Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Well, my JMT permit request was denied. They tell me they take faxed requests each day on a first in basis, then take calls. I sent another request that will print on their fax at 4:00 a.m. on day 168 out, you'd think that would put me at the front of the line. I question how they determine permits...maybe the fax should have been sent from CA or NY rather than AL. If I don't get this one I'll give up and go do something else.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Db I've run into the same problem getting Grand Canyon permits. They do hold a certain amount back for walkins, but you better be at the office hours before they open. Also try listing alternative iteneries. Also I would call them on the phone and see how many permits they hold for walkins.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Interesting how one thought leads to another, was considering selling the Tundra because I never drive it since I bought an old Jeep and was thinking what I ever really needed it for and the only thing that came to mind was a few hikes where it hauled a lot of people. Thought about the night hike we did over Dugger Mt in a torrential rain, the 9-10 girls in the bed were really celebrating during the end shuttle, I asked the guy in the front with me if they were celebrating a good hike or the fact they were still alive...the following is a link to some photos if you're interested.

meetup.com/BirminghamAdventure…hotos/15944272/#256786872
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I have now completed my wilderness first aid training. I would not say I would be particularly more useful in an emergency on the trail, but I can now look more competent while I panic.
      :)

You will be surprised with your reaction if you ever need it. I was when I did.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • The stupidity of some Australian hikers still amazes me.
      My first aid training was held in a group of buildings 50 metres off the Bibbulmun Track about 15 miles from the start. There is a hut between the start and there and another about 1 or 2 mile beyond where we were.
      While we were having a break a prospective thru hiker came through. I jogged over and chatted to him for a while as we walked. He had an enormous pack and a day pack on the front as well. Water bottles and a couple of other bits and pieces hung off the outside.
      I said he looked to be carrying a lot of weight. He said he had a 2lb tent and a light air pad and very few clothes and didn't know what else he could leave behind. He admitted his minus 5 celsius bag (synthetic) was heavy but I didn't criticise as down is pricey. I pointed out he had a bit of water. He said he had 8 litres (about 17 or 18 lbs). I asked why as the hut just up the trail had rainwater tanks. He replied that the tap water he had just filled up with "tasted better". I wished him well and let him go on his way. For what it's worth most people find the rainwater tanks taste better than tap water. If (big if), he continues, Violet will meet him going the other way about 2 or so weeks into her hike.
      No I didn't offer a pack shakedown. He would have to have been carrying well in excess of 70lbs I would say. Minimum temperatures he is likely to encounter would be 55 during daylight and 45 overnight. Maximums will be up to 100 but mostly around high 80's for the next 2 or 3 weeks and then progressively cooler. Yes he would have had a decent amount of food but really, 8 litres of water 1 mile from a water tank?
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I have now completed my wilderness first aid training. I would not say I would be particularly more useful in an emergency on the trail, but I can now look more competent while I panic.

LOL! I just hope I never have to fix a dislocated shoulder.

That is still better than being the person who needs their shoulder relocated.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • OzJacko wrote:

The stupidity of some Australian hikers still amazes me.
      My first aid training was held in a group of buildings 50 metres off the Bibbulmun Track about 15 miles from the start. There is a hut between the start and there and another about 1 or 2 mile beyond where we were.
      While we were having a break a prospective thru hiker came through. I jogged over and chatted to him for a while as we walked. He had an enormous pack and a day pack on the front as well. Water bottles and a couple of other bits and pieces hung off the outside.
      I said he looked to be carrying a lot of weight. He said he had a 2lb tent and a light air pad and very few clothes and didn't know what else he could leave behind. He admitted his minus 5 celsius bag (synthetic) was heavy but I didn't criticise as down is pricey. I pointed out he had a bit of water. He said he had 8 litres (about 17 or 18 lbs). I asked why as the hut just up the trail had rainwater tanks. He replied that the tap water he had just filled up with "tasted better". I wished him well and let him go on his way. For what it's worth most people find the rainwater tanks taste better than tap water. If (big if), he continues, Violet will meet him going the other way about 2 or so weeks into her hike.
      No I didn't offer a pack shakedown. He would have to have been carrying well in excess of 70lbs I would say. Minimum temperatures he is likely to encounter would be 55 during daylight and 45 overnight. Maximums will be up to 100 but mostly around high 80's for the next 2 or 3 weeks and then progressively cooler. Yes he would have had a decent amount of food but really, 8 litres of water 1 mile from a water tank?

But if he does make it, look at all the extra exercise and conditioning he will have obtained. ;)
    • OzJacko wrote:

The stupidity of some Australian hikers still amazes me.
      ...what's that ol' saying about leading a horse to water, but not being able to make him drink.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Be careful. Some people are get very sensitive when you suggest they should plan better around available water sources. :whistling:

I actually burnt snow the other day. I learned 2 important lessons with melting snow with tiny titanium pots. Lesson 1 is to melt a 1/2 cup of snow to get some water started before adding more snow. Lesson 2 is to not wear wool gloves when making snowballs to drop in the pot. Scorched wool water tastes like crap.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Be careful. Some people are get very sensitive when you suggest they should plan better around available water sources. :whistling:

I actually burnt snow the other day. I learned 2 important lessons with melting snow with tiny titanium pots. Lesson 1 is to melt a 1/2 cup of snow to get some water started before adding more snow. Lesson 2 is to not wear wool gloves when making snowballs to drop in the pot. Scorched wool water tastes like crap.

Having never tasted crap, I will take your word for it and thank you for the heads up. :P
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Having never tasted crap, I will take your word for it and thank you for the heads up. :P

Make a snowball with wool gloves then burn the snowball then you will know.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I have...it tastes like shyte!
    • Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

the chef burned water, that amuses me.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

the chef burned water, that amuses me.

Me too.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Out of 15 cars at my wilderness first aid training 7 were Subarus. Not sure how many are lesbians but similar ratios can be found at most trailheads. Subaru has well under 10% of the local market. (3% I think).
      I assume some assumptions can be made from that.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Out of 15 cars at my wilderness first aid training 7 were Subarus. Not sure how many are lesbians but similar ratios can be found at most trailheads. Subaru has well under 10% of the local market. (3% I think).
      I assume some assumptions can be made from that.

Like there are a lot of lesbian hikers?
      Just kidding- Subarus are just great cars for outdoor like people.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Just got back from getting my first hair cut in 9 months....woooooooooooohhh......I feel light headed. It's a hellofa note when your kids start telling you to get a hair cut...guess it's their turn now.
      I'm waitin' for the garage to warm up...maybe next week I'll give me head a good buzzin'

Need one myself. Stopped in today but the line was too long.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().