME
    • PapaD wrote:

cool - yeah I ended a section a few years back in Pawling - Race Brook Falls MA to Pawling - pretty much all of CT in the snow and a flooded Housitanic River - it was a really cool kind of crazy 4.5 days of post-holing and wet feet - I've done everything from Amacalola to Partnership Shelter VA (as of last month) plus Elkwallow Gap, VA through Pen-Mar State Part and all of CT, MA, VT, NH and up to Rangeley ME - the big parts I need to fill in now are most of VA, all of PA, NY, NJ, and upper ME
      I have done everything now to Pawling. My plan is CT-MA-VT-NH this summer and ME in summer 2107.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Well, Congress keeps trying out any new fangled method for teaching. No matter what lack of credentials the person proposing the mthod has or hasn't. From what I learned at university, Congress and the Department of Education doesn't like the old methods, as they are the old methods. Doesn't matter if the old methods turned out studengts who could do the work or not. The President really has nothing to do with this.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Has anyone ever thought of pony blazing the Grayson Highlands?
      As resident multiblazer .... no.
      The Grayson Highland ponies are little, stunted and unhealthy looking 4 legged seagulls. The only possible use I could think of for them is the centrepiece of a good fire and spit combination.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

As resident multiblazer .... no.The Grayson Highland ponies are little, stunted and unhealthy looking 4 legged seagulls. The only possible use I could think of for them is the centrepiece of a good fire and spit combination.

They look like what they supposed to look like.

google.com/search?q=ponies&prm…59#tbm=isch&q=wild+ponies
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • JimBlue wrote:

Well, Congress keeps trying out any new fangled method for teaching. No matter what lack of credentials the person proposing the mthod has or hasn't. From what I learned at university, Congress and the Department of Education doesn't like the old methods, as they are the old methods. Doesn't matter if the old methods turned out studengts who could do the work or not. The President really has nothing to do with this.
      I don't know, reinventing the wheel (cancel and carry method of subtraction) has worked for a pretty
      Long time and sent people to the moon, to my way of thinking it's just "look what we did in our time hear" pushing adgenda...but then I'm also for bringing back the gallows, so.
    • A plan for the improvement of spelling in the English language
      By Mark Twain
      For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Generally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeiniing voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x"— bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez —tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivili.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

A plan for the improvement of spelling in the English language
      By Mark Twain
      For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Generally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeiniing voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x"— bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez —tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivili.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
      I smell a konspiraci...
      Kommon Kore Klasses=KKK

Instead of using K try S

Sommon Sore
      Now Google or Bing search it and see what you get...pretty damn spooky ain't it!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• socks wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Well, Congress keeps trying out any new fangled method for teaching. No matter what lack of credentials the person proposing the mthod has or hasn't. From what I learned at university, Congress and the Department of Education doesn't like the old methods, as they are the old methods. Doesn't matter if the old methods turned out studengts who could do the work or not. The President really has nothing to do with this.
      I don't know, reinventing the wheel (cancel and carry method of subtraction) has worked for a prettyLong time and sent people to the moon, to my way of thinking it's just "look what we did in our time hear" pushing adgenda...but then I'm also for bringing back the gallows, so.

I've seen claims the space program was expensive... and yet, it cost less than a month of Viet Nam at its height. Or less than makeup, or dog food, etc.

It was really done on a shoe string.

People have told me that they didn't like money being sent into space. I replied that it was American paychecks that were stopped. No coins nor paper money was shipped up into space and dumped out. They told me I was lieing. I told them they were crazy.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

socks wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I don't know, reinventing the wheel (cancel and carry method of subtraction) has worked for a prettyLong time and sent people to the moon, to my way of thinking it's just "look what we did in our time hear" pushing adgenda...but then I'm also for bringing back the gallows, so.
      I've seen claims the space program was expensive... and yet, it cost less than a month of Viet Nam at its height. Or less than makeup, or dog food, etc.

People have told me that they didn't like money being sent into space. I replied that it was American paychecks that were stopped. No coins nor paper money was shipped up into space and dumped out. They told me I was lieing. I told them they were crazy.
      now I wonder if that takes into the accounting dept all the expenditures for the technologies that supported it. But yes it is amazing to me as well, in particular the compute power and where we are just 70 years later with one in our hand, you could run a small country on a laptop.
    • OzJacko wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

As resident multiblazer .... no.The Grayson Highland ponies are little, stunted and unhealthy looking 4 legged seagulls. The only possible use I could think of for them is the centrepiece of a good fire and spit combination.
      Maybe a team could pull me on an ultralight wagon.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • socks wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

socks wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

now I wonder if that takes into the accounting dept all the expenditures for the technologies that supported it. But yes it is amazing to me as well, in particular the compute power and where we are just 70 years later with one in our hand, you could run a small country on a laptop.

What was gteling for me was one of the Apollo 11 astronauts showing a wrist watch with a built-in calculator and him saying it had more computing power than the entire command module.

THere are some things not counted in the Apollo program costs... but I remember those were the infrastruture for ground control and tests that were conducted using earlier rockets.

I was watching a show about the early parts, when the German rocket scientists were involved. They would take apart things shipped in by the sub-contractors. NASA freaked out and told them to stop. The reply, 'these items don't meet our standards, so we have to check them before they are added'. The NASA official got upset, and Von Braun pulled out a handkerchief and replied, 'We found this in one of the items we inspected. We will continue to do so !'.
      --
    • OzJacko wrote:

While it's never been common, "common sense" is actually something that you learn, it's not built in.
      We used to teach it to our kids. Somewhere along the way they stopped learning it.
      Critical thinking used to be taught to... but politicians learned it helped people see through their speeches. So its no longer taught.
      --
    • Currently here sunrise just after 6am sunset just before 7pm. Days getting shorter. We get less variation over the year than most of you guys.
      Today's the hot day in current "cycle". Had high 70's yesterday. Already 91 at 11.20am today. Probably get 95. Back to mid 80's for a while after that.
      250 mile north Perth is starting to string some 100 pluses together again. So glad I left that sweat box.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
      • Myself and two others did a short hike this weekend, hiked a little over two miles Friday night to Blue Mountain Shelter on the Pinhoti and spent the night, lows around 25*28*, hiked around 12 miles to a favorite camp spot Saturday, don't know why I like it, kinda like and old pair of jeans, don't look that great but they feel good, had coffee Sunday morning and then finished up the last 3 or so miles and headed to Cracker Barrel to pig out. The weather was ab-so-lut-ly beautiful.
      Images
      • 2016_0228ctrail0003.JPG

221.89 kB, 800×600, viewed 161 times
      • 2016_0228ctrail0005.JPG

270.94 kB, 800×600, viewed 171 times
      • 2016_0228ctrail0006.JPG

278.84 kB, 800×600, viewed 158 times
      • 2016_0228ctrail0007.JPG

239.25 kB, 800×600, viewed 157 times
      • 2016_0228ctrail0008.JPG

198.05 kB, 800×600, viewed 148 times
      • 2016_0228ctrail0011.JPG

239.4 kB, 800×600, viewed 146 times
      • 2016_0228ctrail0013.JPG

137.63 kB, 450×600, viewed 169 times
      • 2016_0228ctrail0014.JPG

210.35 kB, 800×600, viewed 131 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • socks wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I don't know, reinventing the wheel (cancel and carry method of subtraction) has worked for a pretty
      Now know as 'regrouping'.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC