Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• BirdBrain wrote:

Well, obviously blocking users does not help. As a last ditch effort, I attempted to filter out some of the verbal diarrhea this way. It is obvious that I cannot shut my mouth to the boorish and childish usage of the f word. As such, I would like someone to delete my account. I looked into it and cannot find a way to do it on my own. I love this community. It has been a tremendous asset to me. I have learned so much. Thank you. I will be back in about a month. If my account is still active at that point, I will be reducing every post to dots and deleting everything I can. I would rather not have that access. Enjoy the cesspool. I don't see the attraction or the need for it. I do not see how it adds to anything. However, there is an answer. I don't have to be part of it. After it is read, feel free to delete this post too. I don't see how it can have any lasting edification.

Wolf... you have so much to offer. I have learned much from you. I believe you have a good heart. you certainly have a common sense approach to hiking. You have changed my outlook on many things. You have convinced me of much. Thank you. You just need to not be such a pig with you language... in my parting opinion.
      wtf are you talkin' about?
    • Da Wolf wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Well, obviously blocking users does not help. As a last ditch effort, I attempted to filter out some of the verbal diarrhea this way. It is obvious that I cannot shut my mouth to the boorish and childish usage of the f word. As such, I would like someone to delete my account. I looked into it and cannot find a way to do it on my own. I love this community. It has been a tremendous asset to me. I have learned so much. Thank you. I will be back in about a month. If my account is still active at that point, I will be reducing every post to dots and deleting everything I can. I would rather not have that access. Enjoy the cesspool. I don't see the attraction or the need for it. I do not see how it adds to anything. However, there is an answer. I don't have to be part of it. After it is read, feel free to delete this post too. I don't see how it can have any lasting edification.

Wolf... you have so much to offer. I have learned much from you. I believe you have a good heart. you certainly have a common sense approach to hiking. You have changed my outlook on many things. You have convinced me of much. Thank you. You just need to not be such a pig with you language... in my parting opinion.
      wtf are you talkin' about?

I hope that F in the WTF doesn't stand for what I think it does!!

Some people might get their panties up in a bunch!
      RIAP
    • Well....that was untimely, lol.

BB, I'll be the first to admit that my language is not up to your standards. Some will say the use of such language is merely a reflection of one's lack of maturity or education and they may be right, who knows. I'm sure it's a reflection of something, I'm just not sure what exactly. I will say this though, cussing is the only vice I have left. Can I do without it? Absolutely, I do so most of the day in my professional life as a necessity. However, much like some like to have a drink and some like to smoke pot as their release, I cuss. Is it childish and boorish? perhaps, but it brings me back to where I need to be.

Heck, if you would have heard what I said to this stupid computer 45 minutes ago............woof, it was bad. Real bad. I could wax poetic about how you're better off showing people the way than you are telling them the way, but at the end of the day all I really want to ask is what's more childish and boorish, dropping an F-bomb or coming back in a month and reducing all your posts to dots (10 minimum, btw, found that out the hard way....in fact, I would just do it once and then copy and paste the 10 dots)? IMHO, neither. They're both signs of a lack of restraint. Some can't stop cussing and some can't just leave if they know they have access to return. Heck, in that respect you're no different than an addict.

It is certainly not my place to tell you leave and that is absolutely NOT what I'm doing. All I'm saying is you have to live and let live. You've made your stance on this clear and I would be willing to bet that the majority, if not all, respect that enough not to let fly in your threads, but ya gotta give a little in their threads.

Now I gotta go figure out what's up with this quote feature thingy so I can quote traffic jam and tell my reefer v moon story :thumbup:
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • It's just cussin'.
      I abhor violence.
      I swear all the time.
      I swear little in print but when I do I do it as reflection of my thoughts.
      I think we have a lot to worry about before some anglosaxon heritage needs to be our major concern.
      Stop violence in the name of any religion and then talk to me about my language.
      And for the record, blasphemy draws a null with me. Silliest notion in the world that an omnipotent being needs humans to act on his/her behalf in order to stop it being offended by words.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

It's just cussin'.
      I abhor violence.
      I swear all the time.
      I swear little in print but when I do I do it as reflection of my thoughts.
      I think we have a lot to worry about before some anglosaxon heritage needs to be our major concern.
      Stop violence in the name of any religion and then talk to me about my language.
      And for the record, blasphemy draws a null with me. Silliest notion in the world that an omnipotent being needs humans to act on his/her behalf in order to stop it being offended by words.

And now it works again.......hmmmmmmmm, I'll not type what I'm thinking right now, but, in response to the above qouted passage, I say, "what he said".
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm going to go gaze at the moon. Have ya'll seen that gorgeous moon? Stop thinking about weed for a few minutes and take a look. :)

BAM! (I did nothing different....the software is testing my resolve).

