Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Muddywaters wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Most of us probably got the ATC email yesterday about the IPhone app that converts your daily steps into where you would be on a thru hike of the AT. $5 "donation". Not available for android..........
      I really dislike all the effort ATC is putting into squeezing money out of us. I'd consider not renewing our membership but we have a lifetime membership. I have stopped sending them additional donations though.
      This is a copy of an email I sent to the ATC president in March after I could no longer justify sending them $50 for their ever increasing membership dues.Sandi,
      I have been a member of the ATC for over 40 years. Your minimum membership fee has increased beyond all reasonable bounds. I can no longer afford to be a member of the ATC. I believe your organization really needs to rethink your minimum contribution level. It would be better to have many members of the ATC than just a privileged few.
      Sincerely,
      Scott Stimpson

I never did receive a reply, just more automated requests for money.

Back in the 1970's when I called the ATC headquarters looking for information Jean Cashin was so kind and happy to chat with me. She would go above and beyond, mail me extra information, and never asked for anything in return. I was proud to sign up as a member of an organization run by people like her. This year after all these years, I finally let my membership lapse. There seems to be a different group of people running the AT Conference Conservancy now.
      Your email was nicer than mine....
      I basically told them that one of the political stances they took made me want to vomit and I would never again give them a single penny, and that they should go fornicate with themselves.

And no, they didn't take me off the list I still get emails asking for money......

The ATC is no longer what it used to be, or it should be.
      The ATC wanted the whole trail closed due to covid. Like its their trail.......without any good reason for such. Then out of pettiness they're not giving any certificates this year to any finisher....... Or putting their name on a ......list..... Wait a minute did these people walk the whole trail what's the problem? The problem is the ATC didn't give them permission to o.......plain and simple. And like a petulant child, they're throwing a tantrum.
      I share your sentiment, but my email to them was a little milder also. I just hope they pay attention and realize they are alienating their long time customers and financial supporters, and have a recipe for failure and eventually bankruptcy if they are counting on their new target market to replace us.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I'm still pissed at myself for not letting the young lady from CO take a shot of me at McAfee when I went past there...I'm going back there some time in this next year with no other purpose than to get a shot...and maybe eat at the Homeplace which I also missed.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

Fond memories of eating at Homeplace with Hiker Mom and Deer Hunter. :thumbup:

when were you there. I seem to recall Hiker Mom said you were there just a couple weeks
      Is hiker mom still around? Seemed like a real sweet lady from her posting, miss her.
      She recently had achilles tendon surgery, and appears to be happy now that she is cast and boot free.
    • The article mentions that ease of access is the problem, but then it ignores that as a potential solution. You could close the road or just designate no parking and allow an eager entrepreneur the right to tow every car. They can get the car back after they pay the fine (nfs $) and the towing fee. This way you are not punishing the long distance hikers. But a prohibition on camping above the tree line (like the Whites) makes sense too.
    • Foreword: I saw the camping prohibition mentioned on the Forest Service website. I saw later when the prohibition was removed. Everything else comes from the internet and is unverified by me.

For the longest time hikers knew that camping on top of Max Patch was prohibited becasue the Forest Service said it was. This was repeated and repeated -- including by me -- and became common knowledge. One hiker didn't believe this to be true -- regardless what the FS website said -- and asked to see the Official Order prohibiting camping on the bald. Turns out it didn't exist. Never happened. A well meaning but overzealous employee added the camping prohibition to the FS website. The no camping statement from the FS website was removed. I guess this explains why there never was any signage at Max Patch stating no camping on the bald.

Somewhere that well meaning guy or gal is saying "I told you so..." :)

The hiker who asked to see the Order was suspicious as he lives in the NE and says the FS does this type of stuff routinely in the Whites.
      2,000 miler
    • RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65, cancer. Co-founder of the group (I really don't have to say the name do I?) although I believe an argument could made is that his greatest accomplishment was convincing Valerie Bertinelli to marry him. Was a heavy smoker, yet he blamed his tongue cancer on holding a metal pick in his mouth while performing.

