Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

whew!
      Been a busy night.
      About 60 posts in here to catch up on.

Looks like the cell is going to get as crowded as a Camino hostel Max.

Toli I love your work.

And BB I salute you. For your comments about TOS as well as the fact IM and I are going to get one of your stoves each.
      gif.004
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

Can't stay and chat much today.
      Lots to do.
      In just over 48 hours I talk to my brother in law's Rotary club about how to hike the AT all wrong.
      Then the next day Annie and I head south for 2 market stalls followed by a week hiking the Cape to Cape Track.
      I'll drop in a bit but only intermittently until about 11th March.
      Expect I will post a trail report and some photos of the hike.
      It is a coastal walk essentially. Lots of clifftop and beach walking.
      Expect a lot of sun exposure but not too high temps.
      The 4th night is in a 5 star resort with ensuite (large) spa.
      Still doing it wrong!
      :evil:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Lots to do.
      In just over 48 hours I talk to my brother in law's Rotary club about how to hike the AT all wrong.
      Then the next day Annie and I head south for 2 market stalls followed by a week hiking the Cape to Cape Track.
      Still doing it wrong!

Keep up the tradition! and check in when you can!

OzJacko wrote:

Lots to do.
      Still doing it wrong!

Take careful notes and pictures of your hiking trip. An Australian article would be neat!
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

Rasty wrote:

Are the Kings, Queens, Dukes, Dutchess and the rest of the Thread Drift royalty saying something should be done about thread drift? That is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

That is like we looked in the mirror for the problem, and saw ti was us. :lol:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

TrainWreck wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

I actually wish he would get a little busier doing thread maintenance and clearing out some of the chitchat and pointless entries so you can read about bear bagging, shuttle resources, and whatnot without wading thru all the gossipy overtones :S :sick: :pinch:
      yeah, effin HM is a pain in the azz with all her cutesy replies and smileys, always kissin' azz and spewin' schitt. phuggin' packsniffer is all she is. and a cookie baker :lol:

I'm not getting into all that, my point is there's more thread drift and wasted posts than I've seen in years. It takes far too long to download if all you're after is some serious info. Someone is slacking off in that area of site maintenance.
      i have thought about this for some time, and will speak to Rasty about a way of keeping the content where it is readable without having to go through the thread...oh hell here it is.

The original poster puts up a post or poses a question, when the question is answerd say in post 39 the OP can copy paste that info and any other per rennet info in the first post of the thread, and just keep it running how ever long they feel like it. If Johnny new guy comes along and wants info, it's there in the first post. If they want to read further to see how the thread progressed, well that's there too...knock yourself out and read on. May not work in every instance, but for straight up info on places or the like...this is kinda what I had in mind when posting the compass thread, that it would evolve. Into something all could have a hand in.

So are you volunteering to go over there and tell the scaly scamp you have a brilliant idea to improve his site? I know you're not talking about this one :lol:

Must be RS way to join the WB Hall of Shame. Go for it RS!

OzJacko wrote:

Lots to do.
      Still doing it wrong!

Oz, awesome about the Rotary speech! Would love to be there for that, but the commute would be a little too long.

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Lots to do.
      Still doing it wrong!

Oz, awesome about the Rotary speech! Would love to be there for that, but the commute would be a little too long.

I wish he was closer, so we could all show up and heckle him during his speech :lol:

TrainWreck wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Lots to do.
      Still doing it wrong!

I wish he was closer, so we could all show up and heckle him during his speech :lol:

I would show up for that!
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Lots to do.
      Still doing it wrong!

I would show up for that!

Now that would be fun.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Doing one within reach of you guys WOULD be doing it wrong.
      I'm going to insist on a "no recording" status so a copy of what I say about you all doesn't get out.
      46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif

TrainWreck wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I'm going to insist on a "no recording" status so a copy of what I say about you all doesn't get out.

I bet Invisible Man could be bribed to do a little clandestine recording :evil:

He won't be there...
      gif.005

OzJacko wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I bet Invisible Man could be bribed to do a little clandestine recording :evil:

He won't be there...
      gif.005

OK, then, we'll just get the NSA to do a little friendly eavesdropping. They've had plenty of practice by now :ohmy:

CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

On a new subject.... what happened??
      The AT is 0.6 miles shorter than last year?
      gif.002

The committee must have gotten a hold of your Rotary Clup notes! ;)

I have crib notes that don't make sense except to me. The rest is in my head Coach. :P
      Actually I'll give you my thoughts.
      Can't off the top of my head remember exactly where but think it was southern Vermont. Big deviation - roadwalk - around storm damage. You had bad weather in 2012 too remember.
      Many (myself included), walked the new trail being made that was marked with orange streamer. It was not the official AT. Something I delighted in pointing out to two of the purist purists I walked with. The look on one face was priceless when he realised I was right.
      gif.005

Oz, for your Rotary notes I would recommend a Mind Map. On one sheet you can have branches out to images and words about the key things you want to talk about. The great thing is you do not have to worry about loosing your place or dropping note cards or anything like that. Just a suggestion that has worked for me an my sons.
    • Re:Re: welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

Astro wrote:

Oz, for your Rotary notes I would recommend a Mind Map. On one sheet you can have branches out to images and words about the key things you want to talk about. The great thing is you do not have to worry about loosing your place or dropping note cards or anything like that. Just a suggestion that has worked for me an my sons.

Is a mind map similar to a mind meld?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

TrafficJam wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I finally figured out how to make that "figured it out" comment go away gif.014

I'm sorry, but since I didn't see the original comment, you'll need to put it back :lol:

I probably couldn't do it again if I tried.

Now we get to read BB's until he figures it out.

I cannot figure out how to get rid of mine. gif.010
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.