Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Ice Cleats

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm wondering what everyone uses in the winter.

I understand that some of the answers will be over kill for us down here in the south. We usually just have ice shoots like Laurrie had in her picture this week.

I'm looking for something that can handle the ice, then be taken right back off.
      They need to be able to fit on trail runners, not boots.
      Since the start of last winter I've been trying to find a hiking review on the Runs by Yaktraks. I've read all the bad reviews on the sidewalk model, but these seem much different.

So, if anyone uses trails runners, which kind do you use?

Please tell what kind you wear.
      What terrain it's good for.
      and Any problems with the ones you now wear.
      If you were to switch, which ones would you get?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dmax ().

• Micro spikes are easy to put on and take off. Not sure how well they'll work on trail runners. I was out yesterday in a pair of Vasque Breeze and they were fine on those. Vasque Breeze are a high-top fabric boot. There's no way we could have done yesterday's hike without the spikes. As usual coming down off the mountain was trickier than going up, particularly on the icy patches.
    • Advantage to Stabilicers: You can replace the cleats.
      Disadvantage to Stabilicers: You have to replace the cleats. Carry a few extra, and the tool to insert them, because on any trip longer than a few miles, you stand the risk of losing one or two.

Yaktrax are horrible, The spring wire doesn't hold up to rock, and the rubber inside the spring is even worse. Yaktrak Extreme XTR are the only ones I'd consider, but they're a cheap knockoff of Microspikes and not nearly as well made. Compare the two in the store, and the difference is obvious.

I strongly prefer Microspikes. They're bombproof. They work well on trail runners, that's usually the combination I walk to work in when it's icy out. Hillsound trail crampons are also quite good, although I haven't tried them on trail runners.

I live in Microspikes in the winter, use them for everything from shoveling my driveway to walking to work on an icy bike path in town to hard ice when the trail isn't scrambly. They eat ice like this for breakfast.
      [IMG:https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2839/13524430555_05c4abea96_z.jpg]
      Hiking the abandoned road by ke9tv, on Flickr

Beyond that, you're getting into gear that's generally overkill for the South. If you're going to do serious winter hiking Up North, you need snowshoes - ideally ones built for mountains (I use MSR Lightning Ascent), poles, a general mountaineering ice axe (mine's a Black Diamond Raven), and full 10- or 12-point crampons (like the Black Diamond Contact or the Grivel G12), and a snow shovel. The snowshoe and crampon bindings both need fairly stiff boots - I usually use either my Big Clunky Leather Construction-Worker Boots, or my Sorel pac boots. Clip-on crampons need mountaineering boots, but I have strap-on ones. The outfitters will be glad to sell you a $60 snow shovel, that's maybe half an ounce lighter than the $8 one from the job lot store. Guess which one I use. :)

If you're between sizes on the Microspikes, get the smaller. They run big.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Advantage to Stabilicers: You can replace the cleats.
      Disadvantage to Stabilicers: You have to replace the cleats. Carry a few extra, and the tool to insert them, because on any trip longer than a few miles, you stand the risk of losing one or two.

I've never lost a spike from my stabilicers, if that means anything.
      They weren't hard to replace at home, with good tools.
    • Katoola Microspikes are by far the best traction device I've found for mild to moderate snow and Ice. I use them for everything from shoveling my drive way to multiday backpacking. Basically if it can't be done in microspikes, then full crampons are probably necessary.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Next question...

when do you wear microspikes? Do you wear them in packed snow without ice? What about packed snow with occasional ice on rocks? Do you put them on and leave them or take them off when you pass the icy parts?

If it is just snow I'll leave them off. Once they go on I'm reluctant to take them off because I'd have to stop. I'll take them off if I think it's going to be clear for a while. I'm almost always wrong.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Next question...

when do you wear microspikes? Do you wear them in packed snow without ice? What about packed snow with occasional ice on rocks? Do you put them on and leave them or take them off when you pass the icy parts?

If it is just snow I'll leave them off. Once they go on I'm reluctant to take them off because I'd have to stop. I'll take them off if I think it's going to be clear for a while. I'm almost always wrong.

You're doing it almost always wrong.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Next question...

If it's just packed snow I might go without. As soon as there's significant ice I'll put them on and they'll probably stay on. Only takes a moment or two to put them on or take them off, but I don't do that very often.
    • Rasty wrote:

I'm interested in these also

icespike.com/store/index.html

They look like screw shoes, rebranded. #6 x 3/8 hex head sheet metal screws make great ice cleats, if you don't mind the damage done by screwing them into your boot soles. (Round, oval or pan head, not so good. The corners of the hex head are what bite.)

TrafficJam wrote:

How do you carry microspikes? Is there a case that protects your pack or do most people hang them off the pack?

I hang them off the pack, or stick them in a mesh pocket, or stuff them in a plastic bag (even a newspaper bag) and put them in the pack. They're not so sharp that they poke through things, and it's easy to fold them over with the points facing inward. If I'm doing winter mountaineering, they can go in the crampon bag along with the crampons, of course.

TrafficJam wrote:

Once I decide that I need them, I tend to put them on and leave them on. Wearing them on rock damages them slightly (wear on the points). Failing to wear them on ice can damage me severely. They don't do much good in loose snow. I take them off if I find that I'm walking with snowballs on my boots.