Have to admit I wasn't a fan of the group, but I had to mention it becasue of Valerie (Barbra Cooper!) and the metal pick controversy.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• While David Lee Roth was probably more talented (at least vocally), he was such a prima donna, I felt like Sammy Hagar was much more of a team player and would have been fun to hang out with. Was surprised that Eddie Van Halen didn't get along with Sammy near the end. Perhaps Eddie was a prima donna too. Besides all the Van Halen albums, Eddie's best work was probably Beat It with Michael Jackson.
    • I learned the hard way that you can't blend a spoon in your Vitamix (obviously an accident).

Replacement part ordered. Got an email this afternoon from Amazon -- expected delivery 8:45 PM - 10:00 PM. 10:00 PM! I really coulda waited til tomorrow. The truck left the facility to begin deliveries at 10:30 AM. That's a long day for the delivery guy.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I learned the hard way that you can't blend a spoon in your Vitamix (obviously an accident).

Replacement part ordered. Got an email this afternoon from Amazon -- expected delivery 8:45 PM - 10:00 PM. 10:00 PM! I really coulda waited til tomorrow. The truck left the facility to begin deliveries at 10:30 AM. That's a long day for the delivery guy.
      I’ve had my daughters vitamix all summer and I’m worried that I’ve ruined the blades by grinding wheat berries. There’s a shortage of grain mills right now. I kept waiting to buy one because they’re so expensive but waited too long and now regret it.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

I learned the hard way that you can't blend a spoon in your Vitamix (obviously an accident).

Hey, at least he is getting paid. :)
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I’ve had my daughters vitamix all summer and I’m worried that I’ve ruined the blades by grinding wheat berries. There’s a shortage of grain mills right now. I kept waiting to buy one because they’re so expensive but waited too long and now regret it.
      I am sure somewhere along the way roles were reversed. She will probably show you the same grace you showed her. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

I've been wanting to buy a vintage Vitamix. One of the old ones that were all beautiful stainless steel. Every time one comes up on Craigslist or elsewhere at a fair price, it is gone before I can pull the trigger. Still looking.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • This is why with four children I was always extra cautious when taking them places. We lived all over the world in four different continents (and multiple weeks in a fifth) and saw a lot of different things, but always need to diligent in new surroundings.

amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org…ational-park%2Findex.html
    • Astro wrote:

This is why with four children I was always extra cautious when taking them places. We lived all over the world in four different continents (and multiple weeks in a fifth) and saw a lot of different things, but always need to diligent in new surroundings.
      The child was lucky. The outcome is sometimes much worse.

google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardi…body-dissolved-hot-spring
    • Astro wrote:

I hope everyone has a great Columbus Day! :)
      Just back from the usual Columbus Day weekend trip top the White Mountains, and I have to tell you it was pretty spectacular. With the wife so not really a hiking weekend. We stay in one of the old roadside cabins with tilted floors, cold showers, and furnishings from the 60's. Just the way we like it.

The weather this weekend was perfect. Nippy nights to let you know winter is going to mean business, but sunny cool days with rare perfect views of the presidential peaks. Plenty of cars at the trailheads. Reports were of some ice above timberline with some hikers turning back because they had not packed micro spikes. The foliage is a bit past peak north of the notches, but still beautiful. I'll post a few pictures latter.

Coming home today through Franconia notch was gorgeous. Again, past peak, but the trees that were left were all burnt orange. Picture Franconia Notch all burnt orange! I did not take any photos of that, just enjoyed it. Peak is probably around southern NH right now. There were some pretty spectacular maples along the highway. It should be peak in my town by next weekend, so my plan next week is to just enjoy the show in my own backyard.

My dream someday if I ever retire is to chase the fall foliage south from Canada to Georgia.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • odd man out wrote:

I'm more familiar with the Bob Dylan and Arlo Guthrie versions. I always assumed one of them wrote it.
      I would say just another case of a couple of Yankees getting credit for the work of a Southner, but actually Jerry Jeff was born in New York (like Guthrie, at least the state but not the city). ;)
      It is just that most of his career was in the Austin, TX music scene.
    • I was lucky enough to see Jerry Jeff Walker a couple of times. He was a great showman. He does a much better version of Mr. Bojangles that is slower and more heartfelt. Check out this version from his "Great Gonzo" album.

The whole album is worth a listen...

John Greenleaf Whittier