Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pickle Branch to Daleville

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pickle Branch to Daleville

Septembrr 25 to 30, I am finally heading out for a little walk to take in Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs. Will get to meet HM aaannnnddd experience the humanity that is the Greyhound passenger for the first time.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuck, I did that this summer (Newport VA42 to James River Foot Bridge). The Virgina Triple Crown is pretty neat, I just hope have better weather than I had (fog/clouds). Hopefully it will rain some since I was there in July (pretty dry then, especially around McAfee Knob). Getting to meet HM is a real treat.

I assume you will not be riding for 24 hours on Greyhound like I did, so if a shorter trip just enjoy the WiFi and electricity. You will probably have the opportunity to meet some interesting people on the bus. It has changed a lot since I took a trip with my mother nearly 50 years ago, or for that matter 33 years ago (my last trip before last summer).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Tuck, I did that this summer (Newport VA42 to James River Foot Bridge). The Virgina Triple Crown is pretty neat, I just hope have better weather than I had (fog/clouds). Hopefully it will rain some since I was there in July (pretty dry then, especially around McAfee Knob). Getting to meet HM is a real treat.

I assume you will not be riding for 24 hours on Greyhound like I did, so if a shorter trip just enjoy the WiFi and electricity. You will probably have the opportunity to meet some interesting people on the bus. It has changed a lot since I took a trip with my mother nearly 50 years ago, or for that matter 33 years ago (my last trip before last summer).

I dont think the hound will be too bad. The driving time from Williamsburg to Roanoke is 5 hours but the trip is 10 because of a 5 hour layover for a transfer in Richmond. Fine with me as the Battle Abby (Virginia Historical Society) is only a few blocks up Boulevard and the Stonewall Jackson monument is right there at Monument Ave too.

As for the hike I only plan to take it easy and allowing 4 days for 33 miles. I am not in any hurry and just going to enjoy a stroll.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Re: Pickle Branch to Daleville

water maybe dry at the three shelters just south of MacAfee. Lambert Meadow is pretty reliable . If going nobo tank up before you head up the mountain to MacAfee . HM can tell u more about the water situation .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • That's a good section of trail and bus riding wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, left my truck in Pearisburg and hiked to Harper's Ferry last October, caught the train from Harper's to DC ($11) and the Megabus from DC to Christiansburg ($24) and a shuttle from Christiansburg to Pearisburg ($40)...then a long but relaxing drive back to AL. I intended to call HM and see if she'd let me buy her dinner but I got tied up with a hiker that needed some help and didn't get to, tell her Drybones says hello.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

excellent section. be careful and take your time if you are doing dragons tooth nobo.

Good advice from JJ there. Since my trip got reduced from 6 to 3 weeks (coaching my sons baseball All Star team for the last time), I was trying to hurry through there and started out averaging around 16 miles a day. I hurt my leg (pulled a muscle somehow there) there. Did 18 miles the next day down to Daleville, and even though taking it easy at only 10-12 miles the next 5 days, never did heal up, and just kept getting worse. So I punted and decided to head home and get a fresh start with at least 5 weeks next summer.

Please make sure you have plenty of water. It was really dry when I was there in July.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General