Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

You Can't Get There From Here.....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• You Can't Get There From Here.....

Snacktime and I need a shuttle from Hightower Gap (Winding Stair Gap Rd?) to USFS42 by Springer. It's a journey of 6.3 miles. So far I've been quoted $60...any ideas where I can get a better price than that?

We're also going to need one from Deep Gap to Dick's Creek Gap, from Hot Springs to Max Patch, from Newfound Gap to Clingman's Dome, and from Elmer to Rt 19E.

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations on shuttlers, lodging, and extracurriculars.

Thanks.

i don't know if you can beat the price from springer to hightower gap (they are both on fs 42) from an established shuttler.

if you are starting on a weekend you can park at hightower gap and hike south to springer. there is a good chance you could hitch a ride from the springer lot back to hightower -- but no guarantees so you should be prepared both time wise and food wise in case you have to hike back. you will have a better chance catching a ride from springer to hightower than vice versa.

lot of people on wb and a few here hike that section often. if you post just before you leave you may be lucky enough to find someone who can help you out.
      2,000 miler

I realize that I am not helping you. I don't understand why everybody pays for shuttles. It does makes sense to shuttle if you have two cars.

I guess I'm a cheap bastard. I usually hike one way for one, two, three or four days and then come back the way I came. Does anybody else do this? Am I doing it wrong again? Will I be banned?

One time I did hitch hike back up to Carvers Gap from the town of Roan Mountain. That was an easy direct hitch.

Ron Brown quoted me $140....or $100 if we used him for both. Not that it matters since both those figures are completely out of our budget.

We'll probably park at Three Forks and flip flop for the Springer to Hawk Mtn. part. Either that or we'll get a ride from the Hiker Hostel in Dalonega...unless someone recommends a local with a better price.

The Dicks Creek/Deep Gap might be scrapped for a better option.

i don't pay for shuttles either. i either hike with someone else and we each take a car or i go out and back. out and backs don't bother me a bit. different experience each way.

i have paid for exactly 2 shuttles in my life. when i hiked the whites on vacation i used the amc shuttle bus to get from one end to the other, and when i hiked the state of vermont i rode the bus from hanover to williamstown.
      2,000 miler

Try contacting Gene Roll... He has shuttled me and my hound/hiking budz many times over the last 3 years between Springer and Unicoi Gap, VERY reasonable fees, and MAD local knowledge of other trails in the area too... He's on WB... I can PM you his cell if need be...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

grayblazer wrote:

I realize that I am not helping you. I don't understand why everybody pays for shuttles. It does makes sense to shuttle if you have two cars.

I guess I'm a cheap bastard. I usually hike one way for one, two, three or four days and then come back the way I came. Does anybody else do this? Am I doing it wrong again? Will I be banned?

One time I did hitch hike back up to Carvers Gap from the town of Roan Mountain. That was an easy direct hitch.

i do out and backs all the time, unless threes simple transportation farther along. just did one in mass last week.
      its all good

You will be able to easily hitch from Newfound Gap to Clingman's Dome. Newfound Gap being right at the intersection of the road that goes up to Clingman's Dome. It's a regular road and there's a fair amount of traffic up to it.

As far as the Springer section, have you considered hiking Springer to Woody Gap? If you do, the Hiker Hostel would be the best thing to stay at the night before you hike, leave your car there and shuttle to Springer, hike to Woody Gap then Hiker Hostel will pick you up for free from Woody Gap and bring you back.

Depending on when you do Dick's Creek Gap to Deep Gap, you could get lucky. I camped at Bly Gap and there were 4 rocket scientists who were out for the weekend. They had staged cars in Hiawasee, Dick's Creek Gap and 2 at Deep Gap. They would have been willing to give me a ride to Hiawasee if I had wanted it.

Teacher wrote:

Snacktime and I need a shuttle from Hightower Gap (Winding Stair Gap Rd?) to USFS42 by Springer. It's a journey of 6.3 miles. So far I've been quoted $60...any ideas where I can get a better price than that?

We're also going to need one from Deep Gap to Dick's Creek Gap, from Hot Springs to Max Patch, from Newfound Gap to Clingman's Dome, and from Elmer to Rt 19E.

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations on shuttlers, lodging, and extracurriculars.

Thanks.
      it's probabably because the nearest shuttler has to cover a lot of ground just to get to hightower gap then onto springer. most likely a 60 mile round trip for the shuttler. try the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. http://www.hikerhostel.com/

Toli wrote:

Try contacting Gene Roll... He has shuttled me and my hound/hiking budz many times over the last 3 years between Springer and Unicoi Gap, VERY reasonable fees, and MAD local knowledge of other trails in the area too... He's on WB... I can PM you his cell if need be...

