Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Whoa..........................Max, are you still on lock down?
      Banned forever with no chance of parole.
      My crime was saying that I was going to Millinocket and asking if the real hikers still went to the Appalachian Trail Cafe. :)
      The was the one downside of going right back to Shaw's instead of the AT Lodge after summiting. But I hadn't seen my wife in a month and half and had the chance to catch her in New York the next day. If I went to Millinocket and ate at AT Cafe I would have missed her for a few more days.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

Today I learned that the *13* letters of "eleven plus two" can be rearranged to spell "twelve plus one".

max.patch wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Banned forever with no chance of parole.
      My crime was saying that I was going to Millinocket and asking if the real hikers still went to the Appalachian Trail Cafe. :)
      HAHAHA......I meant you seem to have too much free time on your hands!!!!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Today I learned that the *13* letters of "eleven plus two" can be rearranged to spell "twelve plus one".

max.patch wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Banned forever with no chance of parole.My crime was saying that I was going to Millinocket and asking if the real hikers still went to the Appalachian Trail Cafe. :)
      HAHAHA......I meant you seem to have too much free time on your hands!!!!
      Not at all. Today is August 13...I'm so busy I missed Trumps Inauguration today.
      2,000 miler
    • Spending the weekend at the Lodge at Pere Marquette State Park in Illinois, overlooking the Illinois River just a couple miles from it's confluence with the Mississippi at Grafton.

The lodge is classic parkitecture, built of local stone and timber by the CCC in the early 1930's. Curiously empty. All of the Michigan parks are packed, although MI doesn't have any lodges in their parks. Won't have time to do much outdoor recreating. This is a family reunion trip. We will all drive up to Springfield tomorrow to hang out with my parents.

• IMScotty wrote:

The first time I saw him was in Boston. I had never heard of him, did not know who he was. He was the opening act for Nanci Griffith, another Austin musician. I'll tell you, he stole the show. The place was rocking, I was impressed. By the time Nanci came out, she actually seemed a little annoyed :) I made sure I picked up one of his CD's in the lobby on the way out and I was hooked.
      RIP Nanci Griffith, only 68.

I chose this one because I like Jimmy Buffett. :)

She wrote it, Kathy Mattea made it a hit.

2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• Max, I was so saddened to hear this news. I've seen Nanci G more than a half dozen times in concert. Early in her career when she toured Boston I got to see her in some very small venues.

At one of her Boston concerts Jerry Jeff Walker opened up for Nanci and he almost stole the show. Two great entertainers that I will sorely miss.

To hard to pick a favorite, but I'll offer up this one... Nanci had many fans in Ireland.

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Thats a good one. She had such a distinctive voice.

One more; she wrote it and I saw Maura O'Connell sing it in concert at my favorite small venue in Little 5 Points.

In concert she had a way of introducing her next song with such charming, folksy stories about her friends (Mary Margaret), family (she wrote this song about her Aunt and Uncle who were farmers), and places (The Woolworth five and dime).

Listening to her talk between the songs added greatly to the concert experience.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Hey, anyone remember me? It's been a while.
      When I told LIHikers that based upon your recommendation I had cat crap in my pack for my glasses, I believe he thought I was originally kidding.
      So despite your absence, you have been remembered. :)
      It's masterful branding - the name is certainly memorable!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Harvey Sutton, AKA "Little Man" completes 209 day AT thru hike last week, currently preparing for his next challenge which starts next week -- Kindergarten.

usatoday.com/story/travel/2021…rail-skittles/8236644002/
      I wonder if they will have "Show and Tell", or "What I did on my summer vacation" on his first day.
      lol, that would be awesome! Of course, no one except the teacher (maybe) will know what he's talking about.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Medicare is much more confusing than it should be. You don't just sign up for "Medicare". You have to choose between Old Medicare and New Medicare. If you choose Old Medicare then you also need to choose one of the supplement plans. If you choose New Medicare then you have to have to really read what they cover -- becasue every companies plan is different. Don't forget the drug plan -- if you choose Old Medicare you'll need to get one. If you choose New Medicare maybe you'll need one or maybe you won't - drugs may be included in the plan.

Medicare has a great drug plan analyzer. Put in your drugs and it will it tell you which of the plans is cheaper (drug costs plus premium) for you. Of course if you get a new prescription mid year it may be not be the cheapest any more. This is something you should check every year as there is no requirement to stay with the plan you initially selected. And even if you don't take any drugs, you should sign up for a drug plan (the cheapest you can find). Because if you don't you pay a penalty of 1% for every month you were uncovered forever.

When someone reaches 64 it's time to get educated.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Medicare is much more confusing than it should be. You don't just sign up for "Medicare". You have to choose between Old Medicare and New Medicare. If you choose Old Medicare then you also need to choose one of the supplement plans. If you choose New Medicare then you have to have to really read what they cover -- becasue every companies plan is different. Don't forget the drug plan -- if you choose Old Medicare you'll need to get one. If you choose New Medicare maybe you'll need one or maybe you won't - drugs may be included in the plan.

Medicare has a great drug plan analyzer. Put in your drugs and it will it tell you which of the plans is cheaper (drug costs plus premium) for you. Of course if you get a new prescription mid year it may be not be the cheapest any more. This is something you should check every year as there is no requirement to stay with the plan you initially selected. And even if you don't take any drugs, you should sign up for a drug plan (the cheapest you can find). Because if you don't you pay a penalty of 1% for every month you were uncovered forever.

In the next few years I am sure it will change some more. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Medicare is much more confusing than it should be. You don't just sign up for "Medicare". You have to choose between Old Medicare and New Medicare. If you choose Old Medicare then you also need to choose one of the supplement plans. If you choose New Medicare then you have to have to really read what they cover -- becasue every companies plan is different. Don't forget the drug plan -- if you choose Old Medicare you'll need to get one. If you choose New Medicare maybe you'll need one or maybe you won't - drugs may be included in the plan.

In the next few years I am sure it will change some more. :rolleyes:
      No doubt. I think the only thing that's guaranteed is that premiums -- no matter what option one chooses -- are not getting cheaper.
      2,000 miler
    • Meh. If she has a pulse and can show up to work on time, there are a few thousand employers that would hire her in a heartbeat.

My son did a stint one summer at Walmart unloading trucks. He didn't mind the physical effort, but the constant indoctrination by his manager caused him to look for another job. "Uhhh, you do understand that I'm doing this to earn money for college, not to work here full time."

Kid has a tremendous work ethic. In grad school, he was employed as a 'gopher' by his department and also worked during baseball season selling beers at the Durham Bulls ballpark. When Covid hit, both jobs were eliminated. Fortunately, he earned just enough to qualify for unemployment. Between Covid stimulus checks and the enhanced Federal unemployment benefits, he cleared ~$25K in 12 months. And unlike some folks, he used that money to pay his rent.

Now that he's a practicing PT, I gave him the bad news - someone is going to decide that he is not paying his fair share of taxes.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard