Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Friday Night Movie...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• socks wrote:

Between shovelin' duty today, I'm makin' a mole' with pacillos, mulatos, anchos, raisins, sunflower seed (cause I don't pumkin) sessame treats (cause i'm all outta sessamee seeds) not sure about this last one, and will add towards end of cooking so as not to burn the sugar and make it bitter) any thoughts on this last one all you chefs. and about 15-20 other things...just wingin' it basically.
      I understand you're going to have a TON of shovel tomorrow! They've postponed the MSU vs Rutgers bball game that was scheduled for tomorrow night due to the snowstorm.
    • Trillium wrote:

socks wrote:

Between shovelin' duty today, I'm makin' a mole' with pacillos, mulatos, anchos, raisins, sunflower seed (cause I don't pumkin) sessame treats (cause i'm all outta sessamee seeds) not sure about this last one, and will add towards end of cooking so as not to burn the sugar and make it bitter) any thoughts on this last one all you chefs. and about 15-20 other things...just wingin' it basically.
      I understand you're going to have a TON of shovel tomorrow! They've postponed the MSU vs Rutgers bball game that was scheduled for tomorrow night due to the snowstorm.
      yeah know I normally wouldn't even know what MSU is but for watching the last 10 mins. of play the other day against George town ( if memory serves) best 10 mins. of baseball I ever saw. did you see it?
    • socks wrote:

Trillium wrote:

yeah know I normally wouldn't even know what MSU is but for watching the last 10 mins. of play the other day against George town ( if memory serves) best 10 mins. of baseball I ever saw. did you see it?
      ok, in my world, bball stands for basketball and Michigan State University last played Georgetown in basketball on the day before the Superbowl last year. If that is the game you are referring to, then yes, I definitely saw it (since college basketball and most specifically Spartan basketball, is my passion).
    • Well, it's Friday night and here I sit reading the board instead of being out footloose and fancy free. But I'm also watching Michigan State HOCKEY (all caps to get Coach's interest). The Spartans are playing the stinky wolverines. It's tied up 1-1 at the 2nd intermission. C'mon Icers, put the puck in the net!
    • Trillium wrote:

Well, it's Friday night and here I sit reading the board instead of being out footloose and fancy free. But I'm also watching Michigan State HOCKEY (all caps to get Coach's interest). The Spartans are playing the stinky wolverines. It's tied up 1-1 at the 2nd intermission. C'mon Icers, put the puck in the net!
      Yeah basketball that was it...but seriously it was a great game went into overtime, like 60 to 61 or somethin...i thought it was MSU is there another team that played Sunday before last....best game I ever saw.
    • Trillium wrote:

socks wrote:

Yeah basketball that was it...but seriously it was a great game went into overtime, like 60 to 61 or somethin...i thought it was MSU is there another team that played Sunday before last....best game I ever saw.
      Georgetown played at Providence on Saturday, January 10 and lost 60-57 in OT.
      kmaybe that wS it, buch a three point shots and one that got called a two pointer at the three point line was overturned as I recall... Anyhow, 'twas a good game.
    • Tonight I took my wife to the local mall-based Cinema (twenty screens) to see 'Nomadland.' I do not normally go to malls, have not been to one in over a year, so I was not prepared for just how devastated this once thriving location has become since the pandemic. It was an absolute ghost town. Almost none of the businesses bothered to open at 6 PM on a Saturday night. Many have shuttered permanently.

The movie played in one of their IMAX theaters. The room was the size of a a small airplane hanger. There was only one other person in the auditorium with us to see this newly released Oscar contending movie on a Saturday night.

I've come to realize there will be no 'getting back to normal' after this. Most of these businesses will be gone. It was nice to have a date with my wife, the movie was good, but the experience this evening leaves me sad.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Tonight I took my wife to the local mall-based Cinema (twenty screens) to see 'Nomadland.' I do not normally go to malls, have not been to one in over a year, so I was not prepared for just how devastated this once thriving location has become since the pandemic. It was an absolute ghost town. Almost none of the businesses bothered to open at 6 PM on a Saturday night. Many have shuttered permanently.

The movie played in one of their IMAX theaters. The room was the size of a a small airplane hanger. There was only one other person in the auditorium with us to see this newly released Oscar contending movie on a Saturday night.

