Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Better Socks for hiking.... Smart on Dollars.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• while in Hamburg? I bought a pair of Cabelas merino wool socks . They have a lifetime guarantee and are specifically made one for the right foot and one for the left. So far I really like them. They are holding up well and no stink and comfy.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I agree. I put my socks through some serious abuse and have zero expectations that they will last forever. I do expect them to hold up a reasonable amount of time and I think it is awesome that Darn Tough has a lifetime guarantee. However, I will most likely not use it unless I happen to purchase a defective pair of socks. That would be figured out pretty fast - Just like when the Smartwool socks started falling off my feet after only a couple of hikes.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • jimmyjam wrote:

while in Hamburg? I bought a pair of Cabelas merino wool socks . They have a lifetime guarantee and are specifically made one for the right foot and one for the left. So far I really like them. They are holding up well and no stink and comfy.
      You have me curious - Do they have a big "L" and a big "R" on each sock? :D
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

while in Hamburg? I bought a pair of Cabelas merino wool socks . They have a lifetime guarantee and are specifically made one for the right foot and one for the left. So far I really like them. They are holding up well and no stink and comfy.
      L = loser
      R = reject
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

L = loserR = reject
      Now, just how are your feet ever going to have any self esteem with names like Loser and Reject?!?!
    • Rasty wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

L = loserR = reject
      i was thinking "liberal" and "republican".most of us have a little bit of both. some lean so far to one side, they find themselves running in circles.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

L = loserR = reject
      i was thinking "liberal" and "republican".most of us have a little bit of both. some lean so far to one side, they find themselves running in circles.
      Or....worst case...they take off in two totally different directions. It would make for an interesting hike, but I don't think you'd get very many miles in. What if they started fighting?
    • For years now I've been wearing Thorlo socks not only for hiking, but for work and around the house too. I don't have separate socks that I save for hiking. Most of them are getting to the point where they'll need replacement before too long. I'm wondering if I should make the switch to Darn Tough as they seem to be liked by many folks. If I do I'll probably get a few pair just for hiking and then get some generic socks for everyday work wear. What's the consensus here, are Darn Tough the way to go for hiking socks?
    • I'm guessing the consensus will be yes.

I like Thorlo socks and also wore them for hiking and casual wear. But I stopped buying them about a year ago for hiking as they just wear out too fast. For hiking I get wool socks from REI or their outlet when they go on sale. Many times this ends up being REI brand, although once I snagged a discontinued Darn Tough. I'm not brand loyal; if I can find a relatively thin quarter high wool sock I'm satisfied.
      2,000 miler
    • I've been wearing Darn Tough for about 6 or 7 years. Every day. You are smart to look at buying a few of their different socks to try out. I've actually found that while I wear a 13 shoe and usually buy size 13 socks, for Darn Tough, I use size 12. They fit better. I like the medium to heavy padded socks but I have terrible feet to begin with so the cushion helps. I've never bothered to send any back. I find a pair lasts a LONG time. I usually snag them out doing cross country orienteering or something.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I'm guessing the consensus will be yes.

I like Thorlo socks and also wore them for hiking and casual wear. But I stopped buying them about a year ago for hiking as they just wear out too fast.............
      Mine must be in the 8 to 10 year old range.I'm cheap and use things until I just can't any more.
      I've definitely gotten my money's worth.
      You bought em before they improved em. :) They used to last a lot longer than they do now.
      2,000 miler
    • I wear DT every day. I have a few of black/dark non cushion socks for dressier occasions and a few micro crew cushion for hiking (but everyday use as well). I will usually wear one pair for a week or more before they go in the laundry, especially in the winter when there isn't much to get them dirty or sweaty. I have had a number replaced with their lifetime replacement policy. They do wear out eventually. BTW, with regard to the replacement policy, there are some that claim that wearing a sock for 5 year and then asking for a replacement is an abuse of the guarantee policy. For some shops, this would be true. But the DT web site clearly states that they are not guaranteed for defects, but they are replaced for wearing out for any reason, including normal wear, as long as they wear out from being on your feet (not guaranteed for burning them on a camp fire or dog teeth, lost in dryer etc...). The say that they collect the worn out socks (you must return them to claim a replacement) so they can study them to make socks better. It's a fascinating business model. One other thing, I do find these are sock you need to "break in". At first they may not seem to fit quite right. You have to stick with them. After a while, they will conform to the shape of your foot. Going two week without washing them will help a lot.
    • Hmmm.....I wear a new clean pair everyday. My feet are a wreck for several reasons. But I do get fungus issues, even just small fluid filled blisters from sweat. Years ago, when I wore a suit to work, my doctor advised me to change out of the dress socks when I got home. He also advised to have enough work shoes to never wear the same pair two days in a row. I violate that with my Merrell's! And so have two pairs of socks worn each day. On trail, I carry three. One to sleep in. One on my feet. The other one got rinsed out and hung on the pack to dry and then over the hammock ridge line or under me overnight to try and dry it out.
      But to each their own.

And yes the DT socks do seem to want to be worn a time or three to conform to your feet. After a few wear/wash cycles with new socks, I can then see fresh laundered socks seem to take on a "I've been worn on your left foot" appearance.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • max.patch wrote:

I like Thorlo socks and also wore them for hiking and casual wear. But I stopped buying them about a year ago for hiking as they just wear out too fast
      Well, I was obviously confused when I wrote this.

Cross out "Thorlo socks" and substitute "Wright socks" the above post is 100% correct.

Back to Thorlo socks...

I wore Thorlos for 10-12 years and loved them. No blisters, and they fit my foot/boots perfectly. About halfway thru my thru my wool ragg socks were becoming "compressed" so I wanted to replace them with some new ones. In whatever trail town I was in there were no wool ragg socks to be found. But I saw Thorlos and thought I'd give them a try. They worked perfectly and I had no complaints. So I never did replace those wool ragg socks with new ones. At the time I wore a midweight leather boot. Shortly after my thru -- my boots were toast when I finished -- I replaced them with lightweight fabric Hi-Tec boots which were very popular at the time. I wore Hi-Tec for about 10 years, and then switched to trail runners for good. When I switched the Thorlos were too thick to wear with trail runners so I switched to various thinner socks for good. I still have 2 pairs of Thorlos left; I wore them for a time when skiing but I think those days are over for good. If I was still wearing boots I'd probably still be using Thorlos -- they were a great sock and there was really no reason to change other than change of footwear.

In the 90's Wingfoot endorsed Thorlos; and his picture and a new words of why Thorlos were great were on the cardboard sleeve that held the socks. Should saved one of those. :)
      2,000 miler
    • I finally bought a couple of pair of Darn Tough socks in preparation for our trip to Maine. I bought what they called a Hiking/Treking, full cushion, boot sock. The hiking/trekking part tells me what the expected use is, the term full cushion seems to mean same thickness all over, while boot sock means full hight crew sock. I've used one pair on an 8 - 9 mile walk last weekend. It seemed to do the job just fine. Now I'll just have to wait to see how they last.