That would be great, thanks!

"Grayblazer"post=3511 wrote:

You could easily do that in and back in two and a half days. Start at either end. That's a great hike. Camp on the ridge near the shelter in NC.

It would take us 2 days just to make it in one direction (5-7 miles per day), but we can always turn around at that gnarly tree which, along with the state line, is all I wanted to see anyway.

I don't mind retracing my steps for a few miles, but when it gets to full days it seems like wasted energy somehow.

TrainWreck wrote:

Depending on whether we are in the area or not at the time you're in the Deep Gap/Dicks Creek Gap section, I might be able to help you out. Just don't call me a trail angel ;)

That would really be terrific if it worked out....we'd get the extra bonus of meeting you! Could we call you a seque seraphim?

It would take us 2 days just to make it in one direction (5-7 miles per day), but we can always turn around at that gnarly tree which, along with the state line, is all I wanted to see anyway.

I don't mind retracing my steps for a few miles, but when it gets to full days it seems like wasted energy somehow.[/quote]

HYOH. That is a beautiful section. The hike up the hill into NC is not as bad as people say it is and it's pretty flat after that into Deep Gap. The tent sites on the ridge above the shelter have very pretty views. I'm talking about the shelter just inside NC.

Thanks Toli

I think you must mean Muskrat Creek Shelter...about 11 miles from Dick's Creek Gap. We can't make that in one day. I figured the farthest we'd get might be Bly Gap Campground if we made the trip in 2 days, If we took 3 days we'd stay at Plumorchard then Muskrat.

Teacher wrote:

Thanks Toli

I think you must mean Muskrat Creek Shelter...about 11 miles from Dick's Creek Gap. We can't make that in one day. I figured the farthest we'd get might be Bly Gap Campground if we made the trip in 2 days, If we took 3 days we'd stay at Plumorchard then Muskrat.
      Not Dicks Creek Gap, I lived on Dicks Creek, Its between Woody and Neel Gap, in the Chattahoochee(SP) Forest... I could and did walk out my door to Neel Gap many times... Gene lives in Grassy Gap...

That would be correct... Lots of places to tent around Woods Hole Shelter, keep in mind its on a "Blue Blaze" trail off the AT, and you need to get water before you get there, as the shelter is dry... There are Bear cables and a Fire ring, tho... No real camping spots near Blood Mountain Shelter, and they cemented the fireplace up, and you sleep on stone... BTW, no cables... Keep an eye out for "FatMan" and his bride and hound dogs Toby and Cooper, he lives in Grassy Gap and hikes the loop from Gooch to Woody almost every weekend... Tell 'em Toli sends his love :P

Toli wrote:

Keep an eye out for "FatMan" and his bride and hound dogs Toby and Cooper, he lives in Grassy Gap and hikes the loop from Gooch to Woody almost every weekend... Tell 'em Toli sends his love :P

That's cool. Hope you run into the guy teach and can deliver the message. Cool.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

Toli wrote:

Keep an eye out for "FatMan" and his bride and hound dogs Toby and Cooper, he lives in Grassy Gap and hikes the loop from Gooch to Woody almost every weekend... Tell 'em Toli sends his love :P

"FatMan" is good people 49.gif ... Check out his weather station he set up... Here's the link to his WB post...
      http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79663-Grassy-Gap-AT-(Suches-GA)-Weather-Station-now-online&highlight=
      Hope this is helpful, Teach...

Not intending to hijack the thread but the title seemed as fitting a place to ask this. Does anybody have or has anybody made a list of GPS coordinates for all the trail heads on the AT?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Teacher wrote:

Thanks.

Sounds like you guys have a to-do list....enjoy.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

Toli wrote:

milkman wrote:

Toli wrote:

"FatMan" is good people 49.gif ... Check out his weather station he set up... Here's the link to his WB post...
      http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79663-Grassy-Gap-AT-(Suches-GA)-Weather-Station-now-online&highlight=
      Hope this is helpful, Teach...
      Toli, maybe shoot Fatman a e-mail to let him know his Hecto Pascals is off line, hehe...cool web page!

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGASUCHE4&day=12&year=2013&month=12&graphspan=month

milkman wrote:

Not intending to hijack the thread but the title seemed as fitting a place to ask this. Does anybody have or has anybody made a list of GPS coordinates for all the trail heads on the AT?

ATC has 'Trailhead Parking' waypoints that would make a good start.
      appalachiantrail.org/about-the…achian-trail-gis-gps-data

If the link doesn't work, agree to the terms and conditions first.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.