I've come to realize there will be no 'getting back to normal' after this. Most of these businesses will be gone. It was nice to have a date with my wife, the movie was good, but the experience this evening leaves me sad.
      Very possible, if my experience is typical, that Covid just sped up what was going to happen anyway eventually. The only time I've gone to a mall in the last 10 years was to either to buy yard equipment (lawnmower, string trimmer, leaf blower) from Sears. But then again I dislike shopping. Costco is able satisfy most of my shopping needs; with the exception of outdoor gear.

I enjoy going to the movies, but one has to wonder how long a business model based on selling over priced concessions can last. The theaters are usually empty, save for the occasional blockbuster. I enjoy theaters that offer real food and drink, but that does not end up being a cheap evening out.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about Nomadland. I have a subscription to Hulu (5.99 a month after an introductory price of $1.00 a month for a year) which right now has Nomadland available for viewing. Of course, thats part of the problem with the theaters being empty for the most part.
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

Tonight I took my wife to the local mall-based Cinema (twenty screens) to see 'Nomadland.'
      Watched it a couple nights ago on Hulu; enjoyed it.

Read this morning that it won the Golden Globe for best movie; drama. Frances McDormand was nominated but did not win for best actress.

So I've now seen both Golden Globes best movie winners.
      2,000 miler
    • My wife and I try to see all the Oscar contenders every year so we can place our votes in. We are way behind this year, but fortunately the Oscars have been postponed until April.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Finally got around to watching the movie 'Maine.' With a 35% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes I was not expecting much. This story about 'Pink Blazing' kept my interest. I can see why many disliked this movie; it is frustratingly ambiguous. But life is often like that, and the characters seemed real to me. The lead actress was great at conveying emotion without a word. So I offer not a recommendation, but not a pan either.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Thanks for the reminder, that's on my IMDB watch list. 5.1/10 rating there.

Even if the movie isn't any good, I enjoy looking for places that I remember as well as obvious errors.
      Everything I recognized was shot in VA

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Even if the movie isn't any good, I enjoy looking for places that I remember as well as obvious errors.
      VA is not Maine.
      Believe me I know, it took me 8 years from when I entered VA to when I officially walked across the NH/ME border. I wish Maine was as easy as VA. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Then I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess we've got ponies. :)
      Which make's it a Western!
      Alan Arkin in Argo when they are picking a script for their make-believe movie.. "If it's got horses, it's a western".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Unfortunately I spent 1.5 hours watching Maine. At least it was free on Tubi.

Very inaccurate, why do you need to catch a hitch into Daleville? Trail goes right through it. Next she is at a hotel that looks like Pearisburg. At least one of the shelters doesn't look like anything I saw, but I will admit one looked new and could have been added in the past 8 years.

As far as recommending I would not even though free, unless you are retired or really bored and have plenty of free time.
    • I watched Maine this evening.

Although I normally don't like hiking movies, I thought I just might like this one. Unfortunately, I didn't.

I did like the performance of Laia Costa aka Bluebird.

Being purposely vague so as to not write a spoiler, I don't believe the decision Bluebird made near the end of the movie was even remotely realistic. But that's on the writer, not the actress.
      2,000 miler
    • Max, I agree she was good at her craft. There was a scene where 'Lake' was playing the guitar, and it was interesting to watch as a series of different emotions washed over her face without a word being said.

As to the realism of her actions, I've known enough emotionally damaged woman people to say anything is possible.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • A Mount Washington 'Hiker Rescue' movie has been made...

boston.com/culture/entertainme…n-rescue/?p1=hp_secondary

I am familiar enough with the actual story that somehow I do not feel the need to see the movie version of this one. First Cafe member who does see it, feel free to post a review.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

A Mount Washington 'Hiker Rescue' movie has been made...

I am familiar enough with the actual story that somehow I do not feel the need to see the movie version of this one. First Cafe member who does see it, feel free to post a review.
      It's a great story. What's weird? it wasn't filmed in the Whites, but in Slovenia
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

A Mount Washington 'Hiker Rescue' movie has been made...

It's a great story. What's weird? it wasn't filmed in the Whites, but in Slovenia
      Probably cheaper lodging. Have you stayed in a Hut recently? :D