Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

hikerboy wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I was watching the movie "Carlos" on netflics a few days ago. On his first mission they gave hima gun & .... 5 Bullets I burst out laughing. Maybe it was a good thing I was alone.
      it is of course the universally accepted correct amount of bullets as ascertained by one lonewolfapedia
      where is lonewolfa?

...saw he posted at TOS

...guess his time out, was times up.

hikerboy wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I was watching the movie "Carlos" on netflics a few days ago. On his first mission they gave hima gun & .... 5 Bullets I burst out laughing. Maybe it was a good thing I was alone.
      it is of course the universally accepted correct amount of bullets as ascertained by one lonewolfapedia

what was the gun for?
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

what was the gun for?

He was doing it all wrong! 52.gif
    • Re:Re: welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

hikerboy wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

what was the gun for?

This is my rifle and this is my gun. One is for killing the other is for fun. :eek:
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Isn't it strange how having no plan starts to all work out. My only plan was to get back to the trail where I left off sometime this spring.
      Was able to stash a little money from my security job this winter. Found out today that my daughter was going get a sizeable tax refund and pay me back all the money she owed me. Cha ching.
      Also had made no solid plans to get back down south. Talked to an old high school friend today and they are going on vacation March 17th and will be passing within a stones throw of where I need to be. Happy to take me for a ride. (that doesn't sound good) So, for a tank or two of gas that I will insist on furnishing I am good to go.
      Now I have a whole month to get my crap together.

Storm wrote:

Isn't it strange how having no plan starts to all work out. My only plan was to get back to the trail where I left off sometime this spring.
      Was able to stash a little money from my security job this winter. Found out today that my daughter was going get a sizeable tax refund and pay me back all the money she owed me. Cha ching.
      Also had made no solid plans to get back down south. Talked to an old high school friend today and they are going on vacation March 17th and will be passing within a stones throw of where I need to be. Happy to take me for a ride. (that doesn't sound good) So, for a tank or two of gas that I will insist on furnishing I am good to go.

I'm glad it's all working out. I wish my kids would pay me back, lol.
      Lost in the right direction.

Storm wrote:

George Pepared used to smoke a small cigar when he loved it "when a plan comes together"
      Sounds like the plans are coming together great without a plan! Sooo, what's the new plan?

Storm wrote:

that is awesome,storm. hope to see you out there somewhere this year
      its all good

Storm wrote:

Don't forget to quit the job, hehe...good for you Storm, pretty darn cool how being responsible earlier in life can come back around and pave a way. Do you need anything?

rocksNsocks wrote:

Storm wrote:

Don't forget to quit the job, hehe...good for you Storm, pretty darn cool how being responsible earlier in life can come back around and pave a way. Do you need anything?

i see theres a new trend in avatars?
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Storm wrote:

yeah I'm not really digging my yellow mooning man...goin back to analog.ok...that's spooky!

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Storm wrote:

yeah I'm not really digging my yellow mooning man...goin back to analog.ok...that's spooky!
      just call me x-ray.

MM I think I will stick with the no plan thing, after all, its just a vacation.

RS I have everything, probably enough to equip two people if I needed to. And I did give notice on my job.

HB unless I happen to miss you on a town day I am sure you will catch and pass me. I'll be sure to tell you that you are doing it wrong on your way by.

Storm wrote:

MM I think I will stick with the no plan thing, after all, its just a vacation.

RS I have everything, probably enough to equip two people if I needed to. And I did give notice on my job.

HB unless I happen to miss you on a town day I am sure you will catch and pass me. I'll be sure to tell you that you are doing it wrong on your way by.

thanks, i could use the encouragement
      its all good

I look forward to hearing the progress of all cafe hikers this year.
      I presume that HB will give occasional updates in here and others will post when they catch up with others as they hike past their areas.
      Following people you know while they hike is much more interactive than following strangers journals.
      I know only too well the pitfalls of over "publicizing" one's hike, but the succession of friends I met/made as I hiked was one of the main highlights of my trip.
      These friendships are a major factor in drawing me back in the next couple of years to meet people again with more time to chat and less pressure to move on.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Storm wrote:

Hemlock Hollow, 1 day north of Hot Springs

Fun place.
      Run by a very hard working woman, with a "do little" husband and two grown sons I think.
      Seem to recall thinking the 2 sons weren't the sharpest tools in the rack.....

Fred and Tilley, very nice people, didn't meet the sons. Fred shuttled me out and had a problem finding the bus station but we finally found it. They had moved it.

Storm wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Storm wrote:

Hemlock Hollow, 1 day north of Hot Springs

Fun place.
      Run by a very hard working woman, with a "do little" husband and two grown sons I think.
      Seem to recall thinking the 2 sons weren't the sharpest tools in the rack.....

Fred and Tilley, very nice people, didn't meet the sons. Fred shuttled me out and had a problem finding the bus station but we finally found it. They had moved it.

Yeah they were nice.
      Just remembered very much that the place was driven by her.
      I think she hinted it would go to kids soon and we all thought it wouldn't last without her.
      I learnt there what a root beer float was. Army had one.
      Here we call them "spiders" and use any soft drink (soda).
      Had one with lemonade. It was wonderful!!
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

Storm wrote:

Storm, that is awesome!!!
      I will not be able to catch you as I will not be getting to Newport, VA until first of July, I am sure you will long past there by then.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

She has been running it with her son. Hopefully he can get a good handle of the hostel and restaurant before she retires. .. A the beginning of Dec I went on a hike from Erwin - Hot Springs. I ended up hurting my hip and had to bail at those towers. I showed up after dark and her son gave me a shuttle to my vehicle in HS around 10 at night. I was much appreciated of that and not having to wait till morning. ... On a side note about her restaurant , this year you get what she makes for the day. With not enough help in the kitchen she can't keep up making different orders. So if the special is meatloaf......

Storm wrote:

Glad to hear about your hike and karma coming back around.

The wife and I went to do our taxes and we hit a bad road bump. Our taxes got kicked out. .. Last April our daughter passed and before we could file, someone stole her SS# and filed with it. So now we have to mail ours in, and wait till they can figure out who did the fraud. .. I sure do hope they tell me who stole my little girls #.

Dmax wrote:

Storm wrote:

Glad to hear about your hike and karma coming back around.

The wife and I went to do our taxes and we hit a bad road bump. Our taxes got kicked out. .. Last April our daughter passed and before we could file, someone stole her SS# and filed with it. So now we have to mail ours in, and wait till they can figure out who did the fraud. .. I sure do hope they tell me who stole my little girls #.

That makes me want to cuss.
      Lost in the right direction.