A note on technique: In a pinch, you can microspike up a moderate slope that might otherwise require crampons by using the French climbing technique called pied en canard. Turn your feet out to the side, so that you're almost waddling like a duck. (Turn out with your hips, not just with your ankles. Pull your butt in under you as you turn.) Plant your uphill foot on the slope turned out, and roll your ankle so that both rows of spikes are engaged with the ice. Concentrate on keeping your body vertical (do NOT lean into the slope) and your weight centered over your load-bearing foot. Balance with a pole held to one side. (On crampons, you do this with your ice axe, piolet en canne). This technique takes practice. Do it with a top rope or some place where you won't get hurt if you go arse-over-teakettle. But it's astonishing how much traction you get if all the spikes are on the ice.

I suppose that in an emergency, I could try to tackle an even steeper slope pied à plat, but by the time things are that steep, I want full crampons and an ice axe. I suppose you could plant a pole, piolet ramasse, but I'd worry that the side loading would break it. I'd try this one only after already having made the decision to bail out.

Oh, and pardon my French. I learnt this stuff from French-Canadians. I don't even know the English names for some of the crampon and ice axe positions.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

They look like screw shoes, rebranded. #6 x 3/8 hex head sheet metal screws make great ice cleats, if you don't mind the damage done by screwing them into your boot soles. (Round, oval or pan head, not so good. The corners of the hex head are what bite.)

TrafficJam wrote:

How do you carry microspikes? Is there a case that protects your pack or do most people hang them off the pack?

I hang them off the pack, or stick them in a mesh pocket, or stuff them in a plastic bag (even a newspaper bag) and put them in the pack. They're not so sharp that they poke through things, and it's easy to fold them over with the points facing inward. If I'm doing winter mountaineering, they can go in the crampon bag along with the crampons, of course.

TrafficJam wrote:

Once I decide that I need them, I tend to put them on and leave them on. Wearing them on rock damages them slightly (wear on the points). Failing to wear them on ice can damage me severely. They don't do much good in loose snow. I take them off if I find that I'm walking with snowballs on my boots.

A note on technique: In a pinch, you can microspike up a moderate slope that might otherwise require crampons by using the French climbing technique called pied en canard. Turn your feet out to the side, so that you're almost waddling like a duck. (Turn out with your hips, not just with your ankles. Pull your butt in under you as you turn.) Plant your uphill foot on the slope turned out, and roll your ankle so that both rows of spikes are engaged with the ice. Concentrate on keeping your body vertical (do NOT lean into the slope) and your weight centered over your load-bearing foot. Balance with a pole held to one side. (On crampons, you do this with your ice axe, piolet en canne). This technique takes practice. Do it with a top rope or some place where you won't get hurt if you go arse-over-teakettle. But it's astonishing how much traction you get if all the spikes are on the ice.

I suppose that in an emergency, I could try to tackle an even steeper slope pied à plat, but by the time things are that steep, I want full crampons and an ice axe. I suppose you could plant a pole, piolet ramasse, but I'd worry that the side loading would break it. I'd try this one only after already having made the decision to bail out.

Oh, and pardon my French. I learnt this stuff from French-Canadians. I don't even know the English names for some of the crampon and ice axe positions.

im just grateful you didnt learn from ancient romans, and the terms werent in latin
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

im just grateful you didnt learn from ancient romans, and the terms werent in latin

AK isn't that old is he?? My daughter is taking Latin in HS... I told her all you need to learn is pig Latin.

Speaking of French-Canadians, I learned recently the term "Canuck" is apparently a derogatory term for French-Canadians..I never knew this...you learn something every day!
      RIAP
    • I like the ice spike concept other than ensuring access to a spare boot pair. I've modified boots in the past using sheet metal screws but found fast wear and frequent screw loss (no pun intended) a problem.

The Kahtoola micro spikes appeal for easy install/removal and apparent durability.

I've used a less durable set of removeable spikes in the past (don't recall the name) and as the manufacter warned found the slightest contact with bare rock would cut the rubber harness.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

My wife and I both have stabilicers and have good success with them. Of course we don't do any "real" winter hiking.

I don't know what constitutes 'real' winter for most of the people here. The last time I was out hiking was a couple of weeks ago. I brought ascent snowshoes, ski poles, full crampons, ice axe, and Microspikes - and used them all. And I wore Microspikes for my walk to work today. Then again, I live Up North.
    • Winter hike for me means you need to wear wool cap, gloves, layers, and bring the 20* bag.
      The kind of stuff some of you northerners do is beyond my current perception of a good time, but I do admire you for it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

Winter hike for me means you need to wear wool cap, gloves, layers, and bring the 20* bag.
      The kind of stuff some of you northerners do is beyond my current perception of a good time, but I do admire you for it. :)

Yes, but it is what we live with, so it's not soooo bad. You won't catch me down south in the heat of July/ August!

When I finally finish my section hike of the AT in a few years it will be over 90% in those two months. This year I am planning for close to 7 weeks in July/August. Not that I would mind Apr, May, June, Sep, and Oct, that is just how my current work schedule is. I guess if I had something worth writing about in the end I could call it "Walking with Summer".
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Not that I would mind Apr, May, June, Sep, and Oct, that is just how my current work schedule is. I guess if I had something worth writing about in the end I could call it "Walking with Summer".

Mid-May to mid-June is when I like to hike anywhere but here (if I get the chance). It's blackfly season.