Many moons ago (see what I did there?) I used to go deer hunting on this property in Ohio. Some rather heinous things took place there from a game law standpoint and after several years I simply did not feel comfortable going there anymore. The first year I failed to go they got raided one evening and my cousin's husband (whose father owned the property) ran. Like any good LEO's DNR knew what was what before they ever set foot on the property so they knew he was missing. They told his Dad when he came back to give them a call and if they hadn't heard back by in the morning they would find him and haul his butt off to jail.

About 4am he comes straggling back in talking about how the helicopter had finally left and he made it back in without getting seen....it was the moon, they didn't use a helicopter, lol.....

Damn, that just doesn't read as funny as it really was, but even after 23 years I still don't feel comfortable giving all the details. Suffice it say there were over $15K in fines written that night and all involved lost hunting priveledges for 3 years.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Well isn't that just fu(king special?

Foresight wrote:

Some will say the use of such language is merely a reflection of one's lack of maturity or education

I call bullsh!t. I joke about being immature but it's just that, joking. I use profanity because I like it. As for education, I may only have a high school diploma but I'm a damn sight more intelligent than a lot of people I know with multiple degrees. Some people have a stick up their ass, some of us don't. Profanity is just words.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • CoachLou wrote:

I must admit that Grinder, Da Wolf and my vocabulary, were all studied and Mastered at The University of Parris Island..........we have our own special dialect. finger.gif

I was pretty fluent prior to stepping on the yellow footprints. The Corps only gave me a better appreciation of the art. :P
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • CoachLou wrote:

but listening to a squad sitting around drinking and talkin' is pure music.

Truth.

CoachLou wrote:

It could make ISIS chop their own heads off

You may be onto something for a new strategy! Send a few platoons of junior Marines over and just have them get into bull sessions around ISIS.
    • Grinder wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Truth.

CoachLou wrote:

You may be onto something for a new strategy! Send a few platoons of junior Marines over and just have them get into bull sessions around ISIS.

Maybe 4/5 Regiments with tanks and air support :thumbsup:

Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Grinder wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Truth.

CoachLou wrote:

That's a hellofa better strategy than the one we now have......does anyone know what it is?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Why can some people post numerous pics of other people in seconds but can't post a single pic of themselves in years?
      If they have a reason for not posting their own pic then under the principles of "do unto others...etc", they shouldn't post pics of others.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Why can some people post numerous pics of other people in seconds but can't post a single pic of themselves in years?
      If they have a reason for not posting their own pic then under the principles of "do unto others...etc", they shouldn't post pics of others.

my summit photo was my avatar for a couple months. not my fault you missed it.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Why can some people post numerous pics of other people in seconds but can't post a single pic of themselves in years?

And it is no longer...
      Why?
      23 pixels too many?
      Someone might remember you and call you on the purity of your hike?
    • OzJacko wrote:

max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

And it is no longer...
      Why?
      23 pixels too many?
      Someone might remember you and call you on the purity of your hike?

found a cyber hiker photo

[IMG:https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10981748_917942521569464_7577199462996107527_n.jpg?oh=328d5d3c6e8f2b0dcf5311bc567a4c3d&oe=55910EA3&__gda__=1433980617_4854306662c4b85951bf58e7e74b6f3e]
      its all good
    • I would like to apologize for some of my recent posts.
      When I hiked the AT in 2013 I went through a pretty tough spell mentally. The hurt i felt from several sources cut deeply. Two of them have always particularly galled me for their holier than thou attitude coupled with a very high degree of anonymity.
      I found when people found out that I was candid about not having hiked every white blaze, they invariably admitted their own "deviations".
      I only knew 3 people who I could say were "pure". In my opinion, one nearly killed himself on Mt Washington maintaining his purity, and I delighted in pointing out to the other two that by hiking a portion under reconstruction instead of the official deviation they had not walked the official trail as it was that day.
      And I didn't actually like their personalities either.
      So I will continue to dislike lectures from those that despite all their protestations of adhering to the principle of HYOH, really interpret it the way my daughter described it... "Hail Your Own Holiness".
      I am glad only one of those PIA's from 2013 followed me here.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I would like to apologize for some of my recent posts.
      When I hiked the AT in 2013 I went through a pretty tough spell mentally. The hurt i felt from several sources cut deeply. Two of them have always particularly galled me for their holier than thou attitude coupled with a very high degree of anonymity.
      I found when people found out that I was candid about not having hiked every white blaze, they invariably admitted their own "deviations".
      I only knew 3 people who I could say were "pure". In my opinion, one nearly killed himself on Mt Washington maintaining his purity, and I delighted in pointing out to the other two that by hiking a portion under reconstruction instead of the official deviation they had not walked the official trail as it was that day.
      And I didn't actually like their personalities either.
      So I will continue to dislike lectures from those that despite all their protestations of adhering to the principle of HYOH, really interpret it the way my daughter described it... "Hail Your Own Holiness".
      I am glad only one of those PIA's from 2013 followed me here.

Every time I hear one of your hiking stories I think, damn he knows how to have fun. And I'm jealous.
      Lost in the